Tried some 190 ABLR's in my 30-06 today

JohnB

Beginner
Feb 5, 2011
Tried 59 grains of Reloder 22 with a 190 ABLR in my 30-06. Fired the 100 yard group over the chronograph. Velocities were 2795, 2801, and 2807 ft/sec. Adjusted scope 3 clicks up and 2 clicks right after the 100 yard group and then shot 2 groups at 250 yds.

That's some very nice shooting... What brand of '06 do you have? I have been working with my Rem. 700 CDL and 180 Accubonds and Partitions. Thus far groups of your quality have evaded me.. :( I have fairly good results with Accubonds and 61.0 gr of Reloder 22. Glad to have time to tweak loads and equipment before next season.

It is always comforting when a load comes together. Fine load and fine shooting--riflery to make one proud.

John,

Nicely done! That is a smokin' speed out of the 30-06.
You are set to hunt almost anything in NA.

JD338

Thanks DrMike. I have been waiting to try the 190 ABLR's for a while.

Rol_P

It's a rifle I had built on a Stiller Tac 300 Action. Stiller fitted a Kreiger 5R barrel to the action for me. It's a Remington Varmint contour at 26 in. I dropped the barreled action into an HS Precision stock. It will shoot about anything reasonably well. Berger's 200 grain hybrid has produced some really good groups.

Keep working with that CDL. I had a 700 SPS in 30-06 a few years ago that would shoot under 2 inches at 300 yards with 168 Ballistic tips and IMR 4064.

JohnB

JD338

I wasn't expecting to see 2800. I thought 2700 or so would be it. I didn't see any signs of high pressure though. I was using Norma Brass which is pretty light at around 180 grains. The rifle also has a 26 in barrel.

JohnB

The 26" barrel is giving you some extra velocity for sure. I would say with groups like that your load development is complete, great job :)

Well done .
I had all the rifle I ever needed when dad bought me an '06 at the age of 8.
Then RADD kicked in.
You're set for life in the lower 48 !

Wow! That's one bad mambajamba. Congrats on a great bullet, load, rifle, and skill set. I look forward to some pics in the game field with that bad boy in the future!

Joe

Could you post us up a couple pictures of the rifle and of some loaded rounds!! If not for all of us, well then just for me!! :mrgreen:

OUTSTANDING, that is a great load and great shooting. As already posted your load development is probably done.

SJB358":2hk2kvuo said:
Hegland":2hk2kvuo said:
Yep, that makes the ol' -06 seem almost relevant again, doesn't it?! :) Nice job!

Lets not get crazy around here.... :grin:
Well lets see right now I have 5 rifles in 4 calibers. if push came to shove I would pick up my trusty 30-06 long before I would pick up the weatherby 300 mag and probably grab the 257 Roberts second because I know I can thread a needle with it.
And guess which one I have two of if you say the 30-06 you would be right , Yes one is waiting for a rebore to .35 whelen but still my favorite caliber for now and now has been a life time so far. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments everybody. Here are some pictures as requested.

John that is a heck of a rifle with a dandy load for that 06 :wink: congratulations!

Blessings,
Dan

Back