120gr Speer SBT

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Considering the winds in Kansas can be ugly, and trying to decide what to shoot there this fall, knowing full well
The shot may end up being a long ways off, with a bad crosswind a possibility.
I am looking hard at some Speer 120gr SBT bullets with a BC of .480, has anyone got a better suggestion??
Or know something bad about them??? With all the storys I am hearing about the wind out there, I want something
With a super high BC to buck that wind ?? These Speers seam to have Berger sorta numbers ........
E

Already asked on another thread, but where in KS will you be hunting, Earle?

Go with the 115 gr BT and don't look back.

JD338

Mike,
We are staying in Aurora ,at an old farm a guy from here bought back in 1969 ! They started hunting out there just for birds
With the setters about 10 years ago and was seeing so many bucks just started to hunt deer as well....... I tryed searching a few strings and cant seam to locate that thread??? Mike can you post the link to that thread you mentioned so I can read it?

Jim,
The BT is a great bullet thats for sure, and with its high BC would be a beauty as well, been watching SPS for some 2nds, but never seen any since I bought the gun? If they ever have them on sale this summer I will certainly grab some! But at $20/22 for a box of 50?? They are right at Berger prices.................. :shock:
Here is what a fella from Arizona had to say about the Speers!
"This is a very accurate bullet in my Remington 25-06, and I love its high ballistic coefficient. But I wondered what they would do on a big animal like an elk. Well, I just bagged a big Arizona cow with it. Bullet entered below the right shoulder, took off the top of the heart and lower lungs, penetrated the far ribs with about a two inch hole, and created heavy damage to the offside front leg. This was at 150 yards, with a muzzle velocity of 2925 FPS (which is not max, but is most accurate in my rifle). Obviously the elk went down in a hurry. Can't image what more I could ask for out of a bullet."
E

I have no feedback on the SBT but I've had excellent results over the years with the Speer 120gr Flat Base Spitzer Hot-Cor. Accuracy has always been good in my rifles with several different powders. As for toughness and penetration I have never recovered one from a deer that I've shot with it. I would expect performance to be no less from the SBT.

I have loaded the 120 hot core for a lot of years. Never a failure, and rarely recover one. I also load them for a buddy, and he uses them for elk and moose with great results. Excellent bullet and accurate.

Guybo, RG,
That sure sounds great, hopefully we will get a chance to report back exactly how they worked a big old Kansas Whitetail!
E

I looked yesterday when I stopped to grab some powder. Had plenty of Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and Bergers but no Speers. Would've grabbed some. Guess I'll grab some the next time I make a mail order.

Blackhawk down with the 100gr Pro Hunters.......... not real impressed, instant kill but bullet whistled right straight thru at 300 yards.......... must have tooooooo thick a jacket for a coyote? That is just what I was wondering, with so many folks saying its a great bullet for deer! I bet it is!
Think I better drop down to something, with a lot less jacket thickness....... tiny entrance hole , smallish exit hole......... thinkin those 90gr Blitzkings, would work alot better for us ,on coyotes! Certainly wouldnt hesitate to try a deer with these Pro Hunters though?
E

Only 120gr I ever used was the old Hornady 120HP. I was using a 257 Roberts AI seated out long (a tad over 3" OL) and a case full of IMR 4350. My friend killed deer and hogs with it, but never over about 150yds. it was an great bullet. I only used it ( 10 miles back in the deer lease, off season) to shoot called in crows with it! My longest shot was a smidge over 200yds, but it would make the feathers and the yellow guts fly! ha. I don't even know if they are available anymore. I can't see why that 120 Speer BT wouldn't work swell in the 25 Whelen! I say go for it.

preacher":16v6stpq said:
Only 120gr I ever used was the old Hornady 120HP. I was using a 257 Roberts AI seated out long (a tad over 3" OL) and a case full of IMR 4350. My friend killed deer and hogs with it, but never over about 150yds. it was an great bullet. I only used it ( 10 miles back in the deer lease, off season) to shoot called in crows with it! My longest shot was a smidge over 200yds, but it would make the feathers and the yellow guts fly! ha. I don't even know if they are available anymore. I can't see why that 120 Speer BT wouldn't work swell in the 25 Whelen! I say go for it.

I "think" they are discontinuing those 120 HPBT's Jim, but my local store has a slew of them. Thinking about grabbing a couple boxes. They are really inexpensive and should work excellent on deer as well.

E, did you hit any bone at all on that coyote? What did the hide look like on exit.

The local store has those 90 Sierra BK's... Was real tempted to grab a box of them...

Nosler 115 gr Blue Cyclone Ballistic Tips for the .25-06, (y)

340 yd Wyoming mulie... :grin:

I think the .25-06 does a mighty fine job with a whole bunch of different bullets.

Need to check the twist on my son's ancient .257 Wby - it seems to like the 100's better.

Guy

While I think the 115 BT would be the better overall bullet, the 120 Speer BTSP is a fine choice for deer especially. I have two .25-06 rifles and they both shoot under an inch for 5 shots with 49 grains of IMR 4350 and that Speer 120. Interestingly enough, they don't like H4350 with any bullet over 100 grains in weight that I have ever tried.

I try not to be so singular in my powder choices but why fix it if it isn't broken?

But then again I'm old-fashioned...

Dale

Dale,
Why do you feel the 115 BT is a better overall bullet, where would it out perform the Speer the most?
The internet is loaded with high praise on this Speer bullet, because I know you have extensive experences
With the 25 Whelen, I am of course interested in your viewpoints?
E

Earle -

The main plus for me where the 115 Ballistic Tip is concerned stems from the Solid Base and thicker jacket. The Speer Hot-Cor bullets do seem to not have jacket/core separation like you will sometimes see with other cup and core designs. And the Speer is nearly half the price of the Ballistic Tip.

The Solid Base and thicker jackets of the BT leads to better retention and penetration. Penetration is not near as big of an issue where deer are concerned in my opinion but it never hurts either. Especially if you have a Black Bear tag in your pocket, or come across a feral hog.

Interestingly enough, the 110 AccuBond is one I have had a particularly tough time getting to shoot well with several powders I have tried in both the Remington and the Mauser. My .30-06 doesn't care for Accubonds either it seems, though the BT and PT are very princely in their accuracy.

In no way do I wish to knock the Speer as it has performed admirably in both my .25-06 rifles. Still, the better design of the Nosler (which shoots just as well), to me, makes it the better all-around choice.

For what it's worth my friend.

Dale

I've had very good results with the Speer 120gr Spitzer in 2 different rifles that I've loaded it for. Accuracy has always been good with various powders and on game performance has been excellent for me with no penetration problems, bullet failures or bullet recovery. I've killed deer from 50yds out to 350yds with it and it's always been a solid performer for me. Here's a couple targets that I had from previous loads I worked up.

Back