IMR 4166 for 308 WIN...

sargeny1

Beginner
Jan 3, 2008
Hi All...Has anyone tried or has some data for this new IMR 4166 for 308 Win...? Varget seems to be unobtanium again and am looking for an alternative....specifically with Nosler 150 and 165 Partitions and Accubonds...
Thanks..
Pete

I am not sure if this is what you would want but I have had more than excellent results with IMR 4064 in my .308 rifles. Especially with 150-165 grain bullets. I have used H414 for the 180s as well.

Its always a bummer when your favorite fuel runs low.

Good luck -

Dale

Around here the enduron powders are running about $6 /# more than what they replaced. ....rat bastards.....lol!

All powder here has jumped $2-$5 per pound in the last month or so.

Don't know what could be causing this. Luckily gas is still below $2 a gallon here though.

Dale

kraky1":9iobmx64 said:
Around here the enduron powders are running about $6 /# more than what they replaced. ....rat bastards.....lol!

Enduron powders are going for $45-55 per pound now in northern Canada. The difference can be accounted for by shipping and hazmat fees. All of them took a big jump in price, and the exchange with the States doesn't make it any easier to buy. :roll:

Even though they are actually made in Canada. Those powders should be a lot cheaper here :?

sargeny1":1cjy12fx said:
Hi All...Has anyone tried or has some data for this new IMR 4166 for 308 Win...? Varget seems to be unobtanium again and am looking for an alternative....specifically with Nosler 150 and 165 Partitions and Accubonds...
Thanks..
Pete

I have a couple lbs of 4166 that I was going to test in a 6BR. Hodgdon website says 43-48 grains with the 150 Nosler BT. It has almost the same burn rate as Varget/ R15, so I think you can use the starting load and work up from there. It's not supposed to be temp sensitive so you should be able to use that info regardless of where you live. The grains of 4166 seem a bit more bulky than Varget when I compared them.

I guess I should be happy ....we have 2 small town gun shops here. One is pretty aggressive at stocking reloading components. And as luck would have it they rarely remark inventory as prices change. I just picked up a 5# jug of re17 for $99.
They are selling the enduron powders for under $30 a pound.

sargeny1":739niag3 said:
Thanks..
Pete

See here from Nosler 8th Edition

308 4166 150 bullet.jpg

308 4166 165 bullet.jpg

going all the way way back to the OP,

Yes I've tried IMR-4166. I developed a load and went to the chronograph to confirm.

I use a 150gr FMJ over 42.2gr of IMR-4166 in a Federal once-fired case, lit it with a CCI-34 primer, and it got me in the mid-2600's MV from a 20" barrel. The group size was decent enough for my intended purpose of plinking.

Changing to the CCI-200 primer cause the shots to disperse to the point of being unpredictable. I measured velocities in the low 2600's MV.

A different load of 168's and IMR-4166 is also consistent. Sub-MOA on any given day.

So the takeaway is 'yes IMR-4166 works with certain components combinations' and you have to test it for yourself.

The information presented here works in my .308 Win. You're responsible for your own load development and testing.

Back