Bergers new 170gr Elite Hunter?

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Looks like this bullet is going to open up a whole new can of questions for the guys that don't think a .270 is adequate for an Elk or a Moose, gosh this is the best news in years for the old .277!
Again we all have a twist problem to shoot them with 10 twist, however anyone thinking of rebarreling or building a .270 would have to look at this option seriously ? I think we are going to hear about some amazing kills with this bullet, lets hope Nosler does something along these lines with a ABLR for the .270 as well!

I'm finally going ahead with my 270 Win build with a 1 in 9 twist Benchmark that has been sitting here for a couple of years but Berger recommends something closer to a 1 in 8 for that bullet. I want to shoot the 160 gr Partition and 150 gr Ballistic Tip mostly but Matrix makes a 165 gr bullet that should work for me and they are also Canadian made as a bonus. I'm glad that the long neglected 277 bore is getting better bullets and barrels these days.

http://www.matrixballistics.com/.277-Ca ... llets.html

The 150 ABLR, 165 matrix, 170 EOL, and 140 CEB MTH are all on my short list for my 1-8 lightweight build.

Ps for those guys that doubt the 270 on big game, this 9 yr old cow fell to one shot thru the shoulders at 80 yards to my wife's 270. 130gr TTSX complete penetration and lots of internal damage, one of the quickest moose kills I have ever witnessed.

349eba516ff2cf6753c15b7170b1d16b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be watching for how it all works out with your build with great interest. Maybe Berger can send you some data on the 170 gr EOL. Wonder how fast a 270 Win will be able to send it out, 2700-2800 fps maybe top end?

Good stuff. I'd think about rebarreling the WSM should a great hunting Bullet was made that I wanted to use. Those long Bergers are good for 270 guys though. It's about time we received some love.

Bear.
Your wife is ALOT cuter than that old moose, but I bet it was tasty this winter! That 270 is one heck of a caliber that is for sure! Nicely done on the instant kill. Looks like a good sized cow???

Gerry,
Is anyone building a factory .270 that already comes with a 8 twist barrel that would shoot these new bullets?????

Don't think anyone is building one from the factory so it would be a custom barreled gun. On the Berger release where they introduced the bullet they mention this:

"It’s very important to understand the stability requirements of this new bullet. Most 270 rifles do not have a fast enough twist barrel. For full stability, Berger recommends a 1:8” twist or faster.
The Extreme Outer Limits MOA line of rifles are made with faster-than-conventional twist rates to stabilize such long, high performance bullets. The 270 caliber MOA rifle comes with a 1:8.5” twist which is plenty of twist to stabilize the new Berger 170 grain EOL Elite Hunter in all conditions."

It appears that MOA rifle is a 270 WSM

http://www.moarifles.com/rifle-lines/evolution/

That's all I have found so far but getting a barrel screwed on would be pretty easy to get done and much cheaper than going with a gun like that.

What a great excuse to get rid of the 20" barrel on my Hawkeye! Just would seam funny if someone asks," what are you shootin for a load in your .270?" and your answer is oh just some old 170 gr stuff I picked up ! :shock:

A lot of SD on a bullet like that. Set up decently I bet it would be a wicked performer.

Cause the woodliegh has the BC OF A LOAF OF BREAD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry, I am glad to hear the you are placing that Benchmark barrel on your build :wink:. Do you already have a donor rifle?
You know that we will now expect photos & a range report or two (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":e0367hge said:
gerry, I am glad to hear the you are placing that Benchmark barrel on your build :wink:. Do you already have a donor rifle?
You know that we will now expect photos & a range report or two (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Sent you a pm Dan, I should have some range reports by the end of this month if all goes well ;) Looking forward to the new deer, elk and black bear gun :)

FOTIS":1jna2oye said:
I foresee many .277 rebarreling!

The more demand from guys like us getting fast twist 277 caliber rifles the more of these types of bullets will be coming out. This new 170 gr bullet will be nice in a 270 Win but I bet it will really shine in the 270 WSM or Wby. Talk about a low recoil, flat shooting, long range thumper.

nvbroncrider":1jckydwu said:
http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/bullet-lists/traditional/264q-333q

The 180 gr Woodleigh turns a 270 WSM or Wby into a 300 magnum of sorts. If I ever do a 270 Wby one day that one will get a try. Hodgdon shows around 2550 fps in a 270 Win with the 180 gr Barnes which would be a hammer of a load for close range moose and elk.

...all that time & money would buy a real nice .280... :oops: :cry: :roll: :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

Back