22 Nosler Reloads

1Deplorable

Beginner
Mar 18, 2017
Hi, if your interested in reloading for 22 Nosler here is what I have found. My rifle is a Ar Stoner barrel 18" from Midway USA, I believe it is made by ER Shaw.

The most accurate bullet for my Barrel is a Sierra 77 Match King set at 1.86 with 22 cal bullet comparator, just short of 2.3" COAL, shoots sub MOA. Second most accurate is the Sierra 77 TMK shoots sub MOA also but slightly larger groups, that is set at 2.285 COAL. Even thought it shoots slightly larger groups the BC is much higher so I will stick with that bullet.

Nosler reloading data is spot on for this cal, however their loads are MAX and going over their listed load will mark and stress the brass, shorting it's life.

The best powder I found for my gun is LeverEvolution (LVR), 29.2gn with REM Benchrest primers, shoots at 3,040 (with 77 TMK), rare scuff marks on the brass, very acceptable to me. CCI #450 primers are slightly faster (50 fps) and If I use them I back off .5 gn

CFE 223 shoots slower with 29.0 grains, just as accurate but at 29.5 I get slightly more velocity but light ejector marks. (FYI I pulled a factory 22 Nosler 77gn Match bullet, the powder weighed in at 29.5gn)

2000-MR is slightly faster than CFE 223 in this cartridge, it was the most accurate of all the powders I tried however it was running at 2,880 with 29.3 gn with no brass marks. Marks appear after 29.8 gn and accuracy dropped below what I was getting with LVR.

W760 is slower with max loads so I never tested accuracy.
N150 was just right but it's too expensive for me, 29.5 gets 3,020 no brass marks.
RL17 Did not test, 4000-MR is way too slow, 30.0gn gets 2,700

IMR 8208 XBR was very accurate, is fast for this cartridge, 27.0gn gets 2,990 with ejector marks, have to go to 26.3, 2880 for no brass marks.

ARCOMP is also accurate but for no brass marks you have to get below 26.0 gn, than it falls below 2,950.

PowderPro Varmint is the same, need below 28.0 gn for no brass marks then it falls slower than 2000-MR which was more accurate at slower velocities.

RL15, IMR4320,AA 2520,AA 2495 worked good but had slower velocities than LVR and not as accurate, getting more velocity results in ejector marks.

TAC & BenchMark work but to get the same velocity as LVR I got ejector marks and degraded accuracy.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the load data on the 22 Nosler. I am starting an AR 15 build in 22 Nosler.

JD338

I'm curious why I see a lot of people, nosler included, using the 77gr in this cartridge rather than the new 70gr RDF? It's lighter than the 77 so you should be getting higher velocity with the same or better BC....what am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoots_5":28zgf3au said:
I'm curious why I see a lot of people, nosler included, using the 77gr in this cartridge rather than the new 70gr RDF? It's lighter than the 77 so you should be getting higher velocity with the same or better BC....what am I missing?

I doubt it'll work in an AR Mag. Same as the 75 Grain AMax. Great bullet but too long for the AR mags.

SJB358":219y29c8 said:
shoots_5":219y29c8 said:

I doubt it'll work in an AR Mag. Same as the 75 Grain AMax. Great bullet but too long for the AR mags.

I suspect you're correct. Anyone happen to know what the max COAL a 6.8 mag will accept?

Gonna be following this thread. I too am looking at putting together a 22N upper. If any of you guys with one could get a guess on the OAL for one of those long bullets, like the 75/80 A-Max it would help tilt my decision.

I already shoot them in both .223/ 5.56 Wylde and NATO chambers, and would like to try the 22N.
Thanks,
RV

Deplorable,
What dies are you using?
I guess at the moment only RCBS and Redding are making them.

I plan on loading mostly the 75gr A-max when my barrel gets here because I have a BUNCH due to a shipping error from a big box sporting goods store. I had to get a special seating stem for my .223 Hornady die to keep from putting the little ring on the A-Max when seating. The front of these are really delicate and crimp with very little pressure.
Once I shoot up some of the factory stuff I'll have some brass to reload.

Any suggestions on which die set (or individual dies) to get?

Sure glad someone can get 3000fps with a 77gr and an 18" barrel.
Looking forward to shooting mine (a 20").
Waiting, waiting, waiting, guess it won't ship today :(

Thanks Deplorable, I've got some N150 sitting on the back shelf that's been looking for something to do for a while, plus I use a lot of 8208 XBR. I have an 18" Odin Works DMR barrel that's waiting for some gas block issues to be resolved (kudos to Odin for handling the matter very quickly and letting me upgrade to a clamp on adjustable), and have a bunch of brass prepped and primed and ready to load for when I get the rifle running right with factory ammo (Magneto'd the Nosler 77 btw - 5 shot ave of 2951, but ES was 40 - with 2 very close around 2940 and 2 very close at 2970). Plan on trying 77 NCC, 70 rdfs and 75 grain Berger VLDs (I'm sure they'll sit to deep but I'm gonna try!).

What sort of load did you go to with Benchmark? I've got quite a bit of it.

Also, are you running an adjustable gas block? Case head swipes aren't always a sign of over pressure and the rebated rim is definitely the weak link in this cartridge (I can guess why Nosler did it - I wish they hadn't, but I can understand why). I might end up living with some if necessary absent any other signs of over pressure in my quest for a 1000 yard 22 caliber AR15 carbine.

I'm also starting out with the Stoner upper. I had 14 rounds through it when the extractor claw broke off and became a jam-o-matic. I was shooting the 77gr factory stuff.Not sure if it was the ammo or just a bad quality part. Robbed one from another AR but haven't got back out with it yet. Fired off an email to Midway and another extractor is enroute. I'm trying loads mainly with the 55gr bullets for groudhogs. Can't wait to shoot it more,I think it's going to be a winner.

223vs22N-base_zps69ektasb.jpg

Noticed that the base is pretty square. I wonder if that will impact cycling.
It will be this coming weekend before I get to shoot some. I have the 62gr. and the 77gr.
I have the ARP 20 inch barrel and a BCA branded side charging upper and BCG. I'm going to start off with the gas cut off.

Could someone with case swipes post some pictures?
I've looked over the different rifle calibers I have and haven't found a squared off rim like the 22nosler. Anyone have any examples?
I've read where some recommend chamfering the ejector so a case doesn't hang up going in, but what about the case rim?
Could these swipes be because of that?

What would be wrong with removing the sharp edge when I do get around to reloading these?

Oh crap, 5 questions in a single post :)

Searched for Nosler images of the 22 Nosler case.
Even company images show a bevel on the base. The 62gr I got from Nosler and the 77gr I got from Midway have the sharp edged base. Contacted Nolser for info.
22+Nosler+Ammunition

Still learning my way around this forum, guess my questions should go in the Ammunition section.

Berger 75 gr VLD Targets and IMR 8208 XBR.

Had some crazy accuracy working a ladder with these over the weekend and got to the range this afternoon to test velocity. Was dissapointed with the velocity results, but given the bullets G7 BC of 0.217 (by comparison a 168 gr .308 SMK is 0.218), Shooter is telling me it will be >1400 fps at 1000 yards and at my altitude, that puts it in front of the transition zone. So my little 18" 8.5lb 22 caliber carbine should be a reliable 1000 yarder on a calm day. My barrel is the 18" Odin DMR with 1:8 twist and an adjustable gas block. Scope is a 2.5-10x32 Viper HS LR FFP with XLR reticle.

I used GM205 Match primers for the weekend accuracy tests. Was getting a little bit of cratering, remembered they have thin cups, so I used GM205 AR Match primers for velocity testing. No cratering and no swipes or ejector marks on 50 rounds today. I will only use AR Match's for this cartridge moving forward.

I seated the Bergers at 2.295. It sits deep and the bearing surface ends right around the case mouth. I was shocked at the accuracy I was getting - I really wasn't expecting it to work. 26.6 grains of 8208 XBR gave me 1/4" for the first 3 shots. I flinched for the 4th shot which brought it out to .6" and then with the choking out of the way, the 5th went right on top of the 3rd. Unfortunately, 5 shots of 26.6 Magneto'd at 2850 today with an ES of 63 (!?).

I had worked of 10 each of 26.6-27.0 in one grain increments since I had good,accuracy at 26.6/26.8/27.0 (5 for Magneto; 5 for accuracy). I strapped on the Magneto on to do velocity first. The ES's were really high until I got to 27.0 where velocity was 2896 with an ED of 7. Five shots grouped slightly larger than 1/2" when they had been a tad under 1/2" over the weekend. Definitely something to work with for the time being. Also going to try seating them deeper. Grouping spread significantly at 27.2, so I really don't think it makes sense to try to higher with this combo.

I need to order up some more Bergers and will try CFE 223 next and see how fast I can get them to go. Temperature sensitivity is important to me in the mountains and I use a lot of XBR for 223 and Grendel, so I may just end up sticking with 27 grains of XBR and the Berger 75s if it consistently reaches to 1000.

I'm also going to order some 70 gr RDFs to try with CFE, Varget and XBR. RDFs are shorter than the Bergers so im hopeful they will work too. My progress will largely be determined by when my 22" 6.5 Grendel barrel kit arrives from JP Enterprises - tis a season of projects!

Answered my own question about the sharp rims on the 22 Nosler cases. (22 Nosler thread in Ammunition section)
Shaves brass and imprints them into the case.

Battered case heads. Top 3 once fired factory 77's,bottom a reload.

Attachments

• 20170423_201521.jpg
    20170423_201521.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7,569
Wow, those factory loads look warm huh...

Great reports otherwise though, I have 2 boxes of 77gn I'm going to put down my new barrel on Tuesday, so we'll see..??

Those look like a spin type of gouge. Something you would see with an overgassed extraction. Pressure still high when bolt turns to unlock.
Mine seems to be shaving the edges. Single load, gas turned off on mine. I expected gas to be high on these. The 62gr not as hot.
With a 20" barrel I got 3201fps avg.

3037fps avg with the 77gr. That's moving right along.

Turned a slight bevel on the base and will see it that helps next week.
P1220280_zpsgssemkh4.jpg

P1220283_zpsuthpaut8.jpg

Deplorable, thanks for the info on charges.
I've loaded up a few to test this coming weekend (yes, I know it's only Monday).
28.5, 29.0, 29.5grs of CFE223. Using CCI450 and hopefully I won't run hot before I get to the top load.

It looks like my OAL to the lands with the 75 A-Max is 2.480".
I'll be using the 75gr A-Max, loaded long, 2.470", single shot.

If I can get anywhere close to the 77gr factory loads I'll be really happy.
Beveled the rim of a box of Factory and a box of reloads.

Back