375 H&H

stew

Beginner
Feb 6, 2016
A friend dropped off his gun to see if could find a decent load for his 375 H&H mag
Bullets I have are 300gr sierra I don't have a sierra manual. Powders I have are H4350 and Imr 4831 I found some load data for the H4350 for it. Any one have some for the IMR 4831. For those that shoot this caliber which of those 2 powders would they recommend. I may be able to get some IMR 4895 if it is better. I also only have 20 brass to work with so hoping can find some thing decent fairly quick.
Thanks for any info you have.

Stew,

Sierra lists IMR 4350 as producing the highest velocity with a maximum charge of 78.7 grains. IMR 4831 lists a maximum charge of 78.0 grains. A maximum charge of IMR 4895 is listed as 64.4 grains. Their recommended hunting load is 68.0 grains of IMR 4064 and the accuracy load is 66.7 grains of IMR 4064.

I use H-4350 and 300 gr Sierras in my .375 H&H.

The specs are 79.5 grs H-4350,Rem 9 1/2 Mag primer and Remington brass. That load is averaging 2630 fps from the 24" barrel.

H-4350 is my go to powder in a .375 H&H,second choice would be RL-15.

The above load info was found in the Hodgedon Annual Reloading Manual. Their max is 81.5 grs with a velocity of 2645 fps.

Good info Ken!

I'm hooked on two powders for the .375 H&H: RL-15 and H4350. Both work great. The 300 gr Sierra is an accurate bullet. The only "game" I've ever shot with the Sierra was an unfortunate rock chuck... He had the temerity to show up at the range when the only scoped rifle I had was my .375, and I'd just been practicing with the 300 gr Sierra soft points... Oh my, that worked!

75 grains of H4350 has worked well with every 300 grain bullet I've tried. Depending on the bullet, it produces velocities in the low to mid 2500's, and good accuracy. I had quite a mix of different 300's when I got started with the .375, and found I could safely use that powder charge with any of them.

The only thing bad about H4350, is that it seems difficult to obtain lately.

RL-15 has done wonderfully for me with lighter 260 and 270 grain bullets, but H4350 works well with them too.

No need to get too worked up about trying for max 2600 fps velocity with the 300's. Much 300 gr factory ammo only produces mid 2400 fps velocities, and works just fine on big game.

I always use magnum rifle primers with the .375, either Federal or CCI.

Regards, Guy

IMR-4350 and Var-Get are two other powders that work well in a .375 H&H.

IMR-4350 is easier to find than the H-4350.

I've heard that Rock Chuck's were tenacious little buggers, but I thought a 338 WM was considered the GOTO cartridge.

Gunner46":1jqfv06y said:
I've heard that Rock Chuck's were tenacious little buggers, but I thought a 338 WM was considered the GOTO cartridge.

Sadly, the only scoped rifle I had on hand was my .375 H&H, Ruger Number One with some very warm 300 grain Sierra soft-point ammo... So, I just had to make-do with what I had... :mrgreen:

Now I have shot three black bears with my .375 H&H, but I dropped down to the 260 grain Nosler AccuBond for those furry rascals.

Guy

Thanks for the info guys got a few loaded to go try. Hodgdons site said min for H4350 was 77 gr so started there and was going to go up but don't no if could get any more in, so stopped there and loaded a few at guys load of 75 gr. There is quit a jump on them as well to make them fit in the magazine. Gun is a Sako AV.

Have you fired a rifle of that power level (4,000 ft lbs energy) much before?

I find the .375 to be very accurate, but... being smart about how it's fired is important. It's not at all like shooting my .25-06 rifle! :grin:

Guy Miner":1a18xtxq said:
Have you fired a rifle of that power level (4,000 ft lbs energy) much before?

I find the .375 to be very accurate, but... being smart about how it's fired is important. It's not at all like shooting my .25-06 rifle! :grin:

Shot another guys a few times but no not much, shot the 338 a fair bit and years ago
shot another guys 570 nitro I think that's what it was may have the numbers wrong.
This 375 is not mine just trying to find a load for a friend he has shoulder issues and can not take much shooting so cant do the load developing.
The same with my 338 I figured out the loads then he checks to see that point of impact is the same with a few shots then he uses it. He has had to many operations on his shoulder to shoot the larger calibers much.
I prefer to shoot the 7mm-08,280, 30-06, 7mm mag put like to try these other guns and usually take one or two of the others along with me to shoot as well. Plus they are cheaper to shoot.

Usually though, the .375 is fairly mellow. I've always thought the recoil was more like a big push, rather than the sharp punch of some of the other magnums.

I hope you find a load that will serve.

Regards, Guy

I used 76gr WW760 with the 300 SBT. Around 2600 out of my 24" Mod 700 BDL SS So, I too would think you will find a sweetspot with H4350 between 75-79gr. Have a ball!

Not a ton of experience with 375's but I use RL15 with 260 Partitions for a good friend in Idaho. He has taken elk, bear and deer with the loads and reports it's excellent. I have never chrono'ed them but I'd imagine they are running about 2600-2700. He is running them out of a 700 bolt gun and says three shots will easily touch if he has a good rest. For him, he sends empties and I reload them.. I wished I could make my reloading that simple!! Hahahaha

Well got out and tried a few 2 shot loads and think I have found one that will try seated just a bit deeper and see what happens. All loads were with H4350 I may try one or 2 next time with some IMR 4831 just to see for have so much more of it.

I opted to try the 260 Partition with RL15.
b0d117d7b527c6121c738c9028c43e20.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried a bunch of different things with the H4350 the best 3 shot group was around 1 1/2 inches was using my buddys federal primers with these loads. Pretty much all ways had 2 good and a flyer and always vertical.
I decided to try the IMR 4831 with CCI primers which is all I use and found a load I like with 75 grs. Shoots a 3/4 inch 3 shot group. 77grs shot well also but only did 1 2 shot test group with it. Will adjust the scope now so hitting a couple inches high at a hundred and load some up for him to try and use on his bear hunt.

Sounds like that will work well. I haven't done much load testing with mine. Always good to see what is working for somebody else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got some 235 gr Speers coming to try as well as some old stock 270 gr nosler partitions to try that got in a package deal with some old stock Winchester brass.
Also got a text from my buddy saying he has a bear down but not sure which gun he used the 375 or 338 he is still out there for a week looking for a black bear now. Before he left asked him to find the bullet if possible.

Wow. I doubt he'll recover a 375 or 338 on a black bear unless it's a really awesome bear. Would guess it passed through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back