7x57 brass

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
For you guys that have used new Federal 7x57 brass ( or reloaded fired factory cases) was it soft or hard compared to Remington, etc? I can get the Federal blue box 140 load where I p/u the rifle. I figure, if its worth fooling with, I can get 2 boxes, shoot them up as I go and later on work up loads with them...modern, higher pressure loads. Any good reviews?

preacher":20f1kdyo said:
For you guys that have used new Federal 7x57 brass ( or reloaded fired factory cases) was it soft or hard compared to Remington, etc? I can get the Federal blue box 140 load where I p/u the rifle. I figure, if its worth fooling with, I can get 2 boxes, shoot them up as I go and later on work up loads with them...modern, higher pressure loads. Any good reviews?

Never reloaded any of it Jim. I can't imagine it's horrible. I bought into a bunch of Norma for our 7x57 and it has been money well spent since it lasts so darned long.

Thanks Marine... I hope the rifle is ready to go but until I inspect it I don't know if the former owner/owners did any bedding or trigger work. I do know that it was fitted for a Mod 70 type safety. If it needs a bit of tweaking I'll just wait and order some new brass, probably the Privi at first. I start a pt job at Home Depot today so I'll get around to p/u the rifle this week sometime. Thanks again pard.

MY preference in the 7x57 and just about everything I do load is Winchester first, Remington second and Federal last. I have used all three in the 7x57 and Federal is a bit softer than the other two and Winchester the hardest. I load the Federal to specs for the 1893/95 Mausers and they last reasonably well. A 140 gr. bullet in the 2600 FPS kills deer right nicely. I have loaded 140 gr. Ballistic tips to 2800 FPS in winchester brass which works a lot better, at least in getting a bit more range.
Right now I have a load work up using the 160 gr. Grand Slam. Only problem is finding a free day to go to the range. :(
Paul B.

Scotty- do you load the Norma brass at decent pressures, warm loads?
PJ- have you ever tried any Norma and how did it compare with the others?
I wonder how the privy compares to Winchester, you guys know?

I have not tried Norma brass in the 7x57. I did use it when it was all I could find years ago when loading the 6.5x54 M/S but it was quite soft back then (1975) and even just duplicating factory level loads ended up with loose primer pockets in three loadings. Have not used any since.
Paul B.

That's what I was afraid of...all my experience has been the same as yours. I think I will see how these Privis do first...they may be just what I'm looking for ( I too have always been a Winchester brass man for most rounds with Remington next.) Thanks again Pard. :)

I misspoke, going over my notes, I have had no problems with Norma brass in .270, 30-06, nor Norma 06 necked up to/fireformed in 35 WAI. I "did" have " too soft" complaints for that 6.5/284 with Norma, but also with Hornady and even Lapua! I also had no issue with them in the 9.3x62. So, maybe it is just a matter of different imes/seasons/Lots,etc. If I can find some reasonable, I'll give them a whirl too, ha. My old friend/gunsmith is fading ( Lou Gehrigs disease) he told me he is hanging up his shingle at the end of summer. Looks like this will be my last rifle to get tweaked by him. He wants to quit work ( he's right at 70, loves what he does is why he still does it) while he can still get around and work on his bucket list. Time is a relentless fact of Life ( which is still "only a vapor") Thanks guys.

Preacher. Talk about oddball brass, a while ago I bought 100 rounds of Herter's unprimed 7x57 brass. The boxes say. "Made in Sweden." Norma??????? :?: Does't look too bad but I've held off loading it. Herter's use to have so decent bullets too way back when, before the 1968 Gun Control Act pretty much shut them down. More's the pity. His reloading dies were cheap and chrome plated. The plating flaked off and scratched hell out of the brass. The one I had was for the first 7x37 I had and I finally smoked it for several month in gun solvent and got most of the chrome out. It oversized the brass badly so now I use it as a small base die for when some of the cases end up too large to chamber. Seriously, I haven't had to use it in years and dunno why I even keep it around. :roll:
Paul B.

Wow PJ, you brought back old memories for me! My "gun nut uncle" who was instrumental in turning "me" into a gun nut always had the latest Herter's catalog around! It was better than the "Sears Christmas catalog", ha. I learned so much just reading through that thing, and the things/their use I didn't my uncle filled me in. He had two sons a few years older than me but they were only interested in bands/girls, not guns. So I got all his input, he even gave me a pristine, in its original form a 1917 enfield and a bandolier of 180gr AP in Garand clips with it when I was 16. He passed away that same year. A few years ago, a friend of mine who does Home Health Care showed me a few pistols a customer gave him...one was a Remington Rand govt 1911 and the other was a huge, nickle paslted/gaudily roll engraved 44 mag revolver with "Herters" as the maker, ha. "Time...oh Tiiiiime....where did you go?" ha

Took my rifle over to the smiths for some pillar bedding/Timney trigger and a good cleaning. I also ordered some Norma and RWS brass. Heck, why not? Caught the Norma on sale @$99/100 and the RWS @$37/20 (got 2 boxes of it) I also, just awhile ago ordered a 20rd box of Norma 156gr ammo for break in and zeroing. Figured I'd just stick w/Norma for most loads and RWS for some special loads. Thanks for al the help guys! :)

preacher":2tml0e2a said:
Scotty- do you load the Norma brass at decent pressures, warm loads?
PJ- have you ever tried any Norma and how did it compare with the others?
I wonder how the privy compares to Winchester, you guys know?

I think according to QL I am in the 60K range with my loads and yes, they last quite well. Never had a problem losing primer pockets.

Back