Woodleigh vs. Norma

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Was reading a thread in the hunting section (one bullet) and it would be interesting to me to hear from you hunters who have used more of the bullets that are used in other parts of the world. We hear about the Partition all the time along with the A-Frame. What about others such as Woodleigh and the selections from Norma? Please feel free to add others.

Thanks.............chs

The only Woodleigh I've used was in a .416 Rigby,and used it on a couple jackrabbits.

It killed them. ;)

Well,

Any of us who has seen Monthy Python knows that a .416 Rigby is a minimum cartridge for such dangerous rodentia........................ :>)

Charles, not sure what you are asking sir---but, let me just say that when a lion, buffalo, elephant or hippo make the decision to charge you, it a VERY determined charge ending in either you or them dead. Especially the buffalo and lion. therefore, a lot of what you want in a bullet comes from the knowledge that it has been there and done that and that you speak from first hand experience. Other Africa game and European game is similar to your North America game. In your neck of the woods the brown bear would fall into this category, if the bear in question has decided it is either you or him.

IMHO, Norma and Nosler, has some of the best "loaded" ammo for dangerous game on the market. Norma gives one a very nice menu of loaded ammo to choose from, and they do a good job of loading it ( like the weatherby loaded ammo ). Without a doubt Swift, Barnes and Woodleigh have produced excellent bullets for a very long time, but again IMHO North Fork produces a better bullet than they do. However if one decides they are only going to use a double rifle, then GSC produces a better bullet ==for the rifle, not necessarily for the hunt or game, again IMHO. If one is only going to use solids ( buffalo, elephant, rhino ) the Woodleigh and GSC solid is hard to beat.

I usually try not to be this precise, so let me apologize in advance to those of you here who do not like it when I bring anything but "fluff" to the forum. And your veiled insult that I am just like my mother, I take as a compliment, so thank you!

Best Regards

Jamila

You go Girl, I like a woman who speaks her mind. Wish I was 35 years younger since your looking for a real Man in your life. :lol: I like your style. :grin:

Attagirl! I like your plain talk. Nicely said and said from a base of actual experience. Hard to argue with that.

My goodness, Jamila, I would hope you were just like your mother. She was a class act with genuine knowledge, and you ain't bad yourself, girl. You got a supporter in me.

I know Woodleigh makes a dedicated velocity bullet, i.e. the 338 Federal 180/200, the 240gr 30-06, a few others. Do they make one for the 7x57 in 160-175 or is it necessary? I like the looks of the 160PP and even the 175PP but can the 7x57 push them fast enough to work well? I only killed one hog with a Woodleigh, a 310 in a 35 Whelen AI @ 2400. It was perfection. Will the PP be comparable in the 7x57 or 7mm/08? thanks

preacher":2pbuaigr said:
I know Woodleigh makes a dedicated velocity bullet, i.e. the 338 Federal 180/200, the 240gr 30-06, a few others. Do they make one for the 7x57 in 160-175 or is it necessary? I like the looks of the 160PP and even the 175PP but can the 7x57 push them fast enough to work well? I only killed one hog with a Woodleigh, a 310 in a 35 Whelen AI @ 2400. It was perfection. Will the PP be comparable in the 7x57 or 7mm/08? thanks

Preacher, sir: the short answer is, yes

My sister loves the 7 x 57 and has hunted every plains game animal that can be hunted with it. She uses the 160 woodleigh for the largest plains game and 120 GSC for the smallest. I am not home, but I received an email from her and she just recently put down a large Camel with the 7 x 57/160 woodleigh

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":1hb6iw4u said:
preacher":1hb6iw4u said:

Preacher, sir: the short answer is, yes

My sister loves the 7 x 57 and has hunted every plains game animal that can be hunted with it. She uses the 160 woodleigh for the largest plains game and 120 GSC for the smallest. I am not home, but I received an email from her and she just recently put down a large Camel with the 7 x 57/160 woodleigh

Best Regards

Hope there was a terrorist attached! :grin:

Jamila

Thanks AH! That's what I was looking for. I too fervently hope there was a Terr on your sisters camel! :twisted: (y)

I have some 175 Woodleighs that might get to hunt this year if they shoot for me. From what I have seen, they seem to expand pretty wide. Same for the Norma Oryx and even their Vulkan 232's in my little 9.3x57. Both brands of them seem to be excellent in performance they usually shoot pretty easily too.

I've used a lot of Norma Oryxes in 180g / 30-06 on pigs. Fairly unsurprisingly, they worked very very well. Accurate and mostly double-punched shoulders on pigs of all sizes.

Jamila you are a fine young lady just as your Mom is (y)! Please don't the keyboard Clowns get to you :evil:!!
Your family's knowledge far surpasses mine and many others here on this forum but that is alright because it great to have many perspectives (y).
You know where you stand in my camp!

Blessings,
Dan

Back