Some times you just get lucky.

ART300WSM

Beginner
Mar 19, 2017
I did a butt load of research on what powder to try first for my newly acquired Tikka T3 Light in you guessed it, 300WSM.

My data overwhelmingly indicated either RL-17 or H4350. Well H4350 has not been available OTC anywhere near me for months, so I went with RL-17 and as a sub for H4350 tried IMR4451.

Well RL-17 produced rocket like MVs of over 3150fps average but neither RL-17 or 4451produced the minimum acceptable to me accuracy. As a matter of fact the plain Jane Federal blue box Power Shock ammo outshot both and was a consistent MOA performer.

So on a complete whim I decided to use some IMR-4831 because I had 2lbs I bought but never used. I tried three different loadings all from my Nosler volume 5 reloading book and the hottest of the bunch gave me my best accuracy, I feels the groups speak for them selves.
Load is a Nosler Volume five suggested load.
20170426_114507 - Copy.jpg
20170511_114416.jpg
20170511_182152.jpg

OOPS, The above are all 3-shot 100 yard groups.
It wasn't just the accuracy that got me so excited, but the consistent POI from group to group that IMHO matters just as much as accuracy. I also was VERY pleased that this loading gave an MV average of 3088fps, same as the Nosler book predicted.

I also found out what I had read about lighter rifles like the Tikka T3 are prone to being more difficult to shoot accurately from the bench VS my other bolt guns that weigh 1.5-3lbs more was true. I definitely had to be absolutely consistent in my bench shooting form to achieve maximum consistent accuracy, but once I figured out how, all I can say is I am utterly blown away by the accuracy of this 100% stock factory rifle shooting what most would agree are basic level reloads.

By basic I mean I don't sort my brass by weight, I use cheaper Winchester brass VS top quality brass like Norma, I don't check my reloads for run out because I don't own the needed equipment/gauges to do so. I use Lee Collet dies and not more sophisticated or specialized dies like Redding bushing or competition bullet seating dies, and I don't trim the outside necks of my brass.

Don't get me wrong I desperately wish to one day compete in long range marksmanship, but until my boy$$$ finish their education, I simply don't have the time or money and therefore the need for more expensive reloading tools, but one day I will.

That load will hunt. You're there. I've found IMR4831 to be a great powder in the 300WSM. In fact, the 180 grain Hornady SP over a charge of IMR4831 has been my proof load for multiple 300WSM rifles when I was testing.

Good to see you found a good load. In my 300WSMs - RL17 and RL26 is where I ended up. I find 1 -2 gns below max for best accuracy in RL 17 in both 270WSM, 300WSM and 243W. I have not used IMR4831. Going to try if avail.

In the "old" days i4831 was a fantastic powder in anything from the 243 to the 3006 to the 7 MM mag.
At some point in time it seems to have lost its sexy. Maybe because everybody is using quick load nowadays and for some reason it doesn't seem to show up as a top velocity getter in almost anything....its ashame.... it might just be the Christie Brinkley of gun powders! I might just have to dust my old jug of i4831 off and see if I can have a little fantasy Affair again!

Excellent groups and great shooting. I would definitively dance with the one that brought ya, no need to look for something perceived to be better IMO.

Those are some great groups with IMR 4831 if I could get any of mine to shoot right with it I'd be loading it also. But I bought a can from a bad lot which gave me high pressure on every cartridge I tried it on. If you ever get the chance try IMR 4350 and see how it works for you. It's now the only powder I've been satisfied with for over 40 years.

I have a Sako 75 300 WSM, so basically the same rifle as your Tikka. Mine shoots lights out with Hybrid 100V (65.6gr, 2.86" COAL). It also shoots very well with RL-17 (64.5gr). IMR 4350 shoots sub-moa too, but a little less velocity than HV100 or RL-17.
If you can find a lb of RL-16, you may want to give it a try. It's supposed to be extremely temp stable and give great velocities.
If you're inclined to shoot the 200gr Hornady ELD-X, I've got a "clover leaf" sub moa load for you. 62.8gr RL-17, 2.855" COAL, 2950 fps

Back