Another range trip with the Howa 6.5 Creedmoor.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Trying to finish up my hunting load for this year with RL16 and 140 Sierra Gamekings. 42 grains seated at .020", .035", .075" jump. shanked the first shot with the .035" jump load. Beleieve it would have been the best. Gonna stay with the load with .020" jump for deer season. It's been very consistent .6-.7" load accuracy wise over several groups. Wish I could of got to the 1/2" group with this load, but it's way more accurate than I can ever need where I hunt.
f58eeef59832678e74c79ee296fbfc91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also grabbed a box of 120 grain HPBT Sierra Matchking's and IMR 4350 for a target load. I just picked a charge of 42.7 grains ( 3 grains under Sierra listed max ). And loaded some up at .015", .025", .035" jump. Ended up being very impressed. Really liking the group with the .025" jump.
6b8ecace3f6e54b8a5422a2f4279995d.jpg

For sure, those are most promising loads. You are good to go for hunting, that's for sure. The classic cup-and-core bullets, such as the Game King, do tend to yield the best accuracy as they near the lands. Your data would fit that interpretation. The factory loads aren't shooting poorly, either. It looks as if you have a fine rifle for all field work. You will be able to go after deer with confidence.

With the way the factory eld-m's shoot I would maybe try to get some eld-x's, and if the perform as well, just shoot factory loads

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have tried the eldx factory loads. They shoot very well also. Around .8" or so. I may try the Gamekings at .010" and .005" too

DrMike those hornady match 140's are proving extremely difficult for me to surpass with handloads, I've pretty much given up on beating them lol. Hornady apparently keeps those at extremely tight tolerances!

I've got another batch loaded up to try next.
140 gameking@ .005", .010", .015" jump
120 matchking@ .005", .010", .015" jump.
Will try to test them out soon.
I've went farther from the lands recently, so I'm gonna go closer now. Not gonna jam them into the lands. I've been playing with neck sizing on these, and want to make sure the gameking load is reliable. Would hate to have powder poured into my magazine.

Jimbeaux82":2ih3sa5r said:
Cleveland,

any velocity info with your loads?

Jimbeaux
Not yet I have a chronograph but I do not trust its readings any longer. Will be getting a magnetospeed hopefully very soon.

That is one great shooting rifle! Man, you can't complain about a darned thing there.

Yes I'm really thinking that would be a great Whitetail rig. Not gonna lie this heavy barrel Howa is a bit on the heavy side

OP, do you have a bullet concentricity tool? I recently got the Hornady concentricity gage/tool, and it was really enlightening. I've been working with my Howa 6.5 Grendel (I have my 6.5 Creedmoor barreled action sitting in the safe but want to get the Grendel dialed in before I did in with it).

The Grendel was shooting great but in load development I shoot at least 5 round groups and I was getting about 1 flyer every other group and it was getting concerning for me. I'd have less then 1/4" group for 4 rounds and 1 flyer an inch away from the rest of the group, and it wasn't necessarily consistent.

I got the concentricity tool and tested some of the loads is been shooting and about 1 in 10 was not concentric by more then 5thou... And up to 8thou.i have no idea why... But now I'm testing all my loads and bringing them as close to perfect as possible but within 1thou, which some are already and some are out. Anyway, I'll be shooting some of my concentric loads next week hopefully, and hopefully groups will be good and there will be no more flyers!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I do not have one of those. Maybe I need to invest in one. Heck I'm still tickled with my headspace and bullet comparator lol well my new RCBS chargemaster light is awesome too. I'm always up for learning new things and new tools. Which concentricity tool do you have? And it checks runout on your loaded ammo correct?

Back