6.5 Creedmoor questions

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Prepping brass after one firing in a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor.
Hornady brass. All measured 1.924 after firing.
Most was factory loads so I never measured before hand but the hand loaded brass I had started out at 1.916.
Is this much stretch to be expected with this one.
I trimmed it all as I haven't had a chance to measure the chambers on my Grandsons rifles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was sized with Hornady dies, my first experience full length sizing with Hornady dies.
Full length sizing as this will likely be used in two different rifles

Alderman":14tyxpwe said:
This was sized with Hornady dies, my first experience full length sizing with Hornady dies.
Full length sizing as this will likely be used in two different rifles

I would size them for the tightest rifle that way the brass fits one rifle well. I don't like to oversize brass and doing it the way they detail in the instructions will usually result in way oversized brass.

Alderman,

I really enjoy the updates on how your grandsons are shooting, and I liked your post on long range shooting and what it takes.

My gut says that your potential 0.008" case length growth would be excessive. Factory ammo though probably started out longer than your reloads and you probably have closer to 0.004" growth. I am not familiar with Hornady ammo, but Remington ammo in 30-06 and 280 Rem seem to be close to SAMMI max case length. After full length sizing I'm normally 0.002-0.003 over SAMMI max length.

I'll second what SJB358 wrote, but as you don't have the other rifle available... Do you happen to have any once or twice fired brass from the other rifle? If so I might adjust the FL die to keep the shoulder dimension the same or bump it back just a smidgen from the rifle with the smallest (average it due to brass spring back) fired case shoulder to base dimension. What I'm calling the shoulder to base length dimension is measured with the Hornady case length comparator along with a micrometer or an RCBS precision Mic. I think Hornady and RCBS call it case headspace.

Keep bonding with those grandsons and shoot straight.

Back