First foray into loading for AR-15

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Just got done building my first personal AR-15. Have used them for work a lot but never owned one not issued to me and subsequently never reloaded for one.

Purpose built to be a precision medium range rifle with an 18" barrel 1:8 twist.

Just loaded up some 68gr hornady bthp match in once fired R-P brass, cci 400 primers and 24gr of IMR 4895. (I have 8lbs of 4895 and nothing I currently load with it so hopefully I can make it work!).

Any tips and tricks for loading for the AR? I'm pretty experienced in loading for precision bolt guns but figured someone in here might be able to lesson the learning curve on this.

My one current question is how important is it to crimp or is it necessary at all?

Thanks,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and I went with COAL of 2.254" to start with. These little suckers are long for the weight!

7110f44cf2460962ae892cc952e3f28d.jpg

I reload a lot for the AR-15 as a target rifle. I shoot service rifle with a RRA national match A4 model. I shoot the Hornady 75 HPBT and the Hor 75 ELD-M (600 yard load), over 23.5 Varget and 24.5 R15 respectively

Your 68 grain load with 4895 is a tried and true short to medium match load, you are perhaps slightly on the light side, used by many shooters before the advent of the 75-77 grain BTHPs that can be loaded to mag length. It should be perfectly adequate through your platform to 300m or so.

Not many tricks to loading for the AR. Keep your brass well sized and trimmed to proper length. Adhere to a proper COL for your magazines. Seat your primers below flush as with any semi-auto. Know the difference between NATO spec loads and .223 rem spec loads and which are appropriate for your chamber. Basically if you have a NATO or Wylde chamber, 5.56 data is appropriate. If not, stick to .223 data. I do not crimp my loads, nor am I aware of anyone else who shoots the AR for high-power and EIC who crimps. These games involve 5 or 8 shot RF strings, so any bullet creep forward or backwards would be noticed quickly.

Added info. Your 1:8 twist barrel will do well with up to 77 gr BTHP bullets. It may do well with 80 gr as mine does, but if you are not shooting past 400 yards, you will gain little by going heavier. Most 77s, the Hornady 75 BTHP and the Hornady 73 ELD-M are designed to be loaded to mag length in an AR-15. The 75 Hornady ELD-m and Amax and all 80 gr bullets are designed to be loaded longer and single loaded. Loading any of these to mag length can be dangerous.

My particular rifle is not fussy. I have tried a variety of bullet, powder, brass and primer brands through the component shortages and got fine accuracy from all contenders at 300m. The 2 combinations I stuck with were the "best," at least on that particular day, but all were more than acceptable for my purpose.

Thanks Polaris. I was hoping I could get away with not crimping. I will probably end up going heavier with either the hornady 75 or a 77gr depending on what shoots better but couldn't find anything better than the 68's locally so I'll have to order some. Just couldn't run a bunch of 55gr fmj through this rifle and feel good about it.

Planning on max range for this gun as about 700 yards.

Build specs are Anderson lower, Anderson A3 upper, geissele SSA-E Trigger, magpul acs stock, ergo grip, faxon 18" flame fluted heavy barrel with rifle length gas, 15" mlok handguard.

Only thing I have left to do on it is figure out which compensator/flash hider I want and mount the scope.

Awesome info. I use H4895 with 75 HPBT Hornadys and 77 Tipped MKs. Awesome shooting ammo. You're going to have fun!

shoots_5":3mrytmbn said:
It's a 5.56 chamber

Then you would do well to obtain Hornadys most recent loading book. They have extensive data for 5.56 Nato match loads including the new ELD-m and the older HPBT bullets.

That's one of the few manuals I don't have....guess I have an excuse to get it! Thanks

shoots_5":4m7u32pn said:
That's one of the few manuals I don't have....guess I have an excuse to get it! Thanks

I just downloaded the Ibooks version..Pretty handy to have on a tablet or large screen phone..When your stash of powder is used up, you may want to look into AR-Comp..I'm getting excellent results with the heavier match bullets..Not to mention its a very clean powder. It's really no better than any other powder with bullets in the 50-60 grain range, but it shines with the heavyweights.

I picked up the hornady manual and it does have some very good info in it. Don't have any AR-comp but I'll look around for some. I'm also looking at other powders to try as well and it seems that with the heavier bullets power pro 2000mr, BLC-2 and CFE 223 all seem to give very impressive velocities. I'll have to do some testing with those as well as to accuracy and temperature stability.

Anyone have any experience with those powders? I have some of each on hand as well....just not 8lbs like the IMR4895.

Bl-C2 gave me some erratic results in warmer temps. Tested fine in cooler weather, showed pressure signs around 80F. I've heard similar results on CFE223 from match shooters. No love for it on CMP forums.

Varget , H4895, and R15 are the standby's for accuracy loads, with AR Comp gaining in popularity and VN140 enjoying a small cult following. 2000mr may be good, it's very similar to R15. It's not all about Velocity with these heavies. 100fps at the muzzle makes little difference past 300 yards.

What about N540 for the heavy bullets? I was surprised to see a couple bottles at my local shop today..

I crimp all my semi-autos. I use 77g Nosler Custom Competitions with Varget 24.0g, and was shooting out to 870 yrds with my Aero Precision M4E1 and 1x6 PA with hold overs.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

roncwarren":34osw5ag said:
I crimp all my semi-autos. I use 77g Nosler Custom Competitions with Varget 24.0g, and was shooting out to 870 yrds with my Aero Precision M4E1 and 1x6 PA with hold overs.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

So I am assuming you are loading Magazine Length?

Back