Maximum Effective Range with 120gr Ballistic Tip from 7mm-08

drakehammer

Beginner
May 23, 2015
My recent favorite deer rifle is the 7mm-08. I have used the 120gr NBT with MV of ~3075 fps from my 7mm-08 for my last four bucks. All of them went over 150# on the hoof with the biggest @ 200#. All shots have been between 50 to 100 yards broadside directly into the shoulder or just behind the shoulder for 100% DRT terminal results. Never had a bullet pass through and never had one take another step.

My question is, how does this bullet perform on deer for you beyond 100 yards at these MVs? Do you get pass throughs? DRT or blood trails? What's the maximum range you have killed with this bullet/velocity combo and did you have to track? I'm looking to gain some confidence with this bullet out to say 300-350 yards before I take that kind of shot. Looking forward to your experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like they are working good for you. I am considering trying them in my 7mm08. What powder are you pushing the with?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Michael C. Smith":22220p9r said:
Sounds like they are working good for you. I am considering trying them in my 7mm08. What powder are you pushing the with?

I'm using 44-44.5 gr RE15 and 44-45 gr Varget for the 120s. Either one gives < 1/2" 3 shot groups @ 100 yd out of the three 7mm-08s I own. All three of these rifles will shoot just about any bullet from 100-150gr with Varget or RE15 well under an inch.
160 gr Sierra GK HPBT has been extremely accurate with RE19, and its a really tough bullet good for much bigger critters. Shot a nice doe behind the shoulder with that load @ ~2600 fps at < 10 yd and it put a softball size hole in the off side. Why not in the head? Couldn't find the head in the scope. Lol. By the way, that doe ran a twenty five yard circle and died right about where she was shot. Never 100% guarantee what happens unless the CNS is short circuited.

I have both powders so now I need to get some 120bt. Sounds like your rifle is a shooter! Thank you for the info.

I wish Stephen (Roysclockgun) was on here more often. He and his wife, Storm, use the 120 gr bullet extensively. They've taken mule deer, pronghorn, and wild hogs with it. Probably more game that I don't know about, at ranges near and far.

He shoots the .280, she shoots the 7mm-08. Both have done real well with it.

Guy

I vacillated with the 120gr for my 7/08, but finally decided to go with the 140gr. Why ? Not because I thought the 120 wouldn't do the job on deer sized game, it's a proven success. I looked long and hard at the terminal ballistics, and kept an open mind mind to those who had far, far more experience with the 7/08 than I.

In the end it was ~ 90% in favor of the 140 BT/AB. That was from 40yds to 400yds+, 'Lopes, deer, elk, and everything in between.

But, if you're dead set with the 120gr I'd probably not try to stretch it past the 350yd mark. Energy and momentum are shedding too fast beyond the point. I'm not even getting into hitting hard bone along the way......

A couple of years ago my oldest daughter took an Antelope buck a touch over 300 yards with the 120 BT from her 7mm-08. I only have hers running a little over 2800 fps I think. Antelope have smaller, lighter bones than deer but I don't think I'd want to go much farther than that. Maybe 350 on a broadside shot would be about max for my taste.

For as long as I can remember the minimum suggested foot lbs. of energy at impact for deer, has been 800 lbs., elk is 1500. We have all heard and read the stories about the DRT impact of some particular bullet or cartridge. It seems as though the long range craze has led to animals being killed DRT, at astonishing ranges, with very small bullets. I have seen bull elk hit two and three times in the vitals, and walk into the timber as though they were never touched. The first one I ever saw killed in (1959) ,was shot twice in the near shoulder with a 180 gr. bullet at modest range. The rifle was a 30:06, it was my dads first elk, and was recovered a couple of miles away. A generous blood trail facilitated the recovery. Would a smaller lighter bullet have done better, I don't think so. On the perfect day, with the perfect presentation, and the perfect shot, most any game animal will go right down. But in my world those perfect shots are not always what is offered. Your cartridge and bullet should be adequate for the shot you take, not the perfect one.

I really appreciate and enjoy the feedback. I'll keep these 120s inside 300 yards. Sounds like I'll be safe that way. Should work out just fine.

Elkman":3tgx9iw9 said:
For as long as I can remember the minimum suggested foot lbs. of energy at impact for deer, has been 800 lbs., elk is 1500. We have all heard and read the stories about the DRT impact of some particular bullet or cartridge. It seems as though the long range craze has led to animals being killed DRT, at astonishing ranges, with very small bullets. I have seen bull elk hit two and three times in the vitals, and walk into the timber as though they were never touched. The first one I ever saw killed in (1959) ,was shot twice in the near shoulder with a 180 gr. bullet at modest range. The rifle was a 30:06, it was my dads first elk, and was recovered a couple of miles away. A generous blood trail facilitated the recovery. Would a smaller lighter bullet have done better, I don't think so. On the perfect day, with the perfect presentation, and the perfect shot, most any game animal will go right down. But in my world those perfect shots are not always what is offered. Your cartridge and bullet should be adequate for the shot you take, not the perfect one.

Your dad shot a bull in the shoulder twice with a .30-06 and it traveled two miles, bleeding generously the whole time?

Elk sure got easier to kill in the last half century.

7mm-08, not a 120 BT, but certainly not a .30-06:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27333

Two years later and 278 yards farther:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=32126

P

Lonewol417 said:
drakehammer said:
My recent favorite deer rifle is the 7mm-08. I have used the 120gr NBT with MV of ~3075 fps from my 7mm-08 for my last four bucks. All of them went over 150# on the hoof with the biggest @ 200#. All shots have been between 50 to 100 yards broadside directly into the shoulder or just behind the shoulder for 100% DRT terminal results. Never had a bullet pass through and never had one take another step.

My question is, how does this bullet perform on deer for you beyond 100 yards at these MVs? Do you get pass throughs? DRT or blood trails? What's the maximum range you have killed with this bullet/velocity combo and did you have to track? I'm looking to gain some confidence with this bullet out to say 300-350 yards before I take that kind of shot. Looking forward to your experiences.

I have not skilled or scaled up in any experience what so ever tbh I don't know what your perception is but I can say one thing I have caught not deer that I haven't caught but caught slippage with breathing as a extra terrestrial almost like trump .JUST saying if that doesn't get eliminated also get through to the psy son not mine but to whom this concerns to get a clear understanding to to be able to leave all emotions at the door.things will only get wurst as you seen already the variable is still in the equation .Its hard to concept but its the truth.not elk but deer is smarter then life as we know it

Sent from my A466BG using Tapatalk

What the heck, "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" :grin:

Lonewol417":z1l8sm0u said:
drakehammer":z1l8sm0u said:
That's pure frontier gibberish.

Mind your own business

Your post is incomprehensible. But, since it's my post, maybe you should take your own advice.

Lonewol417":2tb734zr said:
Thought the network you surplus was incogneto speaking to take some pooh out like that or something peace

Can anyone decipher this for me? I have no idea what I'm reading.

...ballistically speaking, 600yds. & yer getting into the lower end of the NBT's performance window & 1K energy realm. Real life, 400yds., if you practice a lot @ 400yds. shouldn't be a problem for the 120gr. NBT on deer sized game...

Pharm, I heartily believe lesser cartridges than 300 Wins and 7mm Rems can take elk just fine and I've said it before, if what I had was a 25-06 or 6.5 Swede I'd be just fine but after seeing elk chew up Partitions on the front leg joints I'm very aware that heavier bullets with more oomph stand a better chance of getting through at the far side of 500 yards.

Not knocking any of the bullets used for elk nor folks cartridges at all but after a fair amount of elk through last 20 years and having dug through a lot of my own carcasses and friends it's telling to see what happens when the bullet touches down.

As for the 120, no experience with it but a good friend on this forum used it a whole lot on big MN bucks and a 7-08. Never complained a bit.

Thanks folks. We're solid from the bench @ 300 yd with the 120gr NBT bullet.

Back