7mm-08 / 150gr ABLR Combo for Deer

drakehammer

Beginner
May 23, 2015
I have on hand a bunch of the 7mm 150gr AccuBond Long Range variety bullets. I purchased these initially thinking of taking advantage of the high b.c. in my 7mm RM or 7mm STW for deer at longer ranges. However based on the limited intergoogle reports, it is my impression they may just behave like a varmint bullet at extreme velocities.

So I'm thinking I'll probably just load them up in my 7mm08 at modest velocity and squander the b.c. With the exception of a little energy, there's appears to be no ballistic advantage to the 150gr LRAB at 7mm08 velocity inside 350 yards compared to the trusty 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

I'm really interested in your reload accuracy and terminal performance on deer experiences with the 150gr LRAB, in any of the 7mm flavors really. Are my concerns about the high velocity performance on deer unjustified?

Thanks
Drakehammer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm shooting the 150 ABLR in one of my 280 Remingtons. It does have a 24 inch barrel, and velocities are surprisingly fast. So far, I've taken a 6X6 elk at ~75 yards and a large 4X4 mule deer at ~20 yards. Both animals dropped at the shot; there was no recovery of the bullet in either instance.

DrMike":1x5hey26 said:
I'm shooting the 150 ABLR in one of my 280 Remingtons. It does have a 24 inch barrel, and velocities are surprisingly fast. So far, I've taken a 6X6 elk at ~75 yards and a large 4X4 mule deer at ~20 yards. Both animals dropped at the shot; there was no recovery of the bullet in either instance.
Wow. I wouldn't have expected pass through at those distances. But I have no first hand experience so that expectation is unjustified.
One of my 7mm-08s is 26" varmint contour Rem700 so might be a good combination of velocity and performance.

The bullet shot at the elk shattered the spine immediately in front of the shoulder. My scope had been knocked out of zero; it would require attention before further hunting. Later, I took the mule deer. The shot was through the shoulder, passing through the body and exiting behind the opposing shoulder. The bullet shattered the near-side shoulder and broke a rib on the way out. Either animal constituted a severe test for any bullet; the ABLR stood the test, in my estimate.

This past fall I shot a large Mule deer buck at over 400 yards it was a spine shot so he went down immediately. The same hunt my nephew shot a BC Mule deer with his 7mm mag using 168gr. ABLRs right thru both shoulders (y)
I also took a cow Moose but it was a chip shot :wink:.
I have been more than happy with the ABLR.

Blessings,
Dan

That is good information DR. Mike, I may try some on deer with my 6.5-300 WBY.

I use this bullet in my 280AI and it's drops deer in their tracks.
Look at the bullet section for my write up on the 7mm 150 gr ABLR.

JD338

That is great info DrMike, Dan and JD. I have been working on a 150g ABLR load for my 270 wsm for upcoming deer season. Good to hear first hand info, thanks.

I hunted 5 yrs with a 150 BT out of my 7RM @ 3050 fps and tagged 9 deer, all within 100 yds, no failures. I can't imagine the 150 ABLR doing any differently.

AFG270":10lojosc said:
That is great info DrMike, Dan and JD. I have been working on a 150g ABLR load for my 270 wsm for upcoming deer season. Good to hear first hand info, thanks.

That would be wicked if it shoots.

SJB358":3kkncbit said:
AFG270":3kkncbit said:

LOL. Yeah, that is a big if. I am having trouble fine tuning with the seating depth.

AFG270":1k5o19qa said:
SJB358":1k5o19qa said:
AFG270":1k5o19qa said:

LOL. Yeah, that is a big if. I am having trouble fine tuning with the seating depth.

That was my problem as well. Got a couple good groups one day but couldn't get them the next time. I should probably try again and see what happens.

AFG270":9yaoesea said:
SJB358":9yaoesea said:
AFG270":9yaoesea said:

That's me as well. Haven't found a decent load yet in a 7x57 and .280 Rem. Best groups so far is three inches from the 7x47. The .280 thinks it's an open bore shotgun. :roll: Best it's done was three and a half inches. Oh well, I have plenty so I'll keep trying. (y) One rifle I have took a bit over two years to find a usable load. (Ruger RSI .308 Win.) Very long story. :lol:
Paul B.

PJGunner":1sf2uero said:
AFG270":1sf2uero said:
SJB358":1sf2uero said:
AFG270":1sf2uero said:

That's me as well. Haven't found a decent load yet in a 7x57 and .280 Rem. Best groups so far is three inches from the 7x47. The .280 thinks it's an open bore shotgun. :roll: Best it's done was three and a half inches. Oh well, I have plenty so I'll keep trying. (y) One rifle I have took a bit over two years to find a usable load. (Ruger RSI .308 Win.) Very long story. :lol:
Paul B.
I will start some load development this week in my 7mm-08s. I have been told that the 150gr LRABs like to be at least 0.040" off the lands and tend to perform best with the slower powders. For example 4831 and RE19. I don't have these at my disposal right now so I'll try IMR4350.

PJGunner":6uid12ku said:
AFG270":6uid12ku said:
SJB358":6uid12ku said:
AFG270":6uid12ku said:

Paul B.
I will start some load development this week in my 7mm-08s. I have been told that the 150gr LRABs like to be at least 0.040" off the lands and tend to perform best with the slower powders. For example 4831 and RE19. I don't have these at my disposal right now so I'll try IMR4350.

PJGunner":1bq5qipj said:
AFG270":1bq5qipj said:
SJB358":1bq5qipj said:
AFG270":1bq5qipj said:

Paul B.

" Limited Intergoogle reports".......... Lol, well I guess that can cover ALOT of country. To assume the ABLR would act like a "varmit bullet" at long range is an interesting conclusion?
I am guessing the exact opposite........
If it shoots right straight thru the shoulders of a Mule Deer at close range and exits,(DrMike) So because of the high velocity of a close shot ,and fact that the bullet still not opening up enough, too stay inside a 200lb deer.???That would sorta seam to indicate logically at longer ranges at reduced velocity, it is going to open up LESS than it did at close range.???? Probably not the best
Scenario if you slighly misplace the shot on a deer at 300 yds.( Seams to happen all the time with my hunters) As your almost certain to have a pass thru with a heavy jacket or BONDED bullet.
Big Game like Elk and Moose certainly at 700/1000 lbs may offer enough extra mass to justify using Bonded Bullets .
But a 200 lb deer(Or 200lb Bear) vs Bonded bullets sounds like guaranteed " pass thru" with lots of the energy the bullet actually had; getting wasted on the trees on the backside of the deer.???
You have some very nice bullets there! And for game over 400lbs with twice the mass of a deer,
The ABLR may very well be the ticket??
And though a varmit bullet that almost "explodes" at close range will not have that same effect at long ranges and at reduced velocitys, and almost certainly have less expansion than at higher velocitys.................. Not sure what other correlation there may with bullet with an ultra thin jacket vs one with a far heavier jacket that is" bonded to the core "???
I would prefer standard bullet like a Corelokt,Hot Core, InterLokt, GameKing , SST, or Ballistic Tip for game under 400lb.
For game over 400lbs the AB and Partitions would lead the pack for gettin it done.
At any rate enjoy the ABLRs they are great for what they were intended for.
E

35 Whelen":1m05jea7 said:
" Limited Intergoogle reports".......... Lol, well I guess that can cover ALOT of country. To assume the ABLR would act like a "varmit bullet" at long range is an interesting conclusion?

I am guessing the exact opposite........
If it shoots right straight thru the shoulders of a Mule Deer at close range and exits,(DrMike) So because of the high velocity of a close shot ,and fact that the bullet still not opening up enough, too stay inside a 200lb deer.???That would sorta seam to indicate logically at longer ranges at reduced velocity, it is going to open up LESS than it did at close range.???? Probably not the best
Scenario if you slighly misplace the shot on a deer at 300 yds.( Seams to happen all the time with my hunters) As your almost certain to have a pass thru with a heavy jacket or BONDED bullet.
Big Game like Elk and Moose certainly at 700/1000 lbs may offer enough extra mass to justify using Bonded Bullets .
But a 200 lb deer(Or 200lb Bear) vs Bonded bullets sounds like guaranteed " pass thru" with lots of the energy the bullet actually had; getting wasted on the trees on the backside of the deer.???
You have some very nice bullets there! And for game over 400lbs with twice the mass of a deer,
The ABLR may very well be the ticket??
And though a varmit bullet that almost "explodes" at close range will not have that same effect at long ranges and at reduced velocitys, and almost certainly have less expansion than at higher velocitys.................. Not sure what other correlation there may with bullet with an ultra thin jacket vs one with a far heavier jacket that is" bonded to the core "???
I would prefer standard bullet like a Corelokt,Hot Core, InterLokt, GameKing , SST, or Ballistic Tip for game under 400lb.
For game over 400lbs the AB and Partitions would lead the pack for gettin it done.
At any rate enjoy the ABLRs they are great for what they were intended for.
E
I really think you misread or misunderstood my post. Actually there was no assumption or conclusion of any kind. My opening post was simply a question of concern over varmint bullet-like behavior aka blowing up at extreme velocity...like inside 350 yards from 7STW. The concern is based on the low 1300fps minimum recommended velocity for expansion and limited reports that I've read that said the bullets fragment easily at high impact velocity.

Never was there a concern about varmint bullet-like behavior at long range as you state...that wouldn't make any sense to my way of thinking. Fun to read your post though. We're on the same page....I think[emoji848]
Jesse

Back