Tested 6.5 Creedmoor loads with new magnetospeed.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Got to play with my magneto speed sporter chronograph today, and I really like it. Simple to set up. I don't know if it was my heavy barrel or not, but my groups never shifted more than 1/2"-1" from point of aim. And I'd did not seem to affect grouping at all. Tested three loads today. One was my practice load, and the other two were the hunting loads I was trying to choose between.
1- 120 grain Sierra matchking with 42.7 gr of IMR 4350. Avg vel: 2827, ES: 54, SD: 23

2- 140 Sierra gameking with 42 gr of RL16
Avg vel: 2755, ES: 33, SD: 13

3- 140 Sierra Gameking with 43 gr of RL 16
Avg vel: 2810, ES: 20, SD: 8

All three of these loads shot around 1/2" in my rifle over several groups. Some a little under some a little over depending how focused I was on that day. Was originally gonna go with the 42 gr of RL16, but may settle on the 43 gr one. Can't decide if I want a little more brass life, or little more speed. These have shown now pressure signs in my rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good report you've provided. Sounds as if you have some good loads to work with. The accuracy is a real comfort, without a doubt.

The practice load is actually very mild. Around two grains shy of Sierra listed max. Was just wanting a mild load, so I could go easy on my brass for target shooting. I suspect with it being mild is why it had the highest extreme spread and standard deviation.

Thanks DrMike. I'm having difficulty choosing between the two RL16 loads lol. RL 16 is fast becoming my favorite powder for this cartridge. I know I could carry either one and the deer wouldn't know the difference. Unfortunately RL16 is already starting to dry up around here locally. I guess some other folks are noticing it now.

Were that my rifle, I'd choose whichever load gave the best accuracy. The energy potential between the two loads is quite small, so the performance differential will be minimal. If the accuracy is identical, I'd go with the lower charge. Little is gained, in that event, by burning more powder. At least, that would be the way I would lean.

Kinda what I was thinking. Might be a little easier on my brass in the long run also. At the ranges I mostly shoot deer It won't make a hill of beans difference. Which is mostly inside 100 yards. Sometimes out to 200 yards. And I can count my 300 yard shots on one hand lol

Looks like you have some very good loads there.

I have had my Magneto Speed for about a year and a half and really like it. They also have great customer service. When I first got mine the strap came undone, so I sent them an email and they sent me 2 new redesigned straps with a D-ring, no more problem. Just the other day the display keep going on and off, so I email them again and they are sending a new display. Don't be afraid to contact Ryan in customer service if you have any problems whatsoever.

AFG270":26w98tyz said:

I have had my Magneto Speed for about a year and a half and really like it. They also have great customer service. When I first got mine the strap came undone, so I sent them an email and they sent me 2 new redesigned straps with a D-ring, no more problem. Just the other day the display keep going on and off, so I email them again and they are sending a new display. Don't be afraid to contact Ryan in customer service if you have any problems whatsoever.
That's great news to hear. It's comforting knowing that they care about their customers.

I'm not surprised your lowest SD was with the most powerful/highest pressure load.

Hard to ignore 2800 fps, SD of 8, and a hunting bullet... I'm thinking that would be the load I'd likely work with the most, or try a Nosler 'cause I'm a Nosler nut... :grin:

At that velocity level, any good hunting bullet should perform well on game.

Congrats! Guy

Guy Miner":2ebub11f said:
I'm not surprised your lowest SD was with the most powerful/highest pressure load.

Hard to ignore 2800 fps, SD of 8, and a hunting bullet... I'm thinking that would be the load I'd likely work with the most, or try a Nosler 'cause I'm a Nosler nut... :grin:

At that velocity level, any good hunting bullet should perform well on game.

Congrats! Guy

Guy as soon as I find some 120 nosler BT's I'll be working on a load for them. My last 6.5 Creedmoor had a 22" barrel and I ordered a custom turrent for the 120 bt's at 2850 fps. Now I can't find the 120's. Midway has been out for the last several months. I don't really know where else to look. Now with a 24" barrel I should be able to get that speed easily, but can't find them. That's the last time I order a custom turrent without checking bullet availability lol

As DrMike pointed out accuracy is important and if you plan on shooting long range be it Game or steel the load with the lowest SD will be the most accurate at long range especially if it is also the fastest load as well. You will not notice any difference in brass life or barrel life with either the 42 gr or 43 gr neither one is a high pressure load so I would go with the most accurate.

I'm going to load up a few at each charge and check them again to see which is most accurate.

AFG270":53zqp2rj said:

For sure, the jack the cable went into must have broke a solder joint on mine, called MS and they sent out a new display unit pretty quick. I use my MS all the time. I sorta changed the way I work up loads now, but it is quick to use and easy to get into action.

Great shooting. RL16 seems to be working pretty well in my Swede as well.

Back