7mm MSM 154 Interbond - H1000

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I started working with this combo in the Mashburn. Dewey sorta got me turned on to a method for finding the nodes with a given cartridge/powder/bullet combo, so I decided to give it a shot.

So, what I did was use a couple lower charges to see where I was at and then loaded up a series of rounds in .2 increments. Shot them and saw where the spot where increasing the charge didn't change the speeds. From what I could tell it was 78.4 and 79.4 being the middle.

I had roughly about 3190 from the 78.4 charge and probably around 3250'ish with the 79.4 charge. As I pushed higher into the 80 grain charge I had a slight scuff at bolt lift, so I never went any higher.

Loaded up 6 rounds of each charge and hit the range.

For the first time out with this load I am pretty happy. Had 2-1 through out all four of the groups, but I think a little of it was me since I haven't been shooting a ton lately. Pretty sure I can adjust seating depth on these and get them to come together though.

Overall, it seems like a quick way to get on a charge the rifle likes. The Interbonds are relatively new for me. I used them a few years back, and had awesome accuracy in my 270 WSM and somewhat mediocre results from a 165 IB and 300 Win.. I think if I treat them like any other bonded/mono they should respond better as I back them up from the rifling.

Thank you for explaining that nice and thoroughly.

BTW, on the 300 win mag, halfway through break-in. With the break-in rounds, I'm getting 1.5" for 10 shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":258u2grg said:
Thank you for explaining that nice and thoroughly.

BTW, on the 300 win mag, halfway through break-in. With the break-in rounds, I'm getting 1.5" for 10 shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are getting 1.5" break in groups I would say you have a shooter! Congrats. Love that 300 Win Mag. Just doesn't get much better.

Very encouraging, Scotty. I've only used the Interbond on one animal--a mule deer doe. That was a 165 grain pill from my 30-06. It sure blew a massive hold in the poor critter. That was from a distance of about 80 yards. I've had some difficulty getting an accurate load in several cartridges, but it has shot well in my '06. I believe the bullet is well made, however.

Nice! I tried the "Dewey Method" as well with my 270 wsm and 150g Speers, found the node with only a few rounds, adjusted the seating depth a little and have a good, accurate load. Thanks Dewey!

It has been a very easy way for me to find good loads for the 338 Wm with out wasting a lot of powder and bullets.
Yeah I owe Dewey a lot of Thank Yous !

Dwh7271":2sbhk4as said:
Thanks Dewey!

Any time but I didn't come up with it. :grin: And it does seem to work very well.
You may not have come up with the method but you were kind enough to share it with us and we are very grateful you did :grin: .

TackDriver284":1u0hwc0t said:
truck driver":1u0hwc0t said:
Dwh7271":1u0hwc0t said:
Thanks Dewey!

Any time but I didn't come up with it. :grin: And it does seem to work very well.
You may not have come up with the method but you were kind enough to share it with us and we are very grateful you did :grin: .

+1
+2

Dewey, do you think Scott Satterlee would mind if we call it the "Dewey Method" here on the forum? LOL Thanks again.

I loaded some more of these up, shortening .010" each set. Hoping for some goodness out of the next range session.

Dewey, do you think Scott Satterlee would mind if we call it the "Dewey Method" here on the forum? LOL Thanks again

He seems like a good guy so probably not. :grin:

Scotty, I'll bet shortening will pull those right in.

just curious if any of you guys checked the OBT against the velocity node do they kind of match up ? do the loads stay good at longer distances ?

the last couple loads I worked with I did a seating test first , then I worked powder . the seating depth seemed to stay true , or close to true even with a powder change . I've said for some time there is many ways to skin this cat .

I've never had good results with the 150 Interbond in the .270 win., which, I'm sure, is just the rifle itself doesn't care for them. I read where lots of people "use them" on game with good results. In magnum rounds it sure seems like a good idea, and , sorry Uncle Mike, to "me" a 30-06 on deer is just like using a magnum, ha. Funny thing, in East Tx, the 30-06 ( well I guess "everywhere really) was super popular for deer, and yet, most folks complained about "how much meat it wasted or ruined" I used the 150 Corlokt and 165 SBT. kept my shots behind the shoulder with great results. But then, my Depression Era Survivor Daddy would scold me unmercifully "if" (when) I made a bad shot. He called the 30-30 the "big gun" and said the '06 was for killing Japs and ruining too da..d much meat! ha.

jimbires":17doavbk said:
just curious if any of you guys checked the OBT against the velocity node do they kind of match up ? do the loads stay good at longer distances ?

the last couple loads I worked with I did a seating test first , then I worked powder . the seating depth seemed to stay true , or close to true even with a powder change . I've said for some time there is many ways to skin this cat .

I haven't checked it via OBT but I think I've found a relatively "flat spot" with this powder charge.

I had good luck with the 165 interbond in my .308 Winchester, they were sensitive to seating depth. I think you'll find a sweet spot in your next range session with the 0.010" seating depths you're doing! I really like that bullet, elk don't tho. :mrgreen:

Side note, I had to seat them too long for my magazine in my .308 to get them to shoot, so on a whim I thought I'd try removing the polymer tip from them, they'd fit in my magazine that way. So I carefully removed the tip and my .5-.75 load turned into 6-8" at 100 yards! I couldn't believe it! In theory it was great, in practice, well, not so much.

.300winmag":1djcksde said:
I had good luck with the 165 interbond in my .308 Winchester, they were sensitive to seating depth. I think you'll find a sweet spot in your next range session with the 0.010" seating depths you're doing! I really like that bullet, elk don't tho. :mrgreen:

Side note, I had to seat them too long for my magazine in my .308 to get them to shoot, so on a whim I thought I'd try removing the polymer tip from them, they'd fit in my magazine that way. So I carefully removed the tip and my .5-.75 load turned into 6-8" at 100 yards! I couldn't believe it! In theory it was great, in practice, well, not so much.

Well, I thankfully don't need to trim bullet tips! :mrgreen:

They do seem like good bullets. Can't wait to see what they do when I get them back out.

Nothing really jumped out. Had a repeat from the previous.

Then 3.785, 3.775 and 3.665

So, maybe I went too far.

Just loaded some more up at 3.795 and 3.790 and one set at 3.700". I will give those a try then probably move on to 150 Swifts or 175 Woodleighs. Hoping something pops out. The Interbond is a great looking Bullet.

I went shot some other stuff hovering around .050"ish. Nothing really popped out at me and I'd loaded one set at 3.700" BTO. It shot 2 in and one out, but not too far out so I tried the same load again today. I'm okay with this group for hunting.

I blew the 4th shot... I believe I felt a small tremor, but it'll teach me to shoot 4 again...

Back