Heavier Speer in 280

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I believe in showing the bad. Results of full power loads with Reloader19 weren't impressive in the least. I do want to try these two bullets in the 7x57 though.
a83142e51ad89e3ed5cd55a1d599169b.jpg
f2cb95b8011e8a5d4a47f62ce92a95dc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heck I always show the bad ones so I can get help to figure out how to make them good loads.
Like you I'm not proud and the more people I can get involved the more info I can gather. :grin:

Thank you for showing the bad. Please don't take the below as a critique. I figured RL-19 would have done better especially with the 160 grain Grandslams so I'm trying to make sense of it. RL-22 at 51 grains gave me very good groups with 175 grainers in my 280 Rem.

I have no dog in this load work-up, just offering the below observations in case you have a bunch of RL-19 on hand.

1. As you stated you are also running Alliant's max recommended charge weight and Sierra lists 51.2 grains for their 175 grain bullet and 54 grains of R-19 for their 160 grainer. Accuracy might be enhanced with a lower load. RL-22 gave me much better accuracy about 2 grains under Alliant's max.
2. COAL seems significantly different between the 175 and 160 grainer. I understand different bullet profiles and length, but you probably are leaving a significant jump to the lands. Especially with the 160 grain Grandslams. Alliant says that a COAL of 3.2" with the 160 grain Grandslams is a minimum - feel free to seat them out a bit if you can...
3. Crimping with significant jump to the lands could be detrimental to accuracy. It is probably just me, but I'm under the impression that Remington 280 and 30-06 cases don't like a real heavy crimp as a matter of principal. But I'm sure it is just me.

Good luck and keep burning powder.

My cousin used RL 19 with the 175 gr Grand Slam and 160 gr Mag Tip (the opposite of you :lol: ) and had pretty good accuracy. Assuming the gun shoots other bullets well, it does seem a bit puzzling it isn't shooting them a bit better. Maybe a different powder and a few other tweaks might do the trick. One of my buddies uses H 4350 with the 160 gr Partition Gold in his Browning A-Bolt that groups well, H 4831 sc was almost as good.

The Speer 160 BTSP shoots well in the couple of 280s that I load for but use IMR 4831 with them. They also shoot the 145 gr BTSP well with H4350. Never have got the grandslams to shoot as well. Recently tried the 150 swift scirocco 11 with Imr 7828 and found a nice load with the one gun but have not tried it in the other.

Lots of possibilities here.
The crimp was added as both recommended OAL ended up on the canelure.
I've never crimped 280 before so thought I would give it a try.
I'm always eager to get input from fellow reloaders.
This rifle does okay with three different 150 grain bullets.
This was loaded up more out of curiosity than anything else as I will likely never hunt anything requiring these bullets out of the 280.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back