When to be satisfied

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
A load of 56.6 gr of IMR4451 under a 180GR Nosler Partition shoots sub MOA in all three of my 30-06's. Velocity in the 24" barrels runs right around 2,750fps. In the Ruger Number 1 with its 22" barrel the velocity averages around 2,683fps in new cases, just over 2,700 in once fired cases.

2,683/56.6 = 47.4fps per grain of powder. 2,750/47.4 = 58.0 grains. Should I try to slowly work up a load for the Ruger Number 1 approaching 2,750fps? My mind wants to know what might work, but I have looked at the difference in ballistics and it is insignificant over the ranges that I am likely to hunt. Accuracy always trumps velocity. Guess that I am looking for someone smarter than me, and I know there are many of you on this forum :grin: , to tell me to count my blessings and be satisfied with my pet load.
Have a Great Day, each passing day brings the season open day one day closer. :grin: :grin:

Sounds like a great load.
3 rifles and a single load is Utopia.

JD338

The practical man in me believes the load should stay right where it is. On a hunt, there will be no difference.

But it is kind of fun to mess around a bit with different loads for different rifles, see what works best... :grin:

Guy

Can't argue with the previous posters. A single load that produces sub-MOA in three rifles? As Jim says, "Utopia." Still, because I'm a scientist...

Rol the load has proven to be an accurate performer on game and very accurate in your rifles, I would think it is a no brainer and would go with what works.
I'm slowly building confidence in the 338Wm with each range session.

I am one of the group that say's if it works don't mess with it. I do not like load development, when I find a load that meets my needs, I am done. I am loading my 300 WM with the same bullet, load, case, primer combination that I developed in 1969. I quit load development with my .308 tactical, when I found that it shoots less than 1/2 inch groups with two different powders and bullets. I still haven't found the most accurate combination, as I quit looking after a .198 group. I did change the powder in my 7 mm Mag, after 30 years or so primarily, because I had a surplus of H-1000, that I use now. I have not shot my 7mm Mashborn as yet, but will use the same load as the previous owner was using, as I have seen its effect on a couple of elk. I do not tinker with my rifles or load combination's once I am happy with the outcomes. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Yep you're done IMO. That velocity difference is not distinguishable on game. Spend time practicing with that load.

I would add that mathematical load development as you suggest in your op isn't a valid or safe approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, and you are all set. Once I find a great load I quite and don't mess around any more. Your Ruger single shot has a 2" shorter barrel by what you posted, so that's why more likely than not that it is down just tad in velocity, but certainly not enough to really worry about.

67 fps difference is not very much, and about what you should probably be getting. I believe with a cartridge like the 30-06 you see about 30 fps loss per inch of barrel, but that is not always true. I tested several rifles we had at work in 308 Winchester that had barrels that ranged from 22-26" in length. Now this was done using the same factory load with the same lot number in each rifle so it could not have been more precise, and it was done on the same day and conditions. I don't recall exact differences, but between the fastest rifle/barrel and the slowest, it was over 200 fps difference which was really an eye opener. The fastest of these 5 rifles was not the 26" barreled one, and the slowest was not the 22" barreled rifle!!! There were 4 Remington 700's and one Savage' in the group.

If it were me I would be done with load development and be very pleased with my accomplishments, you have done well go out and enjoy your accomplishments. Practice at longer ranges with various shooting positions.

OU812":2fanrcmq said:
If it were me I would be done with load development and be very pleased with my accomplishments, you have done well go out and enjoy your accomplishments. Practice at longer ranges with various shooting positions.

I'm with Bill and JD, if they shoot, you're good. Have fun shooting at distance.

There is not a Deer, Elk, Moose, exc, that will ever notice a 100 FPS in a bullet, Upon impact.
Sounds like a nice shooting to me.

Back