Looking for a reloading mentor, Sisters, Oregon

moknots

Beginner
Oct 23, 2016
Newbie here. Been reloading on and off for years, finally have time to refine things and am looking for someone who would enjoy coaching me in the finer points of load development. Currently working with 7mm, .30-06, .243, .44 mag subsonic and am also set up for .444 marlin. Top priority is prepping for an Wyoming antelope hunt Oct 2017

Welcome! We've got quite a few folks here from Oregon, including Nosler itself!

I suspect most of your loading questions can be answered online here.

Best of luck on your Wyoming antelope hunt! I've only taken three; two with a .25-06 and last year I used my .30-06 rifle.

Regards, Guy

Make sure you go through the reloading thread!

I was reasonably capable when I got here, but boy, have I learned a lot fast!

You're in good safe friendly hands with this group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest this forum is a great place to learn. I started reloading maybe 10 years ago now, and my only resources to improve have been this forum, books, and recently some buds to offer suggestions, but they also post here.

For books, I would suggest two. First is the Nosler reloading manual, and that one is free online. It has particularly good info about determining seating depth without special tools, good safety info. Second is the Berger manual. The Berger manual has very mild charges, but the introductory material is really exceptional. It outlines seating depth techniques in particular.

I don't know what you have on hand; I only load for several 30-06s of what you listed. I know for a fact you can't get into pressure problems with IMR4350 and 150 grain bullets for the 30-06. I don't think you can with 165s either.

For antelope and the 30-06 I would put 59 grains IMR4350 under a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, loaded 0.02 or 0.03 inches off the lands.

Of course your 7mm and 243 will work for antelope, I have no experience loading for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. Ask specific questions and you'll be inundated with some great information from some knowledgeable people.

Welcome, great people here that are very helpful.
Just to let you know there is no dumb questions and all questions are treated the same, we don't flame people who ask for help or for any other reason like on some forums.

Great folks here. Welcome!

30-06 hmmmmm. IMR4350 and H4350 sure seem to work. Two I have had really liked 57.4 grs of IMR4350 and 165 gr. Partitions or Accubonds.

243 - Man you need to sell it and get a 6mm Remington! Just kidding. The sister 4350's seem to work pretty well in it also.

7mm - Some great powders out there but my dad found a load with H4831 and never changed or looked back.

if you find someone local to help get you started, see if you can get them to come to your house for your lessons . I've helped a few get started and I've had them all , but the last one , come to my house . I really feel I'm better going to their house so I can show them how to use the equipment they have purchased . the last one that came to my house felt he couldn't reload without buying a bunch of stuff like I have , and this was not the case . I just have gathered stuff over the years that helps make things easier , not necessary . I went to his place a couple times , showed him how to use what he has , and he was up and running . he realized he had what he needed , and only wanted a couple of things right away . the rest of the stuff could be bought as he grew into the hobby .

there are a lot of smart guys on here that will keep you out of trouble . Jim

jimbires":1drha14v said:

ANNNND there are alot of smart guys that will get you into trouble. Freeze your bank cards before hanging out around this place too long... It can wear out a magnetic stripe in no time :mrgreen:

So, follow the lead of others. Post your pictures, bullets targets and specs.
Powder, bullet, oal, distance.
If you are wondering about measuring distance to lands, should you neck size, should you f/l size, ... but of ourse, if a bullet has a purpose, target, hunting gophers vs griz... stat it. There was a really great post by one of the guys who guides, you could see how three somewhat similar loads performed on elk last season.

Just ask....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SJB358":65yor3j9 said:
jimbires":65yor3j9 said:

ANNNND there are alot of smart guys that will get you into trouble. Freeze your bank cards before hanging out around this place too long... It can wear out a magnetic stripe in no time :mrgreen:

Yeah, there are some real encouragers hanging out around here. And you're none the worse for the wear, Scotty. In fact, you're looking pretty brilliant for all the tender attention you've received. :mrgreen:

Are you kidding me???

Scotty is one of the worst at encouraging folks to become interested in new rifles/cartridges. :>)

DrMike":1bc7gw60 said:
SJB358":1bc7gw60 said:
jimbires":1bc7gw60 said:

Yeah, there are some real encouragers hanging out around here. And you're none the worse for the wear, Scotty. In fact, you're looking pretty brilliant for all the tender attention you've received. :mrgreen:

HA!! Man, you are laying it on thick today buddy!

c. schutte":1bc7gw60 said:
Are you kidding me???

Scotty is one of the worst at encouraging folks to become interested in new rifles/cartridges. :>)

Who? Me? I don't even know what you are referencing Chuck? I feel like I am about to have to file my Hurt Feelers Report around here pretty quick...

Who is accepting them today? :mrgreen:

SJB358":2ptf0ln8 said:
DrMike":2ptf0ln8 said:
SJB358":2ptf0ln8 said:
jimbires":2ptf0ln8 said:

c. schutte":2ptf0ln8 said:
Are you kidding me???

Who? Me? I don't even know what you are referencing Chuck? I feel like I am about to have to file my Hurt Feelers Report around here pretty quick...

where's the safe place when ya need it ?

SJB358":h23h1hkd said:
DrMike":h23h1hkd said:
SJB358":h23h1hkd said:
jimbires":h23h1hkd said:

c. schutte":h23h1hkd said:
Are you kidding me???

Careful guys you are going to scare him away. LOL

Welcome, moknots. A bunch of great guys here.............

Back