First loads for the 300 Win mag

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Loaded up some 165 grain Ballistic Tips for my Son-in-law's 300 Mag.
Short necks on these suckers.
25e291a2d5cb425b078b55fc6b295cc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That combo can generate a LOT of velocity. Used to load 'em for a buddy, for mule deer hunting. We were seeing about 3200 fps as I recall. Used IMR 4350. That was quite a while ago! Effective...

Guy

Guy Miner":3s2if7qi said:
.... We were seeing about 3200 fps as I recall. Used IMR 4350.

Guy

Did he ever see the BT's come apart at 3200fps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Myself, I would probably use the AccuBond or the Partition at 3200, but I ran across a fella quite a few years ago who shot alot of big game and he had one really tricked out custom rifle in a 300 Win. I met him at the range when he was checking some handloads and I asked him which bullet he ran, the 165 Ballistic Tip was what he told me. I couldn't hardly believe it after meeting him that he schwacked everything with the 165 out of his 300, but his pictures didn't lie and I saw how well his rifle shot..

For straight up deer killing I would bet they are massive killers though.

They do produce a handsome cartridge. I'm with Scotty on this in thinking that I'd prefer a more robust bullet. Still, a Ballistic Tip will smite deer with awesome power.

mjcmichigan":3133hdmq said:
Guy Miner":3133hdmq said:
.... We were seeing about 3200 fps as I recall. Used IMR 4350.

Guy

Did he ever see the BT's come apart at 3200fps?

Had a tendency to make quite an impact. Lots of damage. After a couple of mule deer, he went to 180's.

Guy

I would lean towards an AccuBond in the 180 weight for deer instead of the 165 BT. The high velocity may cause the BT to grenade and cause meat loss and a mess. :mrgreen:

I have done the development with the 180 AB and RL-22 out of my 300 WM, deadly accurate at 3150 fps. It's my all around hunting bullet.

I stopped using the BT in my 7 STW when bullets fell apart once it hits the hide. Velocity was over 3400 fps with 140 grain bullets and 3300 with 150.

The 7 Mag was fine with 140 and 150 BT due to lower velocity below 3100 fps.

First attempt with the 300. I would think these will be used on paper and smacking gongs long before hunting season gets here.
A middle of the road dose of Reloader 19 is the powder in these.
Heeding your advice, I'm thinking the next venture will be a 180 grain combo and then possibly a 165 Partition or AccuBond load.
I've had good luck with E-Tips out of the 280 so i might consider loading some of those as well.

I really like 74-76gr R22, Fed 215M primer, WWcases and the older Barnes 180 XBT. We shot bookoo Plains game with that load in South Africa and Namibia, from little springbuk/Impala, wildebeest, kudu to Zebra and in between. I would imagine the 180 TSX or TTSX would be even better. H4831 is another good one to use. I would go with the 168TTSX over the 165 ( I just like it :) and the 4350s are a great place to start. I found the 165 BT to work "better" than the 180BT as it had less soft lead up front( really tore up antelope/mule deer) and the mushrooming core was closer to the thick jacket/jacket base which supported it quicker. Just my take. Heck I have read of a lot of guys using the 150 TTSX or GMX in their 300WM for everything too.

The 165gr BT is tough enough for 300 win mag velocity's. Though close shots will be messy. Close shots are not really what the 300 win mag is about. 150 to 600 yards is what its for. On deer

baltz526":1n27txby said:
The 165gr BT is tough enough for 300 win mag velocity's. Though close shots will be messy. Close shots are not really what the 300 win mag is about. 150 to 600 yards is what its for. On deer

We were loading and using the 165 Ballistic Tip so long ago, that I suspect we had the original, more fragile design. It did kill! But... Goodness...

Of course I've kept on using it over the years and last season it did a stellar job for me, on elk & more, from my .30-06 rifle at about 2900 fps mv.

I truly like that bullet!

Guy

"The 165gr BT is tough enough for 300 win mag velocity's. Though close shots will be messy. Close shots are not really what the 300 win mag is about. 150 to 600 yards is what its for. On deer"

Exactly what my buddy and I have discovered. By the time the bullet gets to around 150 yards it has slowed down to around 3000 fps which is in our experience about the MAX impact velocity you want with any of the big game hunting style BTs in any caliber on deer. If you are going to be shooting deer under 150 yards go with the AccuBond or Partitions.

Back