Bullet Seating Concentricity

ElmerThud

Handloader
Jul 16, 2011
Ordered my LE Wilson bullet seating die some weeks ago & have a Harrell press since making the decision to try this method of bullet seating to see if I can achieve CONSISTENTLY low run out when bullet seating.

The die arrived today. Nice looking piece of kit. I've set it up on my made up rounds for correct seating depth, so will charge & seat some bullets tomorrow evg.
I'll find out then if the die works better than my RCBS Competition die. Hoping it will.

Couldn't wait really & just had to see.
Twas a moderate fiddle getting the seating plug set just right, but once done, I loaded 10 rounds.
Didn't really tighten the hex nut though...need to get lead/plastic ball in there.

As near to perfect as you could get I suppose. Max .001" run out on seated bullets.
most slightly less & just one @ .0015" run out.
So if this standard continues I'll just have to get my MSch seating die made up with two different seater plugs.
One for 140gn pointy SST bullets & the other for the 160gn RN jobbies I like so much!

I'll get the micrometer top for 'other bullet' adjustment convenience though.
Looking very promising indeed.

Glad it's working out for you.

Those LE Wilson dies are made a few miles up the road from my place and have been highly regarded for decades. I use them for three cartridges. Excellent ammunition can be built with them.

Link: http://www.lewilson.com/

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":189lwcoh said:
Glad it's working out for you.

Those LE Wilson dies are made a few miles up the road from my place and have been highly regarded for decades. I use them for three cartridges. Excellent ammunition can be built with them.
Link: http://www.lewilson.com/ Regards, Guy

I seem to be sold on them from my very brief experience up to now Guy.
I shall be in touch with them for the MSch seating die without a doubt.
They certainly are a quality piece of engineering.
Cheers, ET

Man alive, I don't know why I didn't get this seating die & arbor press years ago.
I've loaded quite a few rounds of .25-06 in the last couple of weeks using it, and the concentricity of the completed round is so consistent at max .0015" run out and usually less.
To be honest, any run out is certainly in part due to case neck run out @ .0005"- .0007"
To say I'm delighted is an understatement.

I was in touch with L E Wilson about a seating die for my MSch M1903 .. great sadness!
They do not make one for the MSch 6.5x54.

They did offer a seating die 'blank' that could be correctly reamed for the specific bullet/cartridge combination, if only there were an affordable gunsmith in the UK to do the work.

Where to find such a person would be a big challenge!
I suspect starting with Gunsmiths in Ferlach, Rigby, Westley Richards, Holland & Holland and other major names etc would produce eye watering expensiveness.
Hmmmm....

Back