6mm / .243 Deer Bullets

drakehammer

Beginner
May 23, 2015
Looking for your opinions. What is your favorite deer bullet in the 6's? Is DRT performance unrealistic in this small caliber? This will be my first season with little bullets. FYI I'm loading for a hunter rifle in 6x47 Lapua with an 8 twist Bartlein 4-groove barrel.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used 100 gr. Partitions in a 6mm Remington for years with great success on deer, antelope, and I took a spike bull with that same bullet.

My son's 6mm Remington shoots a 90 gr. E-tip with great success also. He too has taken antelope, deer, and a large cow elk at 350 yards with one shot. She went about 20 yards and tipped over.

The 90 gr. AccuBond would be another great bullet worth trying in the 6mm or 243.

My son and I have had great results with the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at about 3,000 fps from the 6mm Remington.

Excellent accuracy and very lethal. We've had one-shot kills from well under 100 yards to 300'ish yards with it.

Expands well, but we've also had it punch right through a mule deer, taking out heart, lungs and breaking a leg on the way out!

Last buck my son took with it was a head-on shot into the chest at about 70 yards. Instant drop & kill on a whitetail. Bullet was recovered way back in the ham.

Guy

Ha! I think between "6mmRemington" and I, we covered four different, great, 6mm Nosler hunting bullets! :)

I have taken more deer with Sierra pro hunter bullets than any other but have also used Nosler partitions, Barnes TSX and am working up loads with E-tips. They all work if put in the right place.

The 95 grain Ballistic Tip, 90 AccuBond and 100 grain Partition have all worked excellent for us in 243's. Couldn't hardly see any difference in any of them on deer.

The 95 gr BT has a proven track record as a quick killer on deer.
The 90 gr AB or 95/100 gr PT's would ensure penetration on an angling shot.

JD338

6mm Remington":32regmzc said:
Guy Miner":32regmzc said:
Ha! I think between "6mmRemington" and I, we covered four different, great, 6mm Nosler hunting bullets! :)
Couple of smart fellows! :grin:

Said David, modestly. :mrgreen:

I've got a decent load with 100gr partitions. I know it will kill. Just trying to minimize tracking. Hoping for DRT.
8f7ff1dbd9ba58aefa8b7dc2f9153f38.jpg

drakehammer":2efgqaj5 said:
I've got a decent load with 100gr partitions. I know it will kill. Just trying to minimize tracking. Hoping for DRT.
8f7ff1dbd9ba58aefa8b7dc2f9153f38.jpg

Shot placement is the key to fulfilling your desire.

I have killed more deer with 100 gr Sierra and Remington core lokt than anything with a 243 Win. If you want to kill a deer DRT it is more about bullet placement than the bullet itself. Put the bullet in the shoulder and it will not go far if anywhere.

1Shot":1j0zyp4l said:
I have killed more deer with 100 gr Sierra and Remington core lokt than anything with a 243 Win. If you want to kill a deer DRT it is more about bullet placement than the bullet itself. Put the bullet in the shoulder and it will not go far if anywhere.
True I've only had three deer ever take a single step now that I think about it. Two were shot with very heavily-constructed bullets behind the shoulder @ <10 yards. They both did the 20 yard backstrap shuffle. The third was shot head-on square in the chest at about 80 yards with a 50gr cheapie 22-250 bullet. That deer flopped about thirty yards. Several dozen others over the course of my life have all been DRT and they've all been shot in the neck, head, or shoulder.

Not a 243 but I can say a 100 PT in a 6 mm Rem usually drops them where they stand. :grin:

I've had great results with the 95 NBT and the 80 TTSX and 80 GMX from my 243 Win. The TTSX and GMX are hammers.

I am going to try the Hornady 105 BTHP this year.

Back