What is this with my brass and what does it mean??

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
So I finally got my old sporterized Mauser out. This rifle was rebarreld to 308 back in the 80's. I received it a few years ago and had it rechambered to 30/06 and ghost ring sights installed for heavy timber hunting. Last weekend is the first time I've shot it in years. I remember the gunsmith saying it had a tight chamber. It I just forgot about it honestly, due to other projects. Well I shot federal and Remington factory rounds through it, and the gun shoots very well still, but I noticed my brass was different than I've ever seen other brass. In the pic of you look about 3/4 way up the case body there is a ring completely around the case. And you can actually feel the step down in the case. This rifle shoots fine, but wondering if this brass would be reloadable or if it's a high risk of case separation? Pretty much just wondering if it's safe to reload or if I should just use factory loads and scrap the brass afterwards?
7f5302dbd88098810bb157727acc0fbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the smith didn't finish reaming/polishing it out, but the pic is blurry . I'd say that the cases would be fine for reloading for THAT rifle 1-2 times, but I wouldn't load them too warm until I tried a few.

This is only me, and what I can seem to see in the pic. YMMV

Another odd one. Your pic is a little blurry, but, I have a couple of observations.

First, measure the case. If it has stretched in such way that "ring" is thinner then these cases are scrap. If that's stretch, the chamber and the rounds don't match. You should also make sure the chamber is clean and there isn't some crud in there, although that appears to be a perfect ring so that's unlikely.

I suppose it is possible, at some point, some reloads ringed the chamber, but that's usually a problem with loads that are compressed with a filler. If that happened, you would be able to see it with a light.

4eaa6df80818995d8b4c15530e42eaf5.jpg
hopefully this pic is a little easier to see. It is a perfect ring, and I mean perfect lol no imperfections around it. I just measured the brass. Right below the line measures .455" and right above the line measures .445" curious as to why it was chambered like this? He closed down a year or so ago, so I can't contact him. If you think the cases are sketchy for reloading that's fine I'll just scrap the brass after firing.

That's a good difference. If youve got something stretching them and making .010 difference is call that a weak link in the brass and not reload it. My thought process asks is saving a few bucks on some ammo worth the possibility of destroying an irreplaceable gun? I wouldnt chance it IMO.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Looks like the chamber is not reamed correctly, looks like the brass is expanded to the dimensions of the chamber and rings are where the imperfections are located in the chamber. I suggest you get a gunsmith to check that chamber.

I have thought about getting it re checked gunsmiths around hear are pretty rare. Been searching this afternoon without much luck. I may still shoot the factory 180 core lokts since they are cheap and shoot good through it. But I will stay on the lookout for a gunsmith to check it out!

I'm gonna re measure them to make sure I had them right the first time. May try the bent paper clip to see if I can feel it from the inside, like checking for case head seperation

Well the measurements were correct. I was able to see into the chamber with a light. You can clearly see the ring in there and from the ring forward looks extremely smooth. Do you think when this rifle was rebarreld back in the 80's it might of had a generous chamber? And when the gunsmith ran the 06 reamer in there it cut the last section of the chamber to the proper spec?? I never tried to reload back when this rifle was a 308, so I don't know if it was generous are not. It seems like it could be a possibility though. What do you guys think ?

I'd be inclined to have the chamber cleaned up. I'd also be somewhat leery about using the brass a second time. Candidly, I'd be cautious about using the brass the first time until I was certain stretching was not significant or that the ringing was not introducing a point of weakness.

Exactly what way are y'all talking about measuring the brass for expansion? Like in front of the case head measuring before and after firing? Or measuring to see how much the headspace stretched before and after firing?

DrMike":3bzoqlzm said:
I'd be inclined to have the chamber cleaned up. I'd also be somewhat leery about using the brass a second time. Candidly, I'd be cautious about using the brass the first time until I was certain stretching was not significant or that the ringing was not introducing a point of weakness.

Mike has given you great advice. To have the chamber cleaned up is probably around a 100 bucks. Couple of boxes of ammo really, I wouldn't mess with it honestly. Even though it shoots well it seems like you're asking for trouble. Wouldn't wanna chance a weak piece of brass getting cut and ruining your day and the rifle.

JES could probably reset and rechamber pretty quickly, he's fast with rebores so I can't see him taking long to do your job either.

SJB358":1y30u6r4 said:
DrMike":1y30u6r4 said:

Mike has given you great advice. To have the chamber cleaned up is probably around a 100 bucks. Couple of boxes of ammo really, I wouldn't mess with it honestly. Even though it shoots well it seems like you're asking for trouble. Wouldn't wanna chance a weak piece of brass getting cut and ruining your day and the rifle.

JES could probably reset and rechamber pretty quickly, he's fast with rebores so I can't see him taking long to do your job either.
I just looked at his website, and your gonna cost me some money lol. Soon as I looked on there I saw that he can rebore to 9.3 x62. Which is a caliber I've had a fascination with for about 10 years. Decisions decisions [emoji848]

Either of those cartridges will give you reason to smile. Don't know that they are better than the 30 Government, but they are different--they do add some spice to the life of a hand loader. Hey, here's an idea! What about a 35 Whelen? :lol: That's make ol' Sask Boy smile. :mrgreen:

DrMike":2ohwjne4 said:
Either of those cartridges will give you reason to smile. Don't know that they are better than the 30 Government, but they are different--they do add some spice to the life of a hand loader. Hey, here's an idea! What about a 35 Whelen? :lol: That's make ol' Sask Boy smile. :mrgreen:

Honestly DrMike that was option three haha. I cannot think of three better cartridges for this rifles intended purpose. Which is thick timber from powder burn ranges to 100 yards max. So the Whelen would be a contender for sure. The original purpose of this rifle was for 180-220 grain bullets at a modest velocity. I'm curious how they go about rechambering that ring out of my chamber though. Do they set the barrel back So they can get in some fresh material. Heck for $225 or so I will most likely be sending this rifle to JES for a rebore sometime this summer. I have to have some test run for Chrohns disease today, but after I get that medical expense off my back I'll be sending this rifle in. The 9.3x62, 338/06, and 35 Whelen all seem like perfect options for this rifle, and would probable offer slightly better performance with the heavy bullets than the old 06. Tough decisions!

DrMike":3ikxhk3k said:

Honestly DrMike that was option three haha. I cannot think of three better cartridges for this rifles intended purpose. Which is thick timber from powder burn ranges to 100 yards max. So the Whelen would be a contender for sure. The original purpose of this rifle was for 180-220 grain bullets at a modest velocity. I'm curious how they go about rechambering that ring out of my chamber though. Do they set the barrel back So they can get in some fresh material. Heck for $225 or so I will most likely be sending this rifle to JES for a rebore sometime this summer. I have to have some test run for Chrohns disease today, but after I get that medical expense off my back I'll be sending this rifle in. The 9.3x62, 338/06, and 35 Whelen all seem like perfect options for this rifle, and would probable offer slightly better performance with the heavy bullets than the old 06. Tough decisions!

Not sure what I'm seeing here but have you measured that brass just above and below that line? May just be the pictures but it seems to me there is a very slight step down above that line. Also, a chamber cast might prove to be very interesting. It would also be interesting to se a side by side picture of that brass with a .308 case. Point is something is nagging at me but just don't have enough or the right info to bring the thought out. :?: :roll:
Paul B.

Definite step down. I posted the measurements earlier. Below the line .455" above it was .445" I beleieve

When rechambering a .308 to .30-06, the barrel must be set back approximately 3/8" (I think) before the '06 reamer is inserted because of differences in the case body taper or what you have is the result.

Back