Do you load for other people?

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Over the years I've been asked by others to reload ammo for them. I did do it one time for a guy I know, but the whole experience went South when he missed a shot at a deer and blamed the ammo.
I enjoy the process of hand loading enough to where I've loaded more ammo than I will ever shoot.
Over the past few years I've gotten into loading ammo for my son-in-law and more recently, my grandsons.
Just wondering how others feel about loading ammo for others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not.

I figure if I can load for me then they can load for them. I don't want the hassle of working up a load, the liability of them not being smart and if I'm spending time at my bench then it's for my rifles.

That's just me though

I don't either,

Mostly because I have only been loading for a couple of years and do not feel like I am at the point to teach others. That and I still have a ton to learn. :>)

I've read that there can be legal issues with loading for others. Don't recall the specifics.

Mostly I load for myself and for my sons.

I have loaded ammo for a couple of good friends, but it's not something I routinely do for them.

Guy

I don't load for anyone but for myself. Not worth the liability if it blows up in someone's face due to a bad rifle, chamber, or carelessness on their part. I have been asked many times to load for others after they see my one hole groups. :mrgreen:

Alderman":2opk70kw said:

Just wondering how others feel about loading ammo for others.

Yes, I reload for a few others rifle hunting loads.

They lend me the rifle and I work-up a hunting reload just for that rifle.

I did load for others, but it was a commercial venture under the auspices of a manufacturer. At best, I now provide a recipe proven in the rifle in which it will be fired. Lots of data and statements of caution. I've learned that some people ignore everything that is written even when the print is large caps, bold and italics. I had a man once accuse me of "blowing up" his Sako chambered in 7.82 Warbird. I had supplied him with two recipes proven safe in his rifle. One, using RL25 (92 grains, if I remember correctly) and 180 grain Partitions and one using AA8700 (115 grains, as I recall without my notes)and 180 grain Partitions. He made up some loads, trying to stuff 115 grains of RL25 behind a 180 grain TSX. Yeah, it locked up his gun. Lots of grief. I learned the full story when his son spilled the beans a couple of years later, but not before being bad-mouthed in the extreme. Some people are too stupid to handle firearms (and I'm not just speaking of leaf lickers and granola crunchers). Oh, I could tell you stories. Today, I will not load for someone.

No No and No!
I did once for my nephew who stuck me with the bill for reloading dies powder and primers. He also claimed the ammo wouldn't work in his gun but worked fine when I tried it.
Tooooo much grief involved.

I've only got a little over 2 years experience, so a big fat NO for me, and even if I knew everything there was to know about it, I don't think I would take the risk. All I load that isn't for me is for my wife's .380

I load for family. Dad, brother, nephew. Brother, nephew, dad's bucks last year. Dad's bull 2015. More I can't remember. I love it.

No one but family.

P

I load for a few members of my family and that is about it. Today, I'd rather teach them to do it themselves.

Very rarely. More often than not, I offer to teach them on my equipment and they do the loading.

Family only.
I have no issue sitting with someone and helping them reload or helping a beginner get started though.
Loading for someone else? The bottomless pit of potential liability scares me silly.

My daughters and one very, very good friend. I'll have him come out at times and have him do the loading once I've prepped the brass. In the near future I think he will have his own setup and after that it'll just be for my girls.

I note a trend in the answers here--there are few people willing to load for others with the exception of family or a very few close and trusted friends. Sounds reasonable to me. Another observation is the generosity of those posting on this particular thread as the offer to teach another appears to be almost integral to the DNA of hand loaders. I find that encouraging.

Dad reloaded for me as a favor. He broached no arguments (on much of anything) and I figured I better not screw up. If they didn't shoot well enough he was willing to give some thing else a try as long I didn't suggest that anything was wrong except the nut behind the trigger. :) I don't load for anyone else. Too much to learn yet...CL

I only load rarely anymore for myself...other folks? I just don't have that kind of time.

I have on rare occasion loaded some ammo for very close friends- mainly cartridges not readily available over the counter. But as a general practice? no, the hassle and endless liability are just not worth it. When I say "very close"...I mean "help me bury the body/ trust them in an alder patch with a griz and a loaded gun" kind of close.

I have taught several others to load. I generally give them a list of components to buy and then work with them through the process to produce 50 or so and shoot them. Then steer them to Midway or Wideners to buy their gear if it tickles their fancy.

Back