Verified the 120 TTSX with RL16 today in 6.5 CM.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Well went back today with the last twelve 120 gr TTSX. Shot four 3 shot groups to see if it was a good load. Overall very happy, the targets are listed 1-4 in the order I shot them. I honestly can't say what happened on the first target, other than first group hitters of the day lol. Each group after that steadily got smaller and smaller. And group number two I'm at a loss as to why the ES and SD were so high? Was 85 degrees today with 76% humidity and I almost died out there haha. What do you guys think?
a3be897deb4c79d511df59b08dc3227e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And to finish up the day I had to shoot my fun load with the Sierra 120 HPBT. While this bullet has poor B.C. And is not anywhere near fast as it could be. I've had extremely consistent accuracy with it, and I only use it as a practice load, or for other people to try at the range if they wanna shoot my Howa.
7b1570353a3bf0ea4534e5c4e039e59a.jpg

Great accuracy on the fourth load. I'd load up fifty or a hundred rounds and plan my hunt. Certainly came together well.

In regards to the first target, my first guess would be the cold clean barrel?
Keith

Wis65x55":71662a8m said:
In regards to the first target, my first guess would be the cold clean barrel?
Keith
It was the first group, but I've not cleaned the barrel in about 130 rounds. It was shot with 2 minutes between each shot. They rest of the groups were shot one shot after the other then let barrel cool for ten minutes between groups. I'm not sure if first one was me just getting warmed up or what. The barrel never got remotely cool after that first group sitting out in the sun. So all other groups were actually a very warm barrel even with 10 minute cool down. Just odd cause each group after the first continued to shrink. So I'm thinking it was just me settling in? And not the rifle or load hopefully lol.

All were the same powder charge, but my seating depth varied from 2.189-2.191". Which is about accurate as my Lee seater does. Also compressed some and that may be why by depth varied a little bit.
The group #4 I saved three rounds that measured 2.189" and shot those together. While all other groups were with the slight variations in depth were shot together, but I'm not sure if .002" variation in seating depth would cause a big difference.

DrMike":3r4wb6xv said:
Great accuracy on the fourth load. I'd load up fifty or a hundred rounds and plan my hunt. Certainly came together well.
That's my plan DrMike. Just gotta get some more now. It hurts me to pay $30+ for 50 bullets though lol. I will be set though. Have this load plus two good loads with the Sierra GK. All with RL16 powder. I'll definitely try the TTSX out first this year. Never used one of the all copper bullets, and I'm interested in seeing its performance.

Cleveland48":2d1ijw97 said:
DrMike":2d1ijw97 said:
That's my plan DrMike. Just gotta get some more now. It hurts me to pay $30+ for 50 bullets though lol. I will be set though. Have this load plus two good loads with the Sierra GK. All with RL16 powder. I'll definitely try the TTSX out first this year. Never used one of the all copper bullets, and I'm interested in seeing its performance.

Barnes Triple Shock bullets here in Canada start at $50 per box. $30 sounds pretty good to me. :mrgreen: Then, there is shipping and taxes. Bought locally, I would anticipate paying at least $60 per box plus taxes (5% GST and 7% PST).

DrMike":3hk5ps6x said:
Cleveland48":3hk5ps6x said:
DrMike":3hk5ps6x said:

Barnes Triple Shock bullets here in Canada start at $50 per box. $30 sounds pretty good to me. :mrgreen: Then, there is shipping and taxes. Bought locally, I would anticipate paying at least $60 per box plus taxes (5% GST and 7% PST).
[emoji15]wow that's salty. Living up there would definitely cut into my shooting fun lol. But then again you live in beautiful country with lots of different big game animals. So I'm pretty jealous still lol.

There's always a snake in Paradise. Still, it is a lovely place to live and work. There are assuredly some perks, for which I am grateful.

Cleveland48, very nice rifle ! My Wife just got drawn for an either sex Arkansas Elk tag. I have a very good load for here Swede with the 140 NP. I will be working up a load for her Creedmoor, a RAP that is a tack driver & have ordered some 120TTXS bullets. This is very helpful info. I have RL16 & RL26, but I figured with this long yet light bullet RL16 would be better, thanks for the info !

nomosendero":2m3rfaxl said:
Cleveland48, very nice rifle ! My Wife just got drawn for an either sex Arkansas Elk tag. I have a very good load for here Swede with the 140 NP. I will be working up a load for her Creedmoor, a RAP that is a tack driver & have ordered some 120TTXS bullets. This is very helpful info. I have RL16 & RL26, but I figured with this long yet light bullet RL16 would be better, thanks for the info !
I hunted last season with a 6.5 CM RAP. It was very accurate! I've seen a lot of talk about RL26, but I've yet to try it out. Good luck !!

Dwh7271":3uhp0vbz said:
When did Ark establish an elk herd? That is really cool.

I could be wrong, but I believe they started putting elk back into the Ozarks not long after they did the same in the Smoky Mountains. I believe in both places the elk have steadily increased over the years.

Cleveland48":3ilejrij said:
nomosendero":3ilejrij said:
I hunted last season with a 6.5 CM RAP. It was very accurate! I've seen a lot of talk about RL26, but I've yet to try it out. Good luck !!

Yes, I bought the RL26 for the 143 & 147 Hornady bullets I will try later. But I am thinking because the 120TTSX is so long for it's weight I will try 16 first, hower if someone has experience with 26 and this bullet I would appreciate the info.

There are a lot of guys on the 65 Creedmoor forum using that powder. I really like RL16 myself. I just went and bought the last box of the 120 TTSX at my local store today. Finishing loading up 40 right now for deer season. Just got to get some more 140 Gamekings and I'll be set.

This is my first time using the TTSX, and I'm not sure really how they perform. Been researching a lot on the web about these. Seems 50% say they expand reliably down to 1800 fps. And the other 50% say to keep impact velocity around 2000fps. But my load will hold 2000 fps out to 450 yards, which is out of my ethical range for me to attempt a shot. So I'm not really sure why I'm even worried about that lol.

Back