Couldn't hit a barn today

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Ever had one of those days when you just couldn't get it together? I don't mean a little off your game, I'm talking not even in the same ball park! I went this afternoon with a proven load I've shoot several times that is always sub MOA..But today I just couldn't pull off any better than around a 2" group @ 100 yards!!!! Not exactly sure what was going on. I thought I had my head in the game, but holes in paper don't lie LOL..Checked over the scope and everything I else I could think to blame it on, then one of my range buddies got behind my rifle with the same load and shot a 3/4" group! I'm gonna chalk it up to poor sleep last night and too much coffee today.

Man, I saw the title of this thread and wondered, "Why does he want to shoot a barn?" I understand now. :lol: JD338 is absolutely correct--coffee will do that! :shock:

An old saying I always heard growing up anytime someone made a bad shot..."Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if he was standing in it"

Ya, I've had days like that.

Once I just shook my head, packed up my rifle & gear and went back home.

Wasn't a dang thing wrong with my rifle/scope/ammo... Just me.

Guy

JD338":3gys4qqd said:
Coffee will do it. Trust me. :)

JD338

Yup, for darned sure...

We all have them days where good stuff just doesn't perform like it should.. I start shooting water jugs when that happens :mrgreen:

Never had that happen to me....well, at least this week it hasn't happened;). Definitely been there and done that, just packed my stuff and left.

Been there often enough I don't get too excited about it. Just roll over and shoot steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sure had those days. Some days you just don't have the mental concentration to do it. Or the muzzle blasts from a neighboring bench are too distracting. I try not to let it bother me, but my range time is few and far between usually, so it can be frustrating especially if I'm trying to develop a load.

A couple years ago I bought a Zastava .22 LR bolt and eventually topped it with a 2-7 scope. I got it as a better learner gun for my kids than the 22 auto I have. I also use it while barrels cool, but that little .22 almost always makes me grin. It seems to help me enjoy my range day more, even if I'm not "on" with my big rifles .

Yep been there also.
I used to stop drinking all caffeine products a month before I would start the season for pistol competition and alcohol also.
Anything that upsets the nervous system will create problems.

I have had that happen and I do not even drink coffee.
It really sucks when it happens after I spend a hour loading up the truck with equipment/rifles/ammo/chrono and such. Then drive 30-45min to the range. Then take 30+ min to set up my Oehler Chrono/6 targets and number them/get out my reading glasses and notebook/ uncase and set up rifle(s)/organize and write in ammo for 5 shot test strings.

THEN cannot shoot worth a darn so my test rounds that took so much time(usually with expensive bullets) putting together do not give me a clue as to how accurate they are.

The only thing to do is break everything down, load up the truck, drive back home, unload the truck and redo any test rounds I fired. That will just about waste a day and did not get anything constructive done. Those are the days I wish I had brought a fun gun/ammo to just blast away. Sometimes I just stay and RSO for the club.

I have read over the post here several times and have been thinking about my shooting training and what I did prior to matches and during practice sessions to calm my self down and get back into what we use to call the zone.
The first thing in the mourning was to have a light breakfast and if you were a coffee drinker have your mourning coffee but don't over do it the same thing when shooting after lunch there again eat light and not excessive.
Once at the range and having everything set up take a break and relax before shooting get your head back into the game, you are worrying about if everything is set up and working right and get your breathing settled back down since you just ran a hundred yard dash or more setting everything up. The only thing you should be thinking about is breathing and trigger control everything else will come natural. Take your time making the shot and don't rush to get it off so you can get the next shot off and so on, pace your self since your not running a race there is no need to hurry.
Staying hydrated and drinking water between shots also helps relax you. I would always keep a bottle of water on the bench and take a drink between relays when shooting a match.
These are all things I learned from competitive pistol shooting over the years and they work.
I have bad days but it is because of lack of concentration and not eating right before shooting.
I have found that I burn so much energy during a match or shooting at the range even during load testing that I'm very hungry afterwards. I have seen people eat a energy bar between relays and watch their scores drop because the body reacts to the food consumed so don't eat during shooting. Just something else that I remembered while typing.

Back