Reloading die help

derek

Beginner
Oct 31, 2016
I some how bent by decaping rod i dont know how i have never pushed that hard while resizing. Question is the rod i bent was for a 26 nosler but cant seem to find a replacement rod with expander ball on it. Is there anyway o can use my 6.5x284 decapping rod/ expander ball. I think it would same caliber but did some other reading and it looks like 6.5 rodds are sometimes different. Any help thanks

EastTNHunter":3o4i44zc said:
If it's an RCBS die I would call them and they may send you one for free

+1

Most die manufacturers are quite generous as suggested. I have on several occasions received decapping pins and/or rods gratis.

Yep +2
I have received replacements part from both RCBS and Redding even though it was my fault and I was requesting parts for purchase and they said no charge and parts are in the mail.

Rodger is correct. I've received parts from RCBS, Redding and Forster (including a decapping rod). Interestingly enough, only Lyman ever charged me for parts.

Ok thanks. But still out of curiosity am I able to use 6.5x284 decaping unit in a 26 nosler die.

That is something you will have to try since I really don't have an answer for you.
If it's the same brand of die and same type the stem should fit. The expander ball should also be the same.
I would do a trial and error test where I would install the stem but leave it short so the ball doesn't hit the base of the inside of the case and adjust it till it pops the spent primer out. Screwing the stem in too deeply will probably bend it and is or was what happened to the one you bent. I have done that myself once when I put a short decapping pin in the stem of a sizing die and kept screwing it deeper trying to decap some brass till I got the right one.
I might also suggest getting a universal decapping die so you can use it on all your brass.
Lee makes one that will work for you.

derek":2e54lszj said:
Ok thanks. But still out of curiosity am I able to use 6.5x284 decaping unit in a 26 nosler die.

you should be able to . I've used just the threaded rod out of another die to get me going again . be sure you don't have it screwed in to far . this will cause the rod to bottom out inside the case bending the rod . I set mine so it just pushes out the old primer , nothing more .

Yeah almost like mind reading. :wink: Been hanging around here too much :shock: , we all seem to think alike. :roll: :lol: :lol:

If the expander balls are all 6.5 I don't see why they won't work.
A case can be pulled out of alignment during sizeing when an out of line ball is pulled back through the case mouth. So I have my own process to prevent this.
First, the die should be in perfect alignment to the chamber and bore.
Next I loosen the nut on the deprime and expander shaft so the expander ball moves freely.
I deprime all my rifle cases off the press and die, then run the case into the die to size and slowly withdraw the case so the expander ball lines up with the inside of the case mouth and withdraw.
This keeps the case and bullet aligned with the bore. A touch of case lube on a brush makes this much easier.

Darkhorse":3i4bkozg said:
If the expander balls are all 6.5 I don't see why they won't work.
A case can be pulled out of alignment during sizeing when an out of line ball is pulled back through the case mouth. So I have my own process to prevent this.
First, the die should be in perfect alignment to the chamber and bore.
Next I loosen the nut on the deprime and expander shaft so the expander ball moves freely.
I deprime all my rifle cases off the press and die, then run the case into the die to size and slowly withdraw the case so the expander ball lines up with the inside of the case mouth and withdraw.
This keeps the case and bullet aligned with the bore. A touch of case lube on a brush makes this much easier.

First, I certainly would contact RCBS for a replacement rod. In the past, both they and Redding have been very good in supplying replacement component parts. They operate excellent customer service.

Darkhorse, your resizing method is very close to my own.

I have found using an 'O' ring under the f/l die lock nut beneficial. This gives an additional amount of flex aiding alignment. Also, to achieve exact headspace the die can be 'pinched' back/forward to gain/lose an extra thou. if required.

In setting the expander ball/rod, I set the die as appropriate in the press & loosen the die expander rod locknut and back the expander rod out of the die, so the expander ball 'just fits' through the case neck.

Drive a lubed case into the die and as I withdraw the case, feel for the backed off and loosened exp. ball enter the case neck and STOP. Keeping tension on the ram, tighten the locknut.
This will centralise case neck, body and die for maximum concentricity.
I rarely have greater than .0005" run out on ordinary Remington cases setting up as above.

In respect of decapping, I always do this as a separate operation using a Lee universal decapping die. Once decapped, clean the cases before they go near my resizing die.

Back