I tried the flat spot load development

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
Dewey passed along the flat spot load development method to me . I gave it a try one one rifle , and I'm in the middle on rifle #2 . it seems to work well and is a fast and easy way to get the rifle shooting . here is the velocities and the powder charge . 70.0 grains looked to be where I wanted to be . this is a new powder and bullet combo for this rifle .

Attachments

• P7260601.JPG
    P7260601.JPG
    699.2 KB · Views: 2,794
I loaded 5 different seating depths . at 70.0 grains of powder .this is the best so far .

edit to put all pictures up .

Attachments

• P7260599.JPG
    P7260599.JPG
    701.2 KB · Views: 2,790
  • P7260603.JPG
    P7260603.JPG
    699 KB · Views: 2,724
  • P7260598.JPG
    P7260598.JPG
    712.5 KB · Views: 2,723
  • P7260596.JPG
    P7260596.JPG
    708.6 KB · Views: 2,723
  • P7260597.JPG
    P7260597.JPG
    702.2 KB · Views: 2,723
rifle #2 , is just one I'm playing with . I have a decent load that I've used for years , but I wanted to try this flat spot method on it just to see where it leads me . here is the velocities . there is a big flat spot from 42.6 gr to 43.2 gr .

Attachments

• P7260607.JPG
    P7260607.JPG
    709.2 KB · Views: 2,788
this is the recipe I've used for years . I've been loading at the top of the flat spot node .

Attachments

• P7260600.JPG
    P7260600.JPG
    684.4 KB · Views: 2,787
Same here Jim. I'm working on #2 rifle as well. You are right. It is really quick and other than adjusting seating depth it comes together pretty quick.

That is interesting and I will watch for more testimonials. Over the years I've had some crazy good groups with not consistent velocity and some not-so-great groups with unbelievably consistent velocity.... but I can sure understand how the flat spot probably gives you room for changes in temperature during your hunting day.
I once read a post from a guy that seemed pretty sharp about Barrel nodes and Barrel movement.... it was his theory that the best load is one where your Barrel is moving upward slightly. The theory is a little faster bullet speed on a certain cartridge will exit the barrel before it has moved upward and a bullet with a little slower speed will exit as the barrel is upward and can drop back into the group later because of it slightly slower speed. Now if somebody could tell me what tools we need to determine if your Barrel is on a slightly upward mode I will be all ears!

Jim;
I like it as it's fairly quick and seems to identify nodes really well.
I've done a few and it seems pretty efficient.

jimbires":uvw2o2za said:
there is a big flat spot from 42.6 gr to 43.2 gr .

Selecting the charge in the middle between the two would be best. One thing got me thinking, if it was the dog days of summer when its real hot, would you stay on the high end of that flat spot so when winter comes, you would be on the low end of the flat spot, so your POI won't have any affect, correct?

TackDriver284":2x94lsz5 said:
jimbires":2x94lsz5 said:
there is a big flat spot from 42.6 gr to 43.2 gr .

Selecting the charge in the middle between the two would be best. One thing got me thinking, if it was the dog days of summer when its real hot, would you stay on the high end of that flat spot so when winter comes, you would be on the low end of the flat spot, so your POI won't have any affect, correct?

Million dollar question. I'd like to hear thoughts on it as well.

Glad you had good luck with it! I'll be using it for all my new loads now. So much faster than the OCW method, and a lot less bullets too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd still just split the difference.
Seems like on the bigger flat spots the range is enough that .2-.3 up or down should cover you pretty well.

rifle #2 is my Tikka 7mm-08 . the load I've been using is 43.2 gr , so I've been right at the high end of the node . right now it doesn't look like dropping down to 42.9 would change much velocity wise . I shot this last evening , it was a nice 68*F out , but that's still warm for PA's hunting season . I'll have to save all this info and try to do more testing in colder temps . next I'm going to load up at 42.9gr and test seating depth . the rifle has been shot a fair amount , and I can't remember what the jump was when I worked the load I'm using . so I might get it shooting better by adjusting seating for throat wear . now I'm seating at the sammi spec of 2.800 , this gives me a .025 jump with this bullet.

rifle #1 is my 7 rem mag it's a good shooting rifle that I decided to try a new powder RL26 , and a new bullet hornady 154 interlock flat base # 2830 . as far as hunting goes I'd hunt with that load right now , 3100 FPS and under an inch , that'll kill deer all day long .

you guys are right , it puts you on a load pretty darned quick . I worked a new load , and kind of confirmed an old load . yes I will use this method again . thanks for sending me the info on how to do this . Jim

I posted the wrong target above , this is the best group so far 70 gr of RL26 with a .030 jump . this is the shortest COAL I loaded , I might try going .005 shorter yet just to see what it does .

Attachments

• P7260603.JPG
    P7260603.JPG
    699 KB · Views: 2,703
Jim.... that's a great shooting 7 Mag you have. I used this method for the 154 Interbond and am getting about 3260 with it. Gotta love it.

I too have to thank Dewey and Scotty for informing me about this method. I am currently working with RL 26 in my 280 Remington. Will post results as soon as I am able to complete further testing.
Keith

SJB358":2rb1imzy said:
Jim.... that's a great shooting 7 Mag you have. I used this method for the 154 Interbond and am getting about 3260 with it. Gotta love it.

did you get good results with the interbond ? how far are you jumping them ? with this velocity it must be your 7mm MSM . the interbond at that speed , holly cow what a combo .

otter25":2o05x7sp said:
Could someone give me a link to how this method works.
Get on the 6.5 Guys Facebook page or website. They have a video on it. Very easy way to get accurate loads without using to much powder and bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back