338 Win Winchester Brass

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Found some 338 Win brand brass and was wonder what the thoughts are on the quality of Win Brand brass as compared to Hornady and others.
Price is $38 per 50ct.

I prefer the Winchester over the Hornady, but the QC on Winchester and Remington brass has been lacking on the last few batches that I have gotten recently.

Roger,

I have always preferred Winchester brass to Remington, Federal or Hornady brass.
Long life and great accuracy are the normal.

JD338

EastTNHunter":3d0btae3 said:
I prefer the Winchester over the Hornady, but the QC on Winchester and Remington brass has been lacking on the last few batches that I have gotten recently.
as far as QC problems what have you seen with Win brass?
I like Nosler brass but don't like the price and right now you can only get first run 50ct for $80 or more and get the Win Brass 100ct for less.
Somewhere in my linage I must have some Scotchman in me cause I'm always looking for a deal cheap. :grin:

I prefer win brass over rem in my 7mm rem mag . win brass the primer pockets held up much better than rem brass . I've never used hornady .

jimbires":1y23hjdp said:
I prefer win brass over rem in my 7mm rem mag . win brass the primer pockets held up much better than rem brass . I've never used hornady .
I just ordered the Win brass so I'll see how it works.

Wish Winchester would offer brass in the .375 H&H.

Use Winchester brass in my .270 Winchester and so far no problems.

I have used win 338 brass and it was fine. I did sort it as to weight after trimming it, chamfer it, debur flash holes. Some I even uniformed primer pockets. That gave me very accurate loads.
Without doing the above I got very acceptable groups also.

I used and still use Winchester quite a lot. It's tough stuff. Their QC stinks a little with the amount of culls you get but the bulk is usable. They will send replacements for the bad pieces if you let them know the lot number though.

I like Winchester brass, when I can find it. I always prep my cases anyhow, if needed, and a few culls are no big deal...to me. I also really like Remington brass, and of course, RWS, Lapua, Norma and Nosler, in that order. I have had iffy results from Hornady and Federal is very soft in many of the rinds I've tried it in, except the 338 federal. I don't know why, but it holds up very well.

Did real well in 600 yard rifle matches, using Winchester brass for my .308 Win.

Lapua was better, but a LOT more expensive. Winchester was just fine after a little brass prep.

Guy

The Win brass arrived the other day and I opened the bag to inspect it and it was in just as good of shape as the Nosler seconds brass I have gotten lately with bent case mouths and dents so that was no big deal and I did find one piece that was trash due to the neck being split.
I took the tapered expander button out of my 35W/AI die and just ran the brass up on it enough to straighten the case mouths and then sized all the brass. I did find some tight necks that were tight going into the sizer die and over the 338 expander button.
The flash hole on the brass looks pretty good and I don't see any burs that need to be removed but I will pick up a deburring tool just to have it handy.

Back