Magnetospeed sporter vs V3?

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
I am trying to figure this out.

Looks like the V3 will handle semiauto handguns, anything with a rail, and large muzzle diameters (mainly my muzzleloaders in my case).

Pretty steep price difference between the two.

Any input on reasons to get one over the other?

Thanks!

tddeangelo":2z8kwrz8 said:
I am trying to figure this out.

Looks like the V3 will handle semiauto handguns, anything with a rail, and large muzzle diameters (mainly my muzzleloaders in my case).

Pretty steep price difference between the two.

Any input on reasons to get one over the other?

Thanks!

Good timing, I bought the Sporter this morning. It's not for handguns, so if that's a deal killer don't buy the Magnetospeed.

P

I believe the readout info is a little more detailed on the regular than the sporter. Regular can accommodate a little bigger barrel iirc.
They really work well. I wouldn't be without mine now that I'm used to it.

Dewey,

Have you used the smart phone connector?

I saw a YouTube vid on it and it looked like it would level the field between the two as far as data crunching goes.

I have an idea on using the Sporter for stuff it doesn't fit. Not sure if it is workable or not, but might be worth $200 to me if it does!

:lol:

I haven't Tom. Although I was kind of considering it.
The only other issue I had was the strap loosening as I shot but Scotty came up with the fix for that.
You could probably do fine with the sporter.

It's really getting weird. How many times are we on the same thought process. Started reading up on this last night and had the same basic questions. Maybe TC-hawkingfool was right? :shock:

Will the sporter handle a big barrel like a # 6?

c. schutte":30bvmry7 said:
It's really getting weird. How many times are we on the same thought process. Started reading up on this last night and had the same basic questions. Maybe TC-hawkingfool was right? :shock:

Will the sporter handle a big barrel like a # 6?

Yes it will. Great customer service as well. Veteran owned small business. If you call and they aren't there they will get back to you.. Outta Texas to, how bad can they be :lol:

I have the sporter and I like it a lot! The V3 has a much better display though. The sporter you have to click around a bit to get some of your info, but it's easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this elsewhere, but two thoughts I have on the Sporter:

1- barrel mount....I can do about everything I want to do except my semiauto handguns. Those don't need a ton of chrono work, but there's a periodic need. And I like to chrono when I shoot groups, but there's a fair bit of user data saying this does potentially screw with groups. My thought is to have a piece of steel round stock d/t'ed so it can be attached to a tripod shoe. Then the round stock/shoe put on a tripod, and the MS unit strapped to the round stock as if it were a barrel. This would offer some freedom from the barrel mount situation, potentially. If alignment can be achieved properly with this setup.

2- computer capabilities.... it appears the $25(ish) dollar smart phone connector and associated app would eliminate any advantage of the v3's computer, as the app seems to give the same data regardless.

I'm leaning Sporter. $200 is $200. Lol

I'll spend on the right tool, but I'll squeeze each penny till Abe gives a holler, too. ;)

Thought about that smart phone app myself! I have not noticed any negative affect on my groups size, with magneto speed attached. However It does shoot about 4-5" high at 100 yards attached. I have shot groups with it attached, then take it off and practically shoot the same group just a few inches lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of info do you guys need? At this point in my sophistication I'm looking for mv ave, es, maybe sd.

P

I'm really just looking to get speeds.

My interest in the app stems from looking at differences in the two units. Since the V3 is $200 more, I was interested in what that $200 buys.

If the computer unit is a difference, and that difference is negated by a $25 piece of cable and an app, then all I see as a difference is the mount system. And if my jury-rigged idea works, that difference is also negated.

Which means one would lose nothing by buying the Sporter, potentially.

THAT is what I'm after. ;)

You know me. If I can make it do all the tricks the pricier one can do at the lower price, I'm all in. :lol:

Back