280 AI and 150-162 gn ELD-X

brikwhitt

Beginner
Oct 9, 2016
Trying to get a good guesstimate on the ELD-X'S compared to the 150gn ABLR. anyone have experience with this bullet in the 280 AI.

I'm looking for powder used, velocity, and accuracy. Of course performance on game would be nice as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience in advance

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I don't shoot an 280AI, but have been trying to make the 150 ABLR to shoot good but unsuccessful on two trips to the range with my 7 Mag. Had it seat deep and close to the lands as well. It's pretty fussy, maybe I need to try a slow burning powder instead of IMR4350.

I am sure there are many others that have the 280AI and experiences with that caliber. I am pretty sure the ELD is easier to tune. My 308 and 300 shot the ELD-X very well.

Hey TackDriver284 my 280 AI shoots the 150gn ABLR very good. My best group was in the ones with the average being in the three's and four's. I'm shooting it over 60.5 gns of RL26 with a muzzle velocity of 3013. I have been i. The 3150 range with that powder, but accuracy is much better at 60.5. COAL is at 3.340.

I am curious as to how the ELD-X of similar weight will perform. I would kind of like to hear how others who may have tried that bullet liked it. Seems lime a good comparison could be made. I will be hunting with the ABLR, but cant help but wonder how the ELD-X performs.

I have not tried the ELD-X on game,,,yet. I started loading the ELD-X after winter season, but it should shoot very well on deer sized game. I think there is one member on this site that had a bad experience with the ELD-X on his elks.

I haven't taken any game at all with the ABLR, but from what i hear its a stone cold killer. Hope I like it's performance on game.

I have not used the ELD-Xs but have used the 150gr. ABLRs in my 280AI with fairly good accuracy.
Here is my target from second range trip :mrgreen:. I am going to start playing again in the next week.

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,304
I don't think the ELD's are bad, but they seem to open up very quickly and be fairly soft bullets. I'd think they should be awesome on deer sized animals. I am not sure I'd be entirely happy with them on elk on anything but pure broadside rib shots unless I was using a heavy for caliber sorta one (175/180 in the 7mm).

I have shot the 145 ELD a little from the 270 Win and it seems to be a very accurate bullet so far. Time will tell. I am going to try and get it ramped up a little with some RL26 in my 270 and see what happens.

Keep us informed...my interest in this bullet is very high at the moment. May have to buy a hundred and see for myself. I just hate to buy that many and they not work out. Thats why i was hoping someone may have tried them to give me good feed back.

Back