Graphite coating on case neck

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
On multiple threads I read about individuals coating the case neck with powder graphite to reduce ES/SD. How much of a reduction are people seeing as a result of this process?
Keith

That is a real trial and error idea IMO. There are times when reducing neck tension is a bad idea and can lead to problems, especially in a hunting rifle. Neck tension isn't necessarily a bad thing to have.

I dip my bullet base in graphite right before I seat it . I do this mainly because after annealing the brass feels rough and gritty when seating a bullet . I also use graphite to try and prevent corrosion from happening .

I clean the inside of my case necks with a Hoppe's stainless steel turbo brush which is over size for caliber and then dust the inside of the case mouth with dry moly lube to cut down on drag by the expander ball in my sizing die and have had no problem with neck tension. Been doing this for a long time with out any problems.

I clean the inside of the necks with a brass brush which has some steel wool wrapped around it. It is my intention to just remove whatever fouling/carbon that is easily removable. The necks remain black in appearance.
In that I do not use an expander ball on my sizing dies, I don't bother with using any lube.

I like neck tension. :) I just clean the inside of the neck with a nylon RCBS neck brush and sometimes will coat every 5th or 8th a tad on the inside with a minute amount of Imperial Sizing Wax on a Qtip to reduce expander ball drag ( I prefer the elipitical expander ball used in Hornady dies mostly) after seating I crimp it with a LEE FCD, ha. These are hunting loads, and I never shoot at game ( nor have ever killed game) past 375yds or so. I like reliability. :)

Back