77 gr nosler bullet in 223

2frogs

Beginner
Aug 6, 2017
Hello all,new to the forum. Made a new rifle a few months ago.
223 Wylde with 7 twist barrel..Been trying to work up a load
for 300 and 500 informal f class shoots.
Has anyone here tried these bullets in the 7 twist? If so how
did you do with them..I am experimenting with different COAL
measured from the ogive..I am not having very good luck yet
so thought I would see what anyone else may have done..Thank you..

greenheadcaller":2d6y72jk said:
Welcome 2frogs,

I too use XBR with 77 nosler custom comps without cannelure. For me, it's a great powder for that bullet and when reloaded responsibly, in my equipment, is not compressed loaded to AR mag length COALS.

Mag length in an AR is 2.26 max COAL (obviously measured at the tip), and if loaded to max COAL, mag issues can occur. These bullets vary a little above the ogive, as all do. So I determine average length and set up seating die to load them to 2.25 COAL to avoid issue. IF you are loading for an AR and intend to mag feed them, there it is. Note, with any rifle, even in an AR, first chamber a few, eject without firing, and inspect to make sure you aren't getting into the lands first. Now, if you want a measurement at the ogive at this point (under mag length coal at the tip) to avoid measurement variances above the ogive in the future, measure it using your measurement tool, and you have a ogive measurement number that means something for you.....but it only means something for this particular bullet, in your particular rifle, with your particular measurement tool.

Conversely, if you are loading these for a bolt rifle (I am not going to get into manually feeding an AR here). You MIGHT have room to go longer than 2.25 COAL (and whatever measurement at the ogive that gives you with your measurement tool).....and theoretically you might already be too long...it will depend on your rifle. Yes, I saw Wylde ... but they are aren't all cut the same either.

My point is .... respectfully, any ogive measurement I or anyone else may choose to give you to your question about ogive measurment is meaningless and should not be relied on, even roughly. We should assume our measurement tools are not exactly the same, and we should assume the bushings in our measurements tools are not exactly the same (which means we aren't catching the ogive at exactly the same spot).....even if our tools are sold by the same company. We should also assume our chambers are not cut the same (again, Wylde's are not all cut the same amongst those that class them this way, not even close), and distance to the lands are not the same. As we are dealing with exacting measurements of 100th's and 1000'ths, these differences make comparing my ogive measurement number to your ogive measurement number pretty much meaningless....and me loading to someone else's ogive measurements inadvisable .

My advise, if this isn't an auto loader, would be to first determine the distance to the lands in your rifle with your measurement tools, and stay well off the lands (a whole other chapter).

hope this helps, it was the intention

my rifle is a bolt gun.I have some of the 77 's loaded with different ogive length
starting with just touching and up to .050 jump...Will be testing tomorrow
out to 300 yards..Will post results..Thanks for your valued info..

I have used a very similar load, with the 75 HPBT from Hornady. I have also used the 80 gr Nosler CC and have since discontinued due to some erratic results.

These are both pretty standard service rifle bullets, and loads are well tested across the course to 600 yards. Most service rifle shooters with 1:8 or 1:7 twist Wylde chambers are running from 23.5-24.5 gr of either Varget or R15. A few are using 8028. COL on the 77 is generally 2.26 or so depending on their magazines or rifles. I'm running 2.25 on the 75 Hornady over 23.5 Varget and LC 13 brass, and it will hold 10 ring from a sling, about 90% X ring from a lead sled at 300yards in calm weather with a 2 stage service rifle trigger and "stock" RRA NM rifle. The 75 and 77 bullets seem to be relatively insensitive to jump with their relatively blunt ogives. The 80s are generally loaded to nearly touching the rifling.

F-class is very much a wind game, and with a bolt gun, I would be looking more towards the single load bullets. Berger, SMK, Nosler 80s or the Hornady ELD 75 or 80. I've found the latter in 75 grain to be an exeptional performer in my 1:8 Service rifle, giving less wind deflection and come up than with the 80s with very consistent vertical dispersion at range. I'm running this one over 24gr of R15 in Nosler or HSM brass. You'll have to come up with the best COL for your rifle on your own, but don't burn up a barrel chasing perfection. If it'll hold X ring vertical at 300, just load a bunch and practice your wind guessing.

I shoot the 77 gr NCC in a 20" AR 1 in 7 twist. OAL is 2.260". Load is 22.7 grs AA2460 at 2700 fps. I am using this powder as it was the old suitable powder I could find during the powder shortage and I like it pretty good. I am averaging 1 MOA with this combo and I can ring steel targets every shot out to 500 yards. Have not tried it further than that.

2Frogs,

I've used 77 gr. bullets in various .223 Rem. bolt guns and 5.56 NATO gas guns. What is the length of your barrel?

The burn rate of the powders available will dictate the choices you will have to perform best. 14.5" bbl. will need a faster burn rate vs. a 24" bbl. even with the same bullet.

VarGet or RL-15 work very well in the 18"-24" barrels, BL-C2, H-335, H-322 will work better in the shorter barrel lengths IMO.

Since you using a bolt gun you have a lot of options. You'll need to measure with each bullet type you want to use to find your lands, and work off that.

Back