Weighing Brass - 300WSM

PDXFJR

Beginner
Sep 23, 2015
Ok...probably been talked about more than once, but when I weigh my brass for the 300WSM, there are four distinct groups....I don't know about you guys, but I can't afford to start throwing brass....

What now?? Which group do you shoot?? What do you think the difference will be between weight groups in repeatability???

Thoughts???

Attachments

• IMG_3820.JPG
    IMG_3820.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 674
I load it and shoot. I'm not as finicky as some when it comes to components. I tend to get good enough accuracy without trying to load for a benchrest rifle. I'm a hunter with my guns so anything at an inch or under is good enough.

lefty315":383an93s said:
I load it and shoot. I'm not as finicky as some when it comes to components. I tend to get good enough accuracy without trying to load for a benchrest rifle. I'm a hunter with my guns so anything at an inch or under is good enough.

This. (y)

brass weight and capacity do not go hand in hand . if this is a hunting rifle I'd just use them and not worry about it . I recently weighed out a batch of brass and posted the results I'll try and give you a link to it .

this is the one I found . I've posted brass weights and capacities numerous times on here .
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35800

Brass wears out. You didn't mention if you bought it or bought loaded ammo and reused the cases. I have one rifle I care enough I bought 400 pieces of Norma brass from the same lot. I load the same group of 50 cases, as that group gets smaller and I toss the brass, I'll move to the next batch. Even with 400 from the same batch..I have a couple groups.

I'd remind you, finding a flat spot in the powder weight vs measured velocity will give you more forgiving consistency. That should compensate for variations in case volume.

I'm happy around 1 inch. I love clover leaf holes, but the deer and black bear don't know any difference.

Enjoy you 300WSM. Great Cartridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ther are two different brass brands, both purchased new....Nosler and Hornady. What is interesting....there are individual pieces in each "group" of weights from each brand. The lowest weights are around 234 and change the highest over 252..... all of these have only been shot once. My goal has been to lessen the speed variance between rounds....I'm carrying around a delta of 38fps and like to get it lower....

If I weigh brass this is my process.

First, I do not weigh brass if they aren't all sized to exactly the same headspace and trimmed to exactly the same length using a trimmer that indexes off the shoulder....which for me means, they are dedicated to one rifle and have been shot in it at least twice. If they aren't there yet, I skip weighing and just sort by Headstamp and shoot them grouped by headstamp.

Once I get there, if I choose to weigh, I weigh same headstamp brass and sort them into similar weight groups as you have done, and load them keeping groups together. Then I shoot them in order...by placing them in my ammo box in order (by increasing or decreasing brass weight) and paying attention to how they get fed into rifle. Doing it this way decreases shot to shot poi variance caused by brass size. Works for me, ymmv

(Adding...if you really want to get nutty nuts (which I sometimes am), and you are going for something special......weigh your bullets and load them in order of weight in the process along with graduating brass weight. Might surprise some at bullet weight differences in some bullets. Lastly, you really have to be shooting long distance for a caliber or going for super tiny groups doing everything else right to harvest benefits here...... meaning a good wind doper will always do better than a good sorter when shooting distance)

Back