284 Win Brass!!

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
hey guys, I have a leed on a 180 brand new unprimed Winchester Western 284 Win brass, yes that's how old It is, it's all boxed up and in 20 rd boxes, they look like new, been stored away and taken care of. Anyone need any? It crosses my mind to build one :grin:
What do you think, is it a worth while cartridge? Brass should last a life time. I know it's difficult to find it.
284 Win brass.JPG

A favourite of mine. I like the 7mm bullet, and the .284 is a neglected orphan. Chambered in a bolt gun, it will do anything that a .280 Rem will do. It is an excellent round. Grab that brass!

Depends on the cost? Any brass competing with Lapua brass or that can be made easily from Lapua brass has to be a bargain. Having said that, there was a family of 1000yard BR shooters in the recent past that found the old WW brass as good as anything else out there. The records and trophies proved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten dollars a box? That would be enough to compel me to do a build! (y) :mrgreen:

So I found out I can get the brass for $8 bucks for 20, if I were to do something, would it be hindered in a 22" barrel? what Kind of velocities could you get with the 140 and 150's in a 22" pipe?

In my .284, I get velocities of ~2900 fps with 150 grain ABLR. These are not hot loads by any stretch of the imagination. With some of the newer powders, I could achieve ~3050 fps without a problem.

Back