338 06 and ????? Projectile

Poz

Beginner
Feb 1, 2016
Some opinions please, i am currently using a 200 gn woodleigh at 2700 fps , i can bump this up with another powder but before I start that process I want to investigate bullet options. I'm looking at combinations from 200 to 225 gn pills and want to use it next red deer season out to 350 to 400 yards.
At the moment I'm leaning toward 225 gn woodleighs or accubonds but the accubonds are double the price

I would think that the 200 grain Woodleigh at 2700 fps is already a deadly option for red deer. Given the difference in cost, I can't see that the 225 grain AccuBond will give you that much better option than what you have, or even over the 225 grain Woodleigh. And I like AccuBonds!

DrMike":3qkqtvtc said:
I would think that the 200 grain Woodleigh at 2700 fps is already a deadly option for red deer. Given the difference in cost, I can't see that the 225 grain AccuBond will give you that much better option than what you have, or even over the 225 grain Woodleigh. And I like AccuBonds!

I agree with DrMike if the Accubonds are that much more expensive then the Woodleigh then there is no reason to use them unless you want to try something different. Those 200's you have loaded would work fine too. I do hope we see some pictures of your red deer when you get one :)

I shoot the 338-06 and the 225 NAB, it's accurate as can be for what it is. Used RL17 and can move those suckers right up near 338 WM speeds. Haven't taken any game with it yet, but will eventually. It's a great round though!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The 210 gr PT would be a great choice. With a .400 BC, it will shoot flat and hit hard at 400 yards. It will out penetrate the 200 gr and 225 gr AB's.

JD338

You could also consider the 215 gr Sierra Game King. Not an expensive bullet, that shoots very well (at least in my 338-06), will penetrate very well due to its heavier jacket, and will retain better velocity and energy at 350 to 400 yards due to its higher BC than either the 200 grain Woodleigh or 210 gr Partition. And I too am a big fan of the AccuBond!
And I have used SGK's extensively on tougher game like elk as well, out to 475 yards. It just works!

Here is another question;
Compared to the price of your hunt and the travel to get there and back, why are you worried about the comparatively insignificant price of the bullet? This the most important item in your rifle/scope/ammo package, as the bullet does the work to secure the clean harvest of the animal, when placed properly in the vitals.

I recommend using the best load combination for your particular rifle, that you have confidence in, and enjoy your adventure!

I'm with the good Doc and Gerry. If you already have a great load you trust I think you're already set.

If you wanna try something else the 210 Partition is an absolute sleeper.

Thank you all for the feed back. Main reason for looking at the accubonds was due to the excellent performance of them I had in Africa last year. It was nothing short of spectacular!! The cost of them for hunting purposes is not really an issue, i would gladly pay double after what I've seen them do it's more when I can't get out for a hunt and just go to the range to pull the trigger on paper, anyway I've looked at a few options and I I'm going to give the 225 accubonds a go if they don't shoot I can back track to where I am now and I've lost nothing, we have 9 months before they start roaring! Thanks. Hopefully I can get something worth posting, if it's not worth posting it'll still be living.

You already have a pretty good load.

If I were to try some to get better out to 350 yards,
Think I'd look real hard at that 215 gr SGK.
A 0.485 BC and the reputation for accuracy Sierra has,
would put it 1st on my list to try for something better at long ranges!

He is hunting Red deer, I think he is from Australia. Don't think SPS is an option.

I've used the 180AB at 250yds going 3500(338 RUM) and my SIL used it at 30yds going 2800 (338 Federal) and it was stellar performance for both! Only problems has been find them, but I haven't been looking for awhile now, been more involved with my 7x57 and prior to that a 358 NM I had to sell ( many tears, quivering lips). I wonder if the 185 GMX has been getting good reviews in the 338 cals? Anyone know?

Yes, in Australia, and no it's called predictive text! :grin: at 20ish dollars a box i wouldn't even be asking a question but at 90 its a bit different. I thought about going lighter and faster but i think the energy advantages over flat trajectory are better. I won't take a shot at a distance I haven't at least confirmed poi at the range, ie if I've shot 300 yards then a 300-350 shot I'd be comfortable with but 400 would be a no go. I just don't trust ballistic charts enough to assume the consistency will be right.

Couldn't get hold of any 225 accubonds so I went with 200 gn accubonds. 56 gn of 2208 put 3 into just over half an inch at 100 yards. Will chrony the load and sight in once I've used the last 70 200 gn woodleighs I have loaded. Interesting that the accubonds printed 2 inches higher than the woodleighs.

The Hornady 225gr worked perfect in my 338-06 along with the 210gr Nosler Part. With IMR 4320.

For deer like game the Barnes TTSX 160/185 should be perfect

Back