7 Mashburn Super 195 Berger H1000 and Retumbo

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Okay, I've never really done much with Bergers. Loaded them for a few buddies in the past but nothing for myself. Since I have a solid hunting load for the fall this year I decided to monkey around with these. Found them at my local store and decided to give them a shot in my Mashburn just to see how fast I could push them.

I'm using some Nosler cases, CCI250 and for the 1st set I used H1000.

I could've probably gone a little higher with H1000 but I stopped at 73 grains. And loaded 4 up to shoot on paper.

Then I was sitting around thinking, maybe Retumbo would get a little more speed, so again curiosity won out.

A little more speed from Retumbo, easily breaking the 2900 mark. I used the same exact case for H1000 and Retumbo. Basically I'd load one, attach the Magnetospeed and touch one off in the backyard. Then I'd record the speed, come back inside, resize the case, reprime and reload with the next higher charge.

Pocket stayed as tight on the last as on the first.

I did have the slightest hint of case head scuffing right around the primer with the 77 grain charge. I ended up loading 76 grains of Retumbo in the cases to shoot on paper.

I would've tried RL33 as well since even with the 77 grain charge of Retumbo I still had the lightest powder shake. RL33 may have enough extra to put me on the 3000 mark but honestly with that sorta BC I can't see 100 FPS making any sorta difference.

No, I'm not giving up on Nosler or especially my Bitterroots but I do like to tinker and I think if they shoot decent it might be fun to hammer a deer with one, just to see the effects of that heavy Bullet.

Plus there are a few others around here that have made me curious... always gets me! :lol:

Thinking about trying the 175 eldx in my 7-300 win mag but i only have a 9"....when i had this built the 180vld was the highest bc bullet for 7mm out and works fine in a 9"

Just seen a guy on lrh who was getting good groups with the 195s and a 26" bbl 8 3/4" twist obermeyer in 7 mag. Got me thinking maybe my 9" should at least do the 175 eldx, maybe even the 195??

remingtonman_25_06":3hb0xv1y said:
Just seen a guy on lrh who was getting good groups with the 195s and a 26" bbl 8 3/4" twist obermeyer in 7 mag. Got me thinking maybe my 9" should at least do the 175 eldx, maybe even the 195??

According to the Berger website on twist stabilization, the 195 EOL requires a twist faster than a 9 to stabilize. You should do good with a 175 ELD-X. The 175 Elite and 180 Bergers are well into the comfortable zone according to the Berger twist chart. May well give it a try.

Yeah, that's stepping out. There is enough mass that combined with that velocity, the bullet will strike a mighty blow. It will be interesting to see if the accuracy is there.

Scotty, would just stop with the posts about that Super Mashburn. Your cruisin' to cost me some bux. My .270 is taking up the slack that used to be my 7mm rem mag. I'm feelin the need to make that model 70 7mm rem mag a mashburn. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I am going to shoot for some groups this weekend. I loaded 4 with 76 grains of Retumbo and 4 with 74 grains of H1000. My rifle is a Bartlein 8 twist so it should handle just about any 7mm bullet out there that I know of.

I really am just messing around a little with these since I loaded them at Mag length and chambered to make sure I wasn't stuffed into the rifling. I figure I'll see right away how picky they are in regards to seating depth.

Jorey I have some of the 175 ELD-X as well. Until you said that I actually forgot I had them. 8)

Bruce, if you have a good 7mm Rem it isn't anything to just run a reamer into it to make a Mashburn. That's what I did for my first rifle. If yours is a 700, that's all you have to do. My first rifle is still in uses by that old Elkman.. shooting pretty good too.

Scotty I would think the EOL would be pretty easy to get a good group fairly quickly. I've ran the 215 hybrids and they aren't to picky with seating depth, lives up to Bergers claim.

I need to revisit this bullet, just to give it a whirl and see how well I can make it shoot.

I shot the H1000 load on paper and it was a knot hole, need to try the Retumbo load as well.

Scotty,
They shot very well out of my 28Nosler with RL33. I just didn't like what they did hitting water jugs up close. Simulated long shots at the jugs they performed well. They don't like impact speeds over 2900fps. The ABLR held together at 3200fps. That's the difference bonded vs nonbonded.

Scott

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up Scott. I don’t think I could start them much faster then about 2950 or so from my gun so they might be okay there. I’ve never shot the first animal with the Berger so I’m sorta suspect but 195 grains is a fair amount of mass.

The old 162 a-max did alright in jugs at 2700 and change from my old 7-08. It was similar to the highly regarded 120 BT at over 3K. I think they both got three jugs and had some core and jacket left. I don't think I ever ran those 162's through my old 7RM, though. I'm betting 3K would have made a mess of that bullet.

Scotty has run a bunch of bullets into jugs. Is a 195 in the future testing line up?

jason miller":3ixiz34j said:
The old 162 a-max did alright in jugs at 2700 and change from my old 7-08. It was similar to the highly regarded 120 BT at over 3K. I think they both got three jugs and had some core and jacket left. I don't think I ever ran those 162's through my old 7RM, though. I'm betting 3K would have made a mess of that bullet.

Scotty has run a bunch of bullets into jugs. Is a 195 in the future testing line up?

I will run it into jugs. I need to get it out and shoot it some anyhow. I just about have all of the RWS brass formed up so I am due to try it. I have been debating getting a 175 load together for this fall anyhow.

If you get an elk with any bullet out of the Mashburn, I'd like to see your thoughts on how it compares to the .338 bullets.

Ooooh Scotty, you need to punch a critter with those suckers! If they’re anything like the 215’s they’ll be impressive! :twisted:

It will be interesting to see what that big Mashburn does with that bullet, could be a real long range hammer. Can you load them to mag length or will they be a single shot deal?

jason miller":bc9ptbbv said:
If you get an elk with any bullet out of the Mashburn, I'd like to see your thoughts on how it compares to the .338 bullets.

I took one cow with the 160 AB right through both front legs two years ago started at 3200 from my old Mashburn, she went down on the spot and didn't wiggle too much at all.

One year ago, I took another cow in Wyoming with the 175 Bitterroot at 3050'ish at around 150 yards, shot hit her spot on about a 1/3 of the way up from the bottom and directly behind the leg and found the bullet on the opposite side wadded up in the hide, she went nowhere.

The second was a spike in Oregon, he took a Bitterroot mid rib and exited his opposite leg. He was moving at the shot which was about 75 yards and I think his momentum carried him about 25-30 yards.

So, I'd say with bullets like the 175 BBC's or similar or even good bullets in the 160 range they can act alot like a 338. I love the big 7 but I haven't seen anything so the physical hit as well as my 338 or 35 Whelen. It is pretty tough to beat any of them though, GREAT bullets being the deciding factor.

.300winmag":bc9ptbbv said:
Ooooh Scotty, you need to punch a critter with those suckers! If they’re anything like the 215’s they’ll be impressive! :twisted:

I am sorta tempted. If I can get a good load together, I wouldn't mind trying the Berger challenge, I'd feel okay with the 195's in the gun.

gerry":bc9ptbbv said:
It will be interesting to see what that big Mashburn does with that bullet, could be a real long range hammer. Can you load them to mag length or will they be a single shot deal?

Gerry, I loaded them at mag length and they seemed to shoot fine on my initial shots on paper. I might get something together again and try them out to really see if I like them. I am just sort of a chicken when I think of that big front leg joints on elk.. I know it should punch through, but I have the snicker or worry.. I'd hate to lose an elk and know I could have used another bullet that would have worked. Or worse, wound one and have it suffer.

Back