Ramshot big game

Michael C. Smith

Beginner
May 24, 2016
What is y'alls experience with ramshot big game. Thinking of trying it in my 6.5 creedmoor and 7mm 08. Looking at data it should be pretty close to h4350 which works great in my creedmoor but I can't hardly get my hands on it. Any thought would be great. Would be using it with 120 bt 125 pt 135 berger classic hunter. Looks to be just a little bit faster powder. The rifle has a 22 in barrel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What little I've used was impressive. Unfortunately, it is not generally available here in Canada. I have had a couple of pounds over the years, and in standard cartridges it has proved to be a great performer. If it was available, I'd use a lot more.

Dr Mike

My grandfather mentioned trying it but did not get to it this year

1. how temp sensitive is it ?
2. where do you buy it ?
3. is it a candidate for reloading the 348 ?

thank you

I am wanting to try it as a alternative for h4350 because it is always out of stock. I have also read that it meters well.

I have not experienced significant temperature sensitivity. It is sometimes found locally, but Ramshot doesn't appear to send much of this product to Canada. It will work in the 348, but I would think there are better powders for that cartridge. It does meter well because it is a ball powder.

Michael C. Smith":36iuphmz said:
What is y'alls experience with ramshot big game. Thinking of trying it in my 6.5 creedmoor and 7mm 08. Looking at data it should be pretty close to h4350 which works great in my creedmoor but I can't hardly get my hands on it. Any thought would be great. Would be using it with 120 bt 125 pt 135 berger classic hunter. Looks to be just a little bit faster powder. The rifle has a 22 in barrel.

I haven't tried It in those rounds but did try it with 100 gr Partition's in my 260. That's one bullet I have had trouble getting to shoot well for some reason and Big Game wasn't any better than other powder. However I have had excellent results with it in the 303 British with 180 gr Speer's, 30-06 with 150 gr E Tip's, 35 Whelen with 250 gr Speer's and 275 gr Woodleigh's, 358 Norma with 200 gr TTSX and 250 gr Speer's and the 375 Ruger with 260 gr and 300 gr Accubonds. Other than a couple of mediocre loads it has worked well in a lot of different rounds so it is worth having on your bench. Many knowledgeable people recommend Magnum primers with Big Game so I have done just that with good results.

I use Big Game in 150gn RN in 3006 and it's been amazing in that combo. It meters well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry":3lcvtb18 said:
Michael C. Smith":3lcvtb18 said:

I haven't tried It in those rounds but did try it with 100 gr Partition's in my 260. That's one bullet I have had trouble getting to shoot well for some reason and Big Game wasn't any better than other powder. However I have had excellent results with it in the 303 British with 180 gr Speer's, 30-06 with 150 gr E Tip's, 35 Whelen with 250 gr Speer's and 275 gr Woodleigh's, 358 Norma with 200 gr TTSX and 250 gr Speer's and the 375 Ruger with 260 gr and 300 gr Accubonds. Other than a couple of mediocre loads it has worked well in a lot of different rounds so it is worth having on your bench. Many knowledgeable people recommend Magnum primers with Big Game so I have done just that with good results.

Gerry, love you guys, you talk about the fifteen or more different rifles you hunt with and I am stuck with using only the 348---at least 95% of the time. I like the 275 H & H for sheep and goats, but everything else----I am a bit boring I am afraid. Michael, my apologies to go off track here, but Gerry's post made me laugh, at myself

Thankful Otter":1v8dm9og said:
Dr Mike

My grandfather mentioned trying it but did not get to it this year

1. how temp sensitive is it ?
2. where do you buy it ?
3. is it a candidate for reloading the 348 ?

thank you

I found mine a number of years ago at Corlane's in Dawson Creek and then a couple of years ago ordered a bunch of it from a place in Manitoba, after that supplies dried up. Nechako Outdoors in Vanderhoof lists it as available but that was a month ago. I would think it would work well in your 348 if you can find it but I'm sure Varget, H 4350 IMR 4451 and the like would work very well too.

Thankful Otter":yn75dfc6 said:
Gerry, love you guys, you talk about the fifteen or more different rifles you hunt with and I am stuck with using only the 348---at least 95% of the time. I like the 275 H & H for sheep and goats, but everything else----I am a bit boring I am afraid. Michael, my apologies to go off track here, but Gerry's post made me laugh, at myself

Ha Ha, I have had a few rifles in my time but it's been pared down a lot now compared to what it used to be :mrgreen:

Big Game is all I use in 4 different 7mm-08s. If photobucket wasn't the debbil I'd post pics of groups and trophies.

140 AccuBond or Partition, whichever shoots better
47.5 gr Big Game
WLRM (ball powder, better ignition with Magnum primer)
2.805"
3 bulls, one antelope, a truckload of bucks, one shot apiece

120 BT
51.5 gr Big Game
WLRM
2.805"
One mature blacktail, one shot

120 TTSX
49.5 gr Big Game
As above
2.805"
Haven't hunted this load

150 ELDX
46.2 gr BG
As above
2.183"
Haven't hunted this load

All of the above load are sub MOA, usually around .5" or .6".

Big Game is not temp sensitive. I weigh hunting loads but I'll bet it meters well.

P

I think it would probably do fine in a Creedmoor.
I use quite a bit of Hunter which is just a hair slower. Excellent powder imo.

Dwh7271":3bpyq9pb said:
I think it would probably do fine in a Creedmoor.
I use quite a bit of Hunter which is just a hair slower. Excellent powder imo.

Hunter is all I use in a bunch of different .30-06s. Tikka, Weatherby, Winchester, and Browning. Magic. Magnum primers for it, too.

P

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a shot and see how it does. I have a 30 06 that I can try it in also.

I'm waiting on my rifle to come back chambered in 9.3x62. John Barnes has some great data with big game and this cartridge. I've yet to try it though, but seems a lot of folks really like it in several cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2900 +/- fps near max charge with 140 gr Barnes, 22 inch barrel 7mm-08, tight group....

Back