Reloading recipe for E-tip 130 grain 270 Tikka T-3

MTPockets

Beginner
Sep 6, 2017
I need to have a lead free bullet that shoots. I tried the -tip in my 338 Win. mag. but finally gave up. Now I am trying to use the E-tip in my 270 Tikka T-3 but not having much luck. Anyone have a recipe(s) for this bullet and caliber? Suggestions?
Thanks

Welcome aboard, MTPockets; glad to have you with us. Mark has asked for details, which can help tremendously. Keep in mind that the E-Tip, as is true with most monolithic bullets, likes a good jump to the lands. I find that I must allow about 0.100 inches of jump for the best accuracy. Are you allowing any jump?

Thanks for the responses. I measured the jump in the rifle with this bullet and found it to be .130. I have seated the bullets at OACL of 3.328 which is only 0.012 shorter than SAAMI max OACL. So I don't really think it is a seating depth problem. Could be wrong though.
The problem is accuracy. With the Berger Classic Hunter the gun shoots sub 1/2 MOA so I know it shoots. I have only used one powder so far, IMR4350, the same powder I use for the Berger bullet. Starting with 51 grains, then 53 grains, then 55 grains. No consistent placement or groupings.
Rather than work up different loads as guesses and drive the 1 hr.+ round trip to the range, I thought I would try to get some suggestions from people who are successfully using the bullet in 270. Nosler does not give load data specifically for the Etip even though it is a completely different bullet.

If you are trying to find a load for your rifle, I suggest you start in increments up to max pressure or close to max pressure. I would start off with the middle charge between minimum and maximum charges as stated in your manuals and work up in .3 to .4 increments with 3 shot groups. You mentioned you tried 51, 53, and 55 grains which would have jumped over nodes your rifle may like. Your nodes may be between those charges.

Are you familiar with the ladder testing? http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

Ladder test range can be accomplished between 300 and 500 yards. 300 yards has worked for me. It saves bullets and less burning barrels. Or you can do the 3 shot groups in .3 increments. Every one has a preference.

RZDqZUS.jpg

Back