6.5 x 54 Steyr Männlicher Schönauer

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
my sister picked up an old one but in very good condition. she is thinking the 156 norma Oryx, but ask me what I thought and I am asking you fellows.

what are you shooting out of your 6.5 x 54's ?

Best Regards

Jamila

p.s. think medium size game ( like Elk in the United States )

What a neat find for her! Excellent. I should imagine the 156 Oryx would be an excellent bullet in that rifle. I would be comfortable going with a almost any premium bullet even as light as 130 grain.

Before I donated mine to a youth hunter in need of a hunting rifle, I was shooting the 160 Hornady and the 120 Sierra SP. Both gave fine accuracy and function. Was using both with IMR 4350 and PRVI Brass.

The Oryx should be a fine bullet for heavier game. I think a 120 SP or Nosler BT would be a fine bullet for antelope to deer sized game. A 140 grain well constructed soft point might be a good all-around bullet with a bit more range than the RN Oryx. Not sure what's available on your side, but I'm partial to the Speer Hot Cor and Hornady Spire point in lower velocity rounds.

Jamila,

I've read where the flat tip of the 156 grain oryx snags on the chamber of the mannlicher. I've no experience with that cartridge so just passing what I have read. Looks like woodleigh makes a nice 160 grain bullet.

charles, thank you, Mum also mentioned the same thing sir. She felt the 140 wood leigh would be a better all-round bullet than the oryx or the 160 wood leigh out of the 6.5 x 54

Polaris, you are a very generous man. The only reason we, on average, use a little larger bullet than a 120 is because it lets us hunt a larger range of animals. I think we, on average, use heavier bullets than you fellows do. as we usually find a bullet/load that works and that is all we shoot out of it. I notice you guys like to come up with several different loads for each of your rifles.

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila it seems that on the North American Continent there seems to be a need for speed so the use of lighter for caliber bullets.
I have no experience with the 6.5 X 54 so I won't offer any ideas of what you should or could use.
But if I were to be hunting Africa where the animals are more tenacious I do believe I would prefer a heavy for caliber bullet and have thought about it here for my Elk hunt and do use a medium weight for caliber for deer size game here.
We also like to experiment with various weight bullets but then again we are not in a situation where our life may depend on bullet performance.
In the end I usually settle for a premium medium weight bullet for all my hunting needs but would go heavy if the situation called for it.

Africa Huntress":2ctsoglz said:
charles, thank you, Mum also mentioned the same thing sir. She felt the 140 wood leigh would be a better all-round bullet than the oryx or the 160 wood leigh out of the 6.5 x 54
I agree with your Mother and the others, a good 140g bullet would be a great all around bullet. Any pictures of the rifle?

I haven't had a 6.5x54 since some low life decided to break into my truck in Elko Nevada in 1975. IIRC, I used Hornady and Sierra 160 gr. bullets for my deer hunting. The only Norma ammo available, at least where I lived was their 140 gr. load which never did shoot worth a hill of beans in my rifle. Occasionally I could get Norma 160 gr. bullets and that worked very nicely as well. I don't recall any load data though.
I spent years looking for another in reasonably decent shape with no luck. One day I came across a Ruger M77 RSI, the Mannlicher clone in .308. Felt just like I remembered the 6.5 so bought it. That's an adventure in handloading ammo in itself. Just to make a very long story short, I'll just say it took a bit over two years to find a load that rifle liked.
I do have to add, I jealous as all get out over your sister's find. I really loved the one I had.
Paul B.

Dr Mike, April, Paul, Dewey, Nathan, Guy, Hodgeman, Fotis, Charles or any and all of you other fellows who are history and rifle knowledgeable ----an assist please. My mum and April are not returning their calls.

My sister has bought the 6.5 x 54, but is still in Austria, and is negotiating the purchase of either the 9 x 56 MS and/or the 7 x57MS and she is asking about a 9.3 x 57 as well--------I have told her the 6.5 x 54 and 9 x 56 are MS original calibers, but the 9.3 x57 and 7 x 57 are Mauser calibers. And that the 7 x 57 was not manufactured by Steyr until possibly, the late 20.s, or 30.s, maybe 40's.

Mum and April--where are you two when I need you HaHa. Hopefully one of you fellows can either confirm or correct my thoughts so I can get back to my sister

Thank you
Best Regards
Jamila

Jamila, you have a pretty good grasp of the history of cartridges. I believe the 9.3X57 was first manufactured early in the 20th Century. The 7X57 was, of course, Paul Mauser's first commercial success. These two cartridges are Mauser originals, so they would not have been produced by Steyr until somewhat later. The 9X56 and the 6.5X54 were, indeed, Mannlicher–Schönauer produced cartridges.

http://www.mannlicher.org/aboutmannlich ... cteristics

The link may help Jamila.
I have a MSch. 6.5x54 M1903 Takedown version. It's in really great condition but the barrel is shot out and to be replaced by Callum Ferguson at Precision Rifles in Scotland.
It will be a Kreiger barrel and retain the original MSch 6.5x54 Cartridge. Ready by next Aug/Sept.

I tried to find a satisfactory load before finding out the barrel was knackered, and used the Hornady Interlock .264" 160gn RN #2640 bullet. I understand a 160gn bullet was the original bullet used when the cartridge was first developed.
Woodleigh also make a 160gn bullet in .264"
I imagine the Norma Oryx would be good.

It's wonderful to have found a M1903 in good condition, these are so rare today as most have been pitifully poorly looked after and the barrels shot out. Understandable with the age they are now. But the actions if sound can usually be cleaned up and will operate as slickly as ever they did.

The only factory ammunition I have tried is RWS 159gn RN, but measuring the cartridge dimensions and OAL, well, the cartridges are all over the place with huge variations over different areas of the cartridge. All within SAAMI, but significant variations nevertheless.

The 7x57 also known as .275" Rigby cartridge is world renowned as is the 6.5x54 MSch and both were used extensively through the early 20th century, brought into the realms of greatness by the famed early big game hunters in Africa.
Good luck. Cheers, ET

Africa Huntress":1ud5vf2y said:
Polaris, you are a very generous man. The only reason we, on average, use a little larger bullet than a 120 is because it lets us hunt a larger range of animals. I think we, on average, use heavier bullets than you fellows do. as we usually find a bullet/load that works and that is all we shoot out of it. I notice you guys like to come up with several different loads for each of your rifles.

Best Regards

Jamila

I should note, this was not a multi thousand dollar finely finished masterpiece from a European shop. Rather a repurposed Greek military rifle with a good bore that I paid $200 for. Shot well though. Seems like you have a good grasp on your needs for this rifle. A fine old cartridge, with plenty of life left in it.

Dwh7271":3cx7pl80 said:
The 9.3x57 is pretty cool imo.
Other than that, can't improve on Dr Mike. :grin:

I dig my little 9.3x57. Wicked little round. Scoots that 232 grain Oryx out at 2450. I cannot wait to hunt the rifle. Sweet handling little Husky.

ElmerThud":z4vit1oh said:
http://www.mannlicher.org/aboutmannlichers/mannlichercharacteristics

I have a MSch. 6.5x54 M1903 Takedown version. It's in really great condition but the barrel is shot out and to be replaced by Callum Ferguson at Precision Rifles in Scotland.
It will be a Kreiger barrel and retain the original MSch 6.5x54 Cartridge. Ready by next Aug/Sept.

I tried to find a satisfactory load before finding out the barrel was knackered, and used the Hornady Interlock .264" 160gn RN #2640 bullet. I understand a 160gn bullet was the original bullet used when the cartridge was first developed.

It's wonderful to have found a M1903 in good condition, these are so rare today as most have been pitifully poorly looked after and the barrels shot out. Understandable with the age they are now. But the actions if sound can usually be cleaned up and will operate as slickly as ever they did.

The only factory ammunition I have tried is RWS 159gn RN, but measuring the cartridge dimensions and OAL, well, the cartridges are all over the place with huge variations over different areas of the cartridge. All within SAAMI, but significant variations nevertheless.

The 7x57 also known as .275" Rigby cartridge is world renowned as is the 6.5x54 MSch and both were used extensively through the early 20th century, brought into the realms of greatness by the famed early big game hunters in Africa.
Good luck. Cheers, ET

And I cannot wait to see how that sucker shoots with a new Krieger on it.

Fortunately, April did get back to me and my sister in time and George ( Elmer thud ) was also a great help.

dewey and Scotty, the 9.3 x 57 was in pretty bad shape and April recommended that we pass, based upon the condition of the rifle and price. However April was able to assist my sister in securing the 6.5 x 54 MS, the 9 x 56 MS and the Steyr 7 x57 MS. she intends to hunt the 6.5 x 54 for a time or two and then keep it and the 9 x 56 as collectibles as they are in very good condition. she will hunt the 7 x 57, as it is in fair condition but the action alone will still be worth having when it is shot out---at least that is what three women decided, so possibly you gentlemen would have moved in a different direction, but she ( my sister ) has left the building, so to speak ) or Austria anyway, so the deal is done.

Gentlemen --thank you all for your kind responses, and George, your "link" was most helpful

Best regards

Jamila

SJB358":1ot5fkjy said:
ElmerThud":1ot5fkjy said:
http://www.mannlicher.org/aboutmannlichers/mannlichercharacteristics

Good luck. Cheers, ET

And I cannot wait to see how that sucker shoots with a new Krieger on it.

That's the hard part Scotty. You & Dewey have been brilliant help feeding me some load data and it will be so useful later next year. But the wait, heeeee the wait is again going to be long.
The barrel from Kreiger doesn't arrive in UK until early Jan. then the gunsmith needs significant time to run his profile lathe & shape the barrel to the Schoenauer takedown stock. Hooooey...looks like summer 2018 before it's ready to shoot again .. but yes indeed, it should be excellent.
This is a top notch smith doing the work, well renowned & among the very best in the UK.
Looking forward to the end result.

I'm pretty sure the wait will be worth it though. Tough to beat a good Krieger.

Scotty---Elmer Thud

how interesting that the thread moved in this direction

I told the girls yesterday to get a Krieger if the 7 x 57 barrel needs to be replaced. they were going to just pick up a Steyr, which for a hunting rifle would certainly be o.k., but their barrels are all hammer forged, so I thought perhaps a Krieger ( Cut ) would be a tad better. But there are a lot of good hammer forged barreled rifles, hunting today and doing so with no problem, so possibly in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make that much difference.

Back