W760

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I found some W760 on sale so I'm going to try it in the 7mm-08.
7819f8eabdb9b6c0520168f2e9a9a3cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look deadly!
Let us know how W760 shoots for you. I'm thinking that it should perform well for you.

JD338

My little Ruger 7mm-08 shoots the 120g Ballistic Tip very well, good bullet. I use Varget and IMR 4350, both work well. I have wanted to try W760 and Big Game, let us know how W760 works for you.

Other than W760/H414 are supposed to be temperature sensitive, I really haven't found it to me all that much of a problem. I do most of my load work ups in Tucson's very hot time of year so if pressure is going to show up, it should be sooner in the hot weather. So far that has worked out for me.

I don't have a 7-08 yet but do feed several 7x57s. The max load with W760 gave 2800 FPS with the 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and very tight groups. The same load in a custom Mauser 7x57 would lock up the bolt. I do have to add that that rifle shows higher pressure signs even with the anemic factory ammo.

W760 in a 30-06 pushes the 165 gr. AccuBond to 2880 FPS with good accuracy. Again the load was worked up on a hot day, roughly 105*F as I recall. Checking the sights in New Mexico the day before the hunt had the temp at +14*F. No change in point of impact. At a little past 0800 I shot a cow elk at 100 yards, give or take a yard at a temp of +8*F. Load worked as planned.

If it's hot where you do load work up then if you get the chance to test the load when it's really cold you'll know how temperature may affect your rifle's load and adjust accordingly. I have gotten good results for that aspect but others have stated they had some large changes in velocity affecting where the bullet struck. You'll just have to check that out on your own for that rifle.
Paul B.

Loaded up a few 120 Ballistic Tips to try but haven't had time to try them yet.
Seldom a day approaching 90 here and hardly much below freezing.

Bulk version is used in a lot of Win factory ammo. It's in the same speed range as the 4350s so it works in many cartridges. I don't have a 7-08 so I can't specifically help you there. Temp sensitivity always comes up with ball powders. I think it is an overstressed issue in most cases - no pun intended...

W760/H414 is one of my favorite powders. Magnum primers and loads near max pressure always give best accuracy. It can be a bit dirty, So on range days I always bring the bore snake for the caliber I am shooting. Every 10 rounds I pull it through.

Back