444 Marlin

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Got rained out and checked the 444 Marlin this afternoon for our gun season.

Attachments

• IMG_2566.JPG
    IMG_2566.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,877
Excellent. Mine is an 80's version Microgroove and it shoots great!

asBamhBl.jpg

fDfBbx7l.jpg

hizdsHLl.jpg

Looks good. What bullet and load are you using? Was that a 100 yard target? What glass are you using?

JD338

Every time I see a 444 Marlin I think of when I lived in WV for a while. I was at a local sporting goods store that was also a checking station. It was the Saturday that, Jr. 16 years old and under, deer hunting season opened. A fellow pulls up with a HUGE 12 point buck in his truck with his 4 year old daughter. Swears that she killed it shooting his 444 Marlin. Ya sure.

Jeez guys, it's been a while since I touched off some out of the 444, but I don't recall it being even close to those groups. Good job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fotis,

That is a thumper of a load there.
Excellent accuracy too.

JD338

You guys get some GREAT groups from your big bore Marlins... Do you think other lever-gun users settle too easily for modest accuracy? We tend to think of these things (at least I do) as moderate-range thumpers, and that they don't need to produce sub MOA accuracy.

Do we just give up too easily? I know that when I was loading for the .45/70, if I got "reasonable" accuracy, I was happy. Never intended to use it on game beyond 150 yards anyway, so... 1.5 or even 2 inch groups at 100 yards was fine with me.

Guy

Fotis' groups aren't all that great. He just puts tape over the flyers. ;)

Just kidding, Fotis. Great shooting!

It is a source of amazement at how accurate many lever guns can be. All my Model 94s in .356 shoot sub MOA, which is pretty good. I have seen more than a few Model 94s and various Marlins that deliver MOA and sub-MOA in 30-30, .32 Win, etc. It is pretty humbling to witness. Consequently, the most accurate .22 I've personally shot was a little Marlin 39A. Humbling.

bdbrown66":2dtgt2fr said:
Fotis' groups aren't all that great. He just puts tape over the flyers. ;)

Just kidding, Fotis. Great shooting!

Darn it you figured it out! LOL

Actually, when I go out I take many rifles. Many red dots on the target so may stray holes. On this day I had my 444, 348, 45-70 and 450 Marlin 2 of which had peeps (348 and 45-70 cowboy)

AKChester":329y22fg said:
What's the app you're using that doesn't require standard targets to get the measurements?
If you're a reloader, you most likely have a dial caliper on hand. Measure the extreme spread, outside edge to outside edge, and subtract one caliber to get the center-to-center measurement. For example, if the extreme spread measured 1.250" and you are shooting a .444, the proper group size would be 1.250-.444=.806".

DrMike":33y3tq7u said:
It is a source of amazement at how accurate many lever guns can be. All my Model 94s in .356 shoot sub MOA, which is pretty good. I have seen more than a few Model 94s and various Marlins that deliver MOA and sub-MOA in 30-30, .32 Win, etc. It is pretty humbling to witness. Consequently, the most accurate .22 I've personally shot was a little Marlin 39A. Humbling.

I quite agree Dr Mike. I still remember Cheyenne being told her hunting with a lever action ( win 348 ) and without glass would not let her fill the freezer.

Also Tecumeh, we sort of forgot you started the thread with sone excellent shooting results, after we saw the post from Fotis.

both of you gentlemen are vey good marksmen with a lever action rifle. Well done

JD338":3pp84p3s said:
Looks good. What bullet and load are you using? Was that a 100 yard target? What glass are you using?

I'm using H322 with a 265 gr Hornady bullet from my 444P guide gun. I haven't looked but I"ve been told that Remlin has discontinued production of the 444?

JD338

Back