Testing Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 280 Rem

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Finally got around to trying out the 140 gr. Federal TBT in the 280..First time out and it appears there is a lot of potential with them..Tried 4895, RL-22, and Rl-26...22 and 26 were both about even in the accuracy dept..I didn't have a spare battery for the chrono and it died about halfway through, so I'll have to get a speed report next time, but should be quite fast...They like a long jump..These were back .075. The ones set back at .020 didn't do as well...I think there is more to squeeze out of them, since this was my first trip out with them...the .284 model does not have a cannelure, contrary to the ad and has 2 milled rings instead of 3..they seat very easy (except getting used to feeling the grooves slip by the case mouth, that kinda set me aback the first time..LOL) I shot about 50 of them, so we'll see how well the nickel plating and grooves reduce fouling..

Attachments

• 20170916_121348 (9).jpg
    20170916_121348 (9).jpg
    3 MB · Views: 947
Those bullets look like they should preform very well, the old TBBC were very accurate in my 375 H&H back in the day, but so were the old Barnes 270 XLC's in that gun.

The grooves are a lot like what Barnes does to their solid copper bullets, acts as a gas check for the copper to move into to relieve pressure.

Federal doesn't say what's the bullet coated with? I wish they'd just leave well enough alone, just another thing to remove from the barrel IMO.

Looking good! I can't wait to try them. Got a bunch on the shelf but I haven't had the time to load any yet.

longrangehunter":28ojuh8b said:
Those bullets look like they should preform very well, the old TBBC were very accurate in my 375 H&H back in the day, but so were the old Barnes 270 XLC's in that gun.

The grooves are a lot like what Barnes does to their solid copper bullets, acts as a gas check for the copper to move into to relieve pressure.

Federal doesn't say what's the bullet coated with? I wish they'd just leave well enough alone, just another thing to remove from the barrel IMO.

They say its a nickel coating

Look good. Should make for a great hunting load.

JD338

I certainly enjoyed great success with the TBBC, so the Tipped TB bullet should be a great performer.

desertcj":38jkcqd8 said:
I'd like to see this bullet tested on some milk jugs!

It's not allowed at the range where I shoot, but we are going to the cabin next weekend, and I plan to do a jug test with them over there..I'll report back.

Back