Case neck wall thickness

brikwhitt

Beginner
Oct 9, 2016
I picked up another box of Nosler 280 AI brass from my local gun shop this weekend. I decided to check the case neck thickness with a sinclair case neck thickness gage. I had three boxes to get through, so I turned on ESPN to watch some college football, and get to sorting.

What I found was roughly 50% of the brass checked had a case neck variation of .0005 - .0007, and the rest was .0015 - .002. Normally I exspect this much variation from Win, Fed, or Remmy brass, but thought the Nosler brass would be a little more cosistent, or I would see a higher percentage of more uniform neck thickness.

I currently do not turn necks because my chamber is not a tight neck chamber. According to my blue print for the reamer my chamber neck dimension is .3156. I measure the neck diameter of a loaded round at .310, so thats .0028 of clearance between a chambered round and the chamber wall. If I turn the necks, how much do you figure will be to much. I thought of setting up a case neck turner to barely skim a case which shows .0005 variation in case neck thickness, and turning the rest enough to knock down the high spots which should greatly improve uniformity.

Does that sound good, or should I just kull them out for foulers, and not worry with it. As much as they cost, I certainly would rather save them if possible. Thata a lot of money to not salvage them.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IME turning necks for uniformity does not enhance accuracy enough to even be noticed in most rifles. However, removing the high spots couldn't hurt. Turning necks is a tedious PIA so I rarely do it unless there is a compelling reason.

Back