What .338 Win Mag brass do you guys use?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Years back, when I loaded for the 338 WinMag I used Win SS Super new brass. I got a lot of loads out of them too. I was wondering what you avid 338WM guys like to use and for what bullet weight/speeds you hunt with? So far, I'm abandoning the 338 RCM idea and keeping the 338 Federal for the family. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get another wood stocked Ruger 77 MKII like I had ( and enjoyed using) back in the early 90's. I found one with a Limbsaver pad installed for a hair over $500. I'm gonna do it!
:twisted: :wink: I had a good run with the 35 Whelen (especially in AI) but the easy handling Classics and the newer 24" CDL SF SS are both first cousin to a 1000K, and that's before doing any bedding, trigger work....pffft, no way. I can load the 338WM down but it sure is hard getting the 338F and the 338RCM "up", ha. So what brass do you guys like nowadays?

I'm using Nosler seconds and Winchester. I just picked up the Win brass from Precision Reloading and only had to throw one away when I was prepping it because it had a split neck. I did run them all threw a FL sizing die, camphor the flask holes and case mouths, but was cheaper then Nosler.

So this is the "new" Winchester brass, not the older stuff from years ago? I was wondering how they looked. I had some for my last 7mm Rem Mag and many of them were cracked at the neck and shoulder area. The "worst" was some once fired Federal....what a waste of money! Way too soft, even for moderate loads. Thanks Uncle Roger! Oh yeah, I just posted on Rifles section that I found a nice used MKII 338 like I had years ago...on Layaway! :)

preacher":3q9yz3k7 said:
So this is the "new" Winchester brass, not the older stuff from years ago? I was wondering how they looked. I had some for my last 7mm Rem Mag and many of them were cracked at the neck and shoulder area. The "worst" was some once fired Federal....what a waste of money! Way too soft, even for moderate loads. Thanks Uncle Roger! Oh yeah, I just posted on Rifles section that I found a nice used MKII 338 like I had years ago...on Layaway! :)
Yep new stuff. I haven't fire formed any yet so I don't know how it will hold up but except for the usual bent case mouths that I even got from Nosler it looks good. I used a Redding FFL sizer die with a elliptical expander ball to straighten the case mouths and didn't loose a one and they all came out looking like new. If you already have the Redding die you can get the elliptical expander ball separate.

G'Day Fella's,

In the past, Rem but these days Sako.
Quality +!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

I haven't seen any Sako brand up here, but I bet it is the same quality as Lapua. thanks Homer. You a Woodleigh user?

G'Day Fella's,

When Lapua make the brass, I use it. When not, I go for Sako and Norma respectively.

Yes Preacher, with almost all of my big game rifles, Woodleigh's are loaded up.
No only a great product, they Shoot to!
DSCN0651.JPG

Regards
Homer

What weight/style ( PP or SN) Woodleigh do you use on those Sambar and how fast do you push them?

Back