Labradar question....

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Just an academic question.
How can you use the downrange velocities (25 50 75 100 yds. etc) that the unit displays?

I mean why even have them? Granted if it read the bullet at 300-600 yards you can determine BC (I guess) but why this?

Where does the muzzle have to be (with/without muzzle brake) in relation to the unit?

1) I think it's mostly just academic, though I suppose it helps us picture the bullet's arc as it slows down. Also, if you plug in the bullet weight (in grains) before you shoot you will also have the Kinetic Energy at the same distances, which may help analyze the downrange power of the round at impact.

2) The unit is settable for the offset from either side of the Labradar, iirc it can be set at 6, 12 or 18 inches. I use 6" for my 45ACP pistol shooting and 12" for my rifle. Generally the muzzle should be a little in front (toward the target) of the unit.

I believe it's covered more fully in the manual or perhaps in some of the videos they've produced since I got mine.

Commo

Fotis... you are right the readings are pretty much useless.... but it can do it and some people might find it kind of cool.
Regarding the positioning I have seen some charts somewhere about where to position for different muzzle deals.
I don't think I've tried anything with a muzzle brake yet by my lab radar... I will probably try to position it back and off to the side as much as possible. And of course some muzzle brakes bring the blast backwards and some don't.

They want the muzzle in front is about it. Though you do need to protect the unit from any shot debris. I mostly shoot suppressed and it has picked those shots up without trouble. It does use the shot to trigger the Doppler.

The downrange velocities will allow you calculate a corrected BC, even at shorter distances. Most ballistic calculators already do this if they are provided with accurate input information.

Back