Do you junk brass when...

Not necessarily, it depends on if your primer pockets are tight. I only use those for practice if safe, never for hunting though just to be sure.

My practice over the past 40 years of loading has been to work up SLOWLY a load. I usually find the accuracy I want long before I run into pressure signs. I have experienced a time or two of large pressure spikes with just a little bit between two loads of certain powders that did leave ejector marks on the cases and I junked them because primer pockets were also loose. Retumbo powder has done this. When I was working up loads for a 264 Win mag I was 1 1/2 grs under the book max loads and everything was good. Accuracy was outstanding also so I went up another 1/2 gr to see what happened. Very stiff bolt lift and ejector marks. I fired two rounds just to verify it was not something that was a fluke. Since then I have heard of others finding the same thing with Retumbo. I love it with the right loads but be careful when near the top loads. I does make my 264 Win mag rock. 130 Accubonds 3350 fps with sub moa accuracy.

I junk it and just move on. Life is too short and too precious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj":8wv9mxva said:
Do you junk brass that has an ejector witness mark on the case head?

Nope. If the primer pockets are still tight I'll keep using it. I do however back the charge weight down so it doesn't keep happening.

TackDriver284":3t37f0ij said:
I 'll keep using them until primer pocket gets loose and toss it.
+1 ...... I don't work up until I find a sticky bolt lift, or shinny ejector mark, or case head expansion over and above the norm! Why you might ask, and my answer will always be just work within the expected velocity range of a given bullet/cartridge unless you've just made a new wildcat cartridge and move on to accurate ammunition that has precision for POI/POA, and be HAPPY!

I was within the expected velocity range for the cartridge and powder. I believe it was due to excessive oil in the chamber. The case was all lubed up when extracted and subsequent as well as increasing charge weight did not have ejector marks on the case head. I will probably keep using it unless the primer pocket is stretched, which I do not believe it to be.

Heck no... the primer pockets are the only ones I listen to....well....
That is unless it's Federal virgin fired WSM brass with the really bright shiny marks and expanded pockets...lol!

I asked this a while back, and I just started segregating them for use in known safe loads..

Nope, - not if the primer pockets are OK.
Use them as normal but definitely, back off the load so it doesn't happen again.

I follow the same procedure... primer pockets seem to tell the pressure story based on my 26+ years of reloading.

I used to keep brass with loose pockets on hand for practice loads. As I get older (still not 50 yet, however :) ) and don't reload as much in the off-hunting season months, I find it simply easier to size the cases, trim, and prime them and junk the loose pockets. I simply fire the loose pocket primed cases in the rifle for some trigger practice then toss them. If you haven't fired off a primed case, it drives home how powerful those primers are. When I was a kid my dad took me out back and fired off a primed case in his 300 Savage to drive home the point that primers are potent.

Back