I put the 200 gr bullets away...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Was prepping a bunch of 30-06 brass, and had three boxes of 200 gr Nosler Partitions sitting there on the loading bench. Was thinking I'd just load up a hundred more of the same loads I took to Alaska in the spring:

200 gr Partition, H4350, 2600 fps, excellent accuracy

But, got to thinking about hunting season this year, and other than an off chance at a bear or elk, it's going to be all about mule deer. I have a great load, well proven, for that:

165 gr Ballistic Tip, H4350, 2900+ fps, excellent accuracy

Also have a lot more 165's on hand than 200's. So, reluctantly, I put the 200's back in storage. Perhaps to await another trip for something big & heavy...

On with the 165's now! Heck, they sure did well last fall: black bear, mule deer, pronghorn & elk. I suspect they'll still do just fine this year. It's nice to have a standard load, but for some reason I sure did grow fond of those 200 gr Partitions...

Guy

I tried them in my 300 Wby and never could get the 200's to shoot worth a darn. They are an awesome looking pill though!

It is great to have options. The 200s sure did work for you last year, and I don't doubt that the 165s will work well this year (if you don't carry the 25-06 or the 30-30 or...).

Right now I shoot 180gr Accubonds in my 300wsm but I have thought about trying 180gr Ballistic Tips or dropping down to 165gr Ballistic Tips just for the heck of it. Those 200gr Partitions sure looked to have served you well! But as you know, those 165's won't let you down!

I liked the 200 grain partitions. They worked great on wildebeest and gemsbok. I used them this summer and I have a few left. I will save them for my next trip to Africa.

For this year, my theme is 165 grain bullets. I have loaded up 168 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Tips over RL16, RL17, RL19, 4451, IMR4350 and Hunter. I have also loaded up the 165 grain Hornady Interlock with the same powder combos. I will start culling next month and will shoot a lot of white tail deer with all of the meat donated to the homeless shelters.

Last year was 110 grain Barnes TTSX at 3500 fps.

Next year will be 125's. I already have a supply of BT and Accubonds to load up.

I try to change it up every year and use one weight for the whole season and catalog each bullet, distance, reaction, penetration, etc...

It's sort of funny. A guy on another forum is asking people if a 180 BT from a factory .30-06 would work for elk. A lot of responses to use it and then several more saying Nosler says it's a deer bullet, so I wouldn't use it. I guess those guys have seen the success Guy, and others, have had with the BT's.

I sure love those 200gr PT for hog and elk, and they will work on deer, but hey, the 165/168 is always a great 30-06 bullet, and some think that's its pretty heavy for deer! I would have thought you would be back on that 25-06 after last years "Year of the '06", ha.

preacher":cgyo01yc said:
I sure love those 200gr PT for hog and elk, and they will work on deer, but hey, the 165/168 is always a great 30-06 bullet, and some think that's its pretty heavy for deer! I would have thought you would be back on that 25-06 after last years "Year of the '06", ha.

You mean those ol "Blue Cyclones." :grin:

Well, I do have a lot of Blue Cyclones all loaded up and the 25-06 is shooting real well.... :grin:

Hey guy....if you want to play with a real Heavy, I have some Woodleigh 240rn that shoot very well in every 30-06 I've tried them in! I'll give them to you, just send me $7.50 for postage and they're yours! :)

Back