25-06 Accubond Loads

MisterHunter

Beginner
Sep 15, 2017
Just started hand loading several months ago. Shoot a Mossberg 4x4 25-06, 1-10 twist. It loved Federal Premium Silver Ballistic Tips in 117 grain but I would really like to use the AccuBond in 110grains. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I thought I would ask the collective knowledge here if anyone has any findings they can share? Thank you for sharing!!

Welcome aboard; and welcome to the fraternity of hand loaders. Several of those posting regularly use the 25-06, an excellent cartridge, to be sure. You're always well advised to consult the data Nosler provides both in their loading manual and online. This is pressure-tested data. Moreover, they give you their confidence load that gave the most consistent data. That data shows that a maximum charge of 51.0 grains of IMR4831 gives the most consistent loads. QuickLoad gives similar information when you take into consideration the lot-to-lot variations observed on any data set. Do drop back at least 5% and work up the load carefully, watching for pressure signs.

I loaded some for my stepson's Marlin 25-06 and I'm pretty sure I used 4831 in it. He has killed numerous deer and coyotes with the same load and it has worked WELL. I'm at work and don't have access to my loading info right now.

If your gun shoots them well, I have little doubt you will be disappointed in the AB's performance on game.

Ron

For years my 'go-to' load in one rifle was 51.5 gr of IMR4831. At the time I started loading that, max for a 120 gr bullet was 53 gr.
Fast forward and I had some bad experiences with the bullet I was using and started trying different one's out. The AccuBond was one that interested me as there are occasions I might have an opportunity for some larger exotic animals.
The barrels on both of my rifles are 'nearly shot out' and 'almost shot out' so I started trying different powders with the AB.
I went through the usual suspects: IMR4831, H4831, IMR 4350, H4350, RL22, RL26, Retumbo and H1000.
Someone suggested trying IMR7977 as it's one of Hodgden's 'Extreme' powders and is suppose to be more temp stable than the others.
JACKPOT!
Since, to my knowledge, none of the bullet makers or Alliant have tried this powder in the 25-06, I'll refrain from stating the load. But I'm getting .4" groups consistently out of both rifles with velocities in the 3200 fps range.

Bbear, I looked on Hodgdon's site and they list 7977 for the 25-06 for bullet weights from 85-120. Just an FYI.

Ron

My 25-06 really likes 54 grains H4831 with the 110 AB. I hope to kill an antelope with it this fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say I use the Nosler 110gn AccuBond exclusively in my rifle & have taken many red stags with the load and rifle. It's very very reliable and provides fast kills out to 300yds.

The data I use is as follows and may or may not work in your rifle .. usual precautions apply.

Blaser K95 Luxus, 22" barrel
Cases: Remington trimmed 2.484", F/L resized & anneald
Headspace: F/L size to your fired case dimension (mine is 2.046")
Primer: Fed. 210Match
Bullet: Nosler 110gn AccuBond
Powder: IMR4831 x 53gns
Comparator OAL (Ogive-case head): 2.870") - .040" from lans.
Actual OAL variable around 3.399"
MV: 3,120fps & ES 22fps
Concentricity: Bullet/case body .002" or less.
Average group @ 100yds .360" rested, nil wind. 2.1" @ 300yds 3-4mph cross wind.

Superbly consistent and extremely accurate in my rifle, but may be a rather long cartridge for some magazines.
Good luck, ET

Great intel! Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations! Based on my range results this weekend, IMR4831 and 52gns and OAL of 3.20 seemed to be what my rifle liked best. I will tinker with it a little bit but was very pleased with a 1.25 inch grouping at 200 yards. I really appreciated the information shared by the group - THANK YOU!

The 25-06 is probably my personal favorite cartridge. I have a 1976 Rem 700.

24" barrel and 1:10

I like MRP with the 110 AccuBond
and the 115/120 PT and BT.

I use winchester brass(67.45 h2o) and work up to about 56.6 (~3075fps)with the MRP as a max load. I think there's a sweet spot about 54.5 (~2950fps)as well.

Overall length is 3.330 and I think D2L is 3.340 if i remember correctly.

I've witnessed this load perform remarkably at 250 yards on whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back