Can someone with the Hornady reloading manual help me out.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
I’m needing the COL on the 286 grain hornady sp-rp for the 9.3x62 Mauser. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks leadchucker! Fixing to make some up as we speak.

They did pretty good, recoil was also pretty stout lol. I ended up going 3.140” for my COL. 58.7-59 grains of varget got me slightly over 2400 fps with the 286 spire Point. I know with Big game powder some are getting around 2500 fps plus, but that may be a bit to much recoil for me! Roughly 8 pound rifle with plastic recoil pad, and 2400 fps is enough for me haha!

Shot around 1-1.5” at 50 yards, and around 2 1/2” at 100. Honestly I can’t do any better than that with the XS ghost ring sights! Should be a hammer though in the thickets.

That should clobber deer. That Norma 232 Vulkan seemed very accurate in my 9.3x57

Sounds good. The 286 gr Hornady seems to have a reputation of being a bit soft so it should work fine on deer, only one way to find out :) Big Game is an excellent powder in my Whelen with heavy bullets and a bunch of other rounds, it seems to do real well in the 9.3x62 too.

I'm with Scotty though in thinking the various 232 gr bullets from Norma would be fantastic for deer and they even shoot moose with those in Sweden.

G'Day Fella's,

Cleveland48, if you don't mind, tell us a bit about your 9.3x62 rifle.
I'm contemplating building one myself.

Regards
Homer

HomerOz":1ih42sxo said:
G'Day Fella's,

Cleveland48, if you don't mind, tell us a bit about your 9.3x62 rifle.
I'm contemplating building one myself.

Regards
Homer
It is a 98 mauser that was fitted with a 308 Winchester barrel back in the 80’s when my dad bought it. He gave it to me and I had it rechambered to 30/06. I just finished having it rebored to 9.3x62. It has 22” barrel with the XS ghost ring sights. I did have some feeding issues when I got the rifle back. All the rounds on the right side of magazine would feed fine, but ones on the left side would always jam going into the chamber. I messed with the magazine box some and opened up the feed rails a bit, no it cycles perfect. Will try to get a pic of rifle posted sometime today.

d29cc1e6c00e03a3ed1f61704ccda2ef.jpg
a708351a71f9839a912707e98aa32385.jpg

Sorry forgot to post pics the other day. Here she is, and yes I had to put the sissy pad on it lol. The 1/4” hard plastic fajen wasn’t gonna cut it lol.

That looks like the perfect brush gun. I am having a 35 WAI built right now, but it is a slick barrel. My next one will be either a 9.3 or a 375 and will have either express sights or a peep like yours.

5shot":q63v6ces said:
That looks like the perfect brush gun. I am having a 35 WAI built right now, but it is a slick barrel. My next one will be either a 9.3 or a 375 and will have either express sights or a peep like yours.
Thanks 5shot! That 35 WAI is gonna be a thumper for sure. I keep looking at pics of custom mausers with express sights. Doesn’t get much more classy than that. And deep down would really like those express sights myself.

That pad would be most welcome on a lightweight thumper like that. Very cool gun.

Cleveland48":2o0d2ycw said:
Thanks 5shot! That 35 WAI is gonna be a thumper for sure. I keep looking at pics of custom mausers with express sights. Doesn’t get much more classy than that. And deep down would really like those express sights myself.

Based on some QL calcs that guys on the forum ran for me, it looks like I might be able to get 2450 with a 280 Swift A-Frame. Don't know if I want that much punishment though!

5shot":2ji34ncp said:
Cleveland48":2ji34ncp said:

Based on some QL calcs that guys on the forum ran for me, it looks like I might be able to get 2450 with a 280 Swift A-Frame. Don't know if I want that much punishment though!

I got 2460 fps with the 275 gr Woodleigh out of the standard Whelen with Big Game so you should be able to hit that with the 35 Whelen AI. Yeah it kicked a bit in a 7 lb 4 oz gun :shock:

Big game seems to be a popular powder. I know some folks are getting 2500-2550 fps using big game and 286 grain bullets in the 9.3x62. Believe I’m gonna stay in the 2350-2400 fps range range though.

Can’t wait to see how the 9.3 works for you! Ultra cool cartridge and man, it will really lob those big pills real hard.

Back